Thread: Champ 600 Caps

Forum Member

Champ 600 Caps

I have a Champ 600. Has a bit of hum. The type where the volume control doesn't do anything with it, but unplugging the speaker does.

Moving the output transformer around 3 inches closer to the preamp tube has cut the hum down considerably. I could extend the leads and probably and really put a dent in it. I need to replace an input jack, so my question is, is it worth the effort to also recap the amp? I hear of some doing it, but I am feeling lazy and not sure if there is any benefit.

Re: Champ 600 Caps

Is this a newer amp or an original from the '50s?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Is this a newer amp or an original from the '50s?
    I definitely should have specified. My apologies. Reissue. Moving the trans has made it much quieter than it was. Maybe less than my refrigerator. I notice the caps are Chinese and probably cheap.

I asked because an old amp might have old filter caps that need replacing regardless of noise plus the old Champs had a power switch built into the volume control which puts the AC really close to your signal which can induce noise. There's a lot going in in a small space in a Champ which can induce noise if you're not careful. The Mojotone tweed Champ clone hums a little. I hear it when I'm alone in my studio but it's not noticeable at all when other people are in the room. Even when we're not playing.

I haven't seen any specific complaints about bad filter caps in these amps. It can't hurt to replace them, though I'd search Google and guitar amplifier specific forums for more info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I asked because an old amp might have old filter caps that need replacing regardless of noise plus the old Champs had a power switch built into the volume control which puts the AC really close to your signal which can induce noise. There's a lot going in in a small space in a Champ which can induce noise if you're not careful. The Mojotone tweed Champ clone hums a little. I hear it when I'm alone in my studio but it's not noticeable at all when other people are in the room. Even when we're not playing.

I haven't seen any specific complaints about bad filter caps in these amps. It can't hurt to replace them, though I'd search Google and guitar amplifier specific forums for more info.

Thank you for your reply. I am glad my laziness was actually good for once lol. It is better since I moved the transformer, and replaced the input jacks that were iffy when I bought it. A much quieter animal. I keep hearing I should put a different speaker in it. I am not sure yet if I want to.

I'm impressed that there was even room in the reissue or that it was even possible to move the transformer.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm impressed that there was even room in the reissue or that it was even possible to move the transformer.
    I wish I had good pics of what I did. I will take some when I put the new speaker in. I moved it a few inches from where it was. I could have spliced in new leads and really put it down rage. But why bother. I just reran the wires, moved it as far as I could go, marked a couple of spots, hit them with a punch, drilled and tapped it. Snug as a bug.

Its enough to keep it a little quieter. I did think about trying rubber bushings. I have seen that tame a few noisy transformers.

Forum Member

This is what all I have done