Thread: Back on bass again, but ...

Back on bass again, but ...

figures, I finally get a bass (in the "what have you bought ... etc" thread) and now my bass amp is dodgy. It's a little Acoustic 260 bass stack. I bought it probably 4 or 5 years ago, got all of a buck and a quarter into it. It has a frying bacon sizzle on lower notes that sustain for more than a couple of beats.

Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a new rig. It won't be an urgent search, I have means to record with it and that was the primary reason why I wanted a bass. I have no pretensions of gigging, at best I'll probably be jamming with friends on acoustic guitars. As much as I'd love an Ampeg V-4 or V-4B, I doubt that'll be in the cards any time soon.

I might be more in line with some sort of bass specific DI/preamp kind of deal. Maybe a head/preamp with DI out. I might as well keep the cabinet from the Acoustic.

I don't know if I want to get a combo or not, probably not something as big as those B100 1x15. I really liked my little SWR Workingman 10 but they're really hard to find. They had QC issues and the good ones are being held onto. I'll have to go to GC and look at bass amps but they seem to only have Markbass stuff there and it isn't cheap.
    Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 06-05-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: past tense future protection for yesterday's tomorrow
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Back on bass again, but ...

Fender Rumble? I've been looking at a 40. I think it covers all your requirements.

Forum Member

I know it sounds nuts, but several years ago, I traded a friend for a Behringer "Ultrabass" tilt back practice amp. It has a 15, and I think 300 watts. My wife loves the little thing! I leave it over at one of the places we jam, and coming home Sunday she was raving about the tone from the little amp!

Fender Rumbles are awesome. I have a 350 and a 40. I use the 40 to play at small acoustic gigs. The 350 stays in my band’s practice room. It gets compliments all the time. I’d go with something larger than the 40. Sounds fuller.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison