Thread: The Guitar is NOT Dead!

The Guitar is NOT Dead!

Not long ago I heard gloom-n-doom stories about how the guitar industry was dying, since no one was buying guitars anymore, and the makers were all suffering declining sales.

So, why is it I am now getting advertisements online for guitar makers I've never heard of before? Or, at the very best, have only heard of in passing?

Two cases in point. The other day, I kept seeing ads for
    B & G Guitars. I decided to check them out. Truthfully, they didn't make me want to go out and buy one, but they are (mostly) USA made, crafted by hand, and don't look half bad (I'm a bit confused by their use of "classical" guitar tuners, but that may be just me). They do boast a photo of Joe Walsh playing one in concert.

Then, yesterday, I saw an ad for
    Orangewood Guitars. What caught my eye was their "Mini" or travel guitar line. Well, shucks, I already bought a KLŌS guitar (also found by an ad), so I'm not in the market (and I don't know if Orangewood guitars are easily dissembled), but they look pretty nice. Good price, too.

What's next? Anyone got a nifty "off-brand" guitar they'd recommend?

Re: The Guitar is NOT Dead!

No, it ain't.

See, I don't think musical instruments, especially guitars, will ever really "die", so to speak.

Rock n' Roll and blues (including hard blues) are slowly becoming genres for aficionados, just like 50s Cool Jazz has. There are still great players out there, though, and it'll be a while before that happens for real.

There's actually some GREAT guitar music being written and played, and all we have to do is consume it, as we did with the classic stuff like 30, 40 years ago. Too many people frown upon modern artists saying they're ripoffs, or simply not like the good old monsters we had back in the 70s. That's just wrong, IMHO.

I mean, ok: Greta van Fleet is not Led Zeppelin, nor is Philip Sayce SRV. John Mayer ain't Jerry Garcia, but what the hell, they're great and they're here. I've happily paid for legal streaming and downloads of these artists' stuff, and I go to concerts whenever I can. I also talk about them in forums and groups, it's good to share good music with other people.

I wonder if it's a similar phenomena to Harley Davidson motorcycles. They have been producing the same bike for so long that there's no incentive to buy a new one, since the used market is so saturated with used and almost new bikes for a fraction of the money. The guys my age aren't buying any new bikes as we get older. The millennials and forward have no interest in anything that they can't do on their phone. HD has all but given up on selling V-twin cruisers.

Especially for Fender, I see a lot of parallels with guitars. 40 years ago, the average guy in a decent rock band was in his 20's. Now the average seems to be in the 60's. I have all the guitars I need, so I'm not buying new ones.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Let's be honest here. The electric guitar is still relatively new, emerging in the 1940's. Even the steel string acoustic guitar is new compared to the classical and such. The loyalty to brands can be fierce. Gibson's quality is in the dumpster. Fender is experiencing a revival. The market is flooded with cost effective imports. Yet some are dedicated to "their brand". The newer players aren't interested in owning dozens of guitars. They're comfortable with one or two. Modeling amps eliminate the "need" of a dozen amps. Tubes are now just for the nostalgic, and are dying off quickly. Like it or not, the world evolves and trends change.
    There is no more Oldsmobile or Pontiac cars being made, yet GM is still around. Colt firearms produces few of anything these days, yet an enormous amount of manufacturers grew overnight in the firearms industry. Change inevitable, yet human beings resist it to their own destruction at times. Just as when we were young, as long as there's a punk kid wanting to wail and make noise/music, there's going to be guitars. But don't be surprised if the new generation doesn't buy multiples of them. Patterns and trends. Everything has patterns and trends. We Lakota have an old saying; "Nothing lasts forever, only the mountains and the sky." Everything changes.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I wonder if it's a similar phenomena to Harley Davidson motorcycles. They have been producing the same bike for so long that there's no incentive to buy a new one, since the used market is so saturated with used and almost new bikes for a fraction of the money. The guys my age aren't buying any new bikes as we get older. The millennials and forward have no interest in anything that they can't do on their phone. HD has all but given up on selling V-twin cruisers.

Especially for Fender, I see a lot of parallels with guitars. 40 years ago, the average guy in a decent rock band was in his 20's. Now the average seems to be in the 60's. I have all the guitars I need, so I'm not buying new ones.

Chuck
    I agree with this except for the part about millennials having no interest in anything they can't do on their phone . A lot of the millennials that I know are into experiences rather than things. It leads to the same end, though (for the manufacturers). If they want to ride a motorcycle or play a guitar, they don't care if it's shiny and new , a precious antique or a cheap guitar, they just want to ride and play. A Squier Strat with a SS amp and a hand me down Kawasaki are fine. They could be replaced next month by a drumset and a drift car, or a flight to New Zealand to sleep on a friend's couch.
    Last edited by Don; 05-25-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Chuck

Speaking of Harleys, I often wonder if motorcycle enthusiasts have a "vintage hype" like guitar lovers, who have elevated 50s instruments to holy grails (and astronomic prices).

i often hang out with car aficionados and they do like the old cars but those don't cost the wazoo and are regardes as what they are: collectible old cars. I'll probably ask the guys in the biker club I'm friends with later.

Sergio, the whole idea and charm of the V-Twin Harley is it's retro feel. Most modern motorcycles are much better performing, safer, more comfortable and more affordable, but people still drive Harley's for the old-school vibe. Comparing one to a BMW, GoldWing, or even a 750 Nighthawk is pointless to a Harley owner. I enjoy riding a Harley for short trips or maybe even a day trip, but if I had to really travel somewhere I'd be on different bike. I've always viewed the rank and file of Harley owners as "hobbyists" or "enthusiasts", but if you needed a bike for a daily driver and primary mode of transport you'd probably make a different choice.

Back in the day I commuted to college on CB750. Dang thing is probably still running all these years later, lol!

Other's views may vary.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

This conversation brings to mind a friend of mine just bought maybe his tenth Corvette. He is down to two (and a Camaro and Cadillac) but is already planning on buying another one - his first, which he located in New Hampshire and is thinking of buying it back from the guy who owns it now. He bought it while he was in high school and has loved them ever since. Do millennials get as fixated on stuff as we do?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Mabie its more of How much further can the Guitar evolve. Look at the popularity of electronic Guitar and Band Games. So it would follow that the instrament's will change along with electronic advanements. digital Drums,Midi Key boards, SS amps.

Sergio, the whole idea and charm of the V-Twin Harley is it's retro feel. Most modern motorcycles are much better performing, safer, more comfortable and more affordable, but people still drive Harley's for the old-school vibe. Comparing one to a BMW, GoldWing, or even a 750 Nighthawk is pointless to a Harley owner. I enjoy riding a Harley for short trips or maybe even a day trip, but if I had to really travel somewhere I'd be on different bike. I've always viewed the rank and file of Harley owners as "hobbyists" or "enthusiasts", but if you needed a bike for a daily driver and primary mode of transport you'd probably make a different choice.

Back in the day I commuted to college on CB750. Dang thing is probably still running all these years later, lol!

Other's views may vary.

Sure, but I mean ok, the Harley is still a trend but do the bikers fetishize 40s and 50s Harleys and Indians and pay dozens of thousands of dollars for one?

I think your post is entirely right, and I feel just that way about guitars. There are much more comfortable guitars than strats or Rickenbackers nowadays (there has been since around the early 80s) but I just don't connect well with them.

But I don't need a guitar that was made in the 50s and needs a neck removal everytime I need a restring and truss rod adjustment: an American Standard gives me enough strat, just as I don't really need a car with a 40s fuel injection system for my main needs...

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Do millennials get as fixated on stuff as we do?
    I'm a late 70s man, which makes me a gen X'er (or am I early millenial? Don't think so), and I never crossed anyone younger than me that shared my passion and attachment for tradition, brands and objects

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    There are much more comfortable guitars than strats or Rickenbackers nowadays (there has been since around the early 80s) but I just don't connect well with them.
    There are?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    There are?
    try a good and well set up Jackson or Ibanez superstrat, or a Parker, for instance. These things almost play themselves.

But it like I said, those just aren’t “me”

try a good and well set up Jackson or Ibanez superstrat, or a Parker, for instance. These things almost play themselves.

But it like I said, those just aren’t “me”
    I've not seen a Parker, but like you, the Ibanez or Jacksons aren't for me.

Just spotted this at Sam Ash. I've never heard of McSwain Guitars, so this is just another example of the guitar not being dead. At $4,425US, I doubt there will be many buyers.

The "collector" with dozens of cars, several dozen or more guitars, and nearly the same amount of amps. Or 200 plus Smith & Wesson revolvers, or 150 Winchester rifles. These guys are obsessed with acquisition. They can never have enough to satisfy their illness. Yes, its an illness. They photograph every one. Can't wait to post a picture on a forum when a member just mentions a model they possess. They're compelled to "display" their possessions. Yes, it is a sickness. They never stop either. Sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    The "collector" with dozens of cars, several dozen or more guitars, and nearly the same amount of amps. Or 200 plus Smith & Wesson revolvers, or 150 Winchester rifles. These guys are obsessed with acquisition. They can never have enough to satisfy their illness. Yes, its an illness. They photograph every one. Can't wait to post a picture on a forum when a member just mentions a model they possess. They're compelled to "display" their possessions. Yes, it is a sickness. They never stop either. Sad really.

Yup. I am in a WhatsApp group of guys who like guitars. One of them is a very good bass player and after a couple of weeks of people discussing expensive and collectible gear, he picked up his Squier Jazz Bass, recorded a short video, sent it in and said “ok, now why don’t we start talking about music, finally? It’s what all that is made for, now ain’t it?”

Once again we're witnessing the typical "thread drift." I'm not sure what collectors or collectability of guitars has to do with this topic. I intended only to show that there are still guitar builders out there creating instruments. Some of them are quite interesting. And expensive! :)

And I personally hate it when the topic slides off into another direction!
    My bad.... I got all philosophical and such!
    I'll stop and go talk guns on another forum.
    Adios!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Once again we're witnessing the typical "thread drift." I'm not sure what collectors or collectability of guitars has to do with this topic. I intended only to show that there are still guitar builders out there creating instruments. Some of them are quite interesting. And expensive! :)

I think the derivation actually makes sense, since many people collect guitars and that habit is part of the market... And we were talking about the guitar surviving as a product to begin with

I think the derivation actually makes sense, since many people collect guitars and that habit is part of the market... And we were talking about the guitar surviving as a product to begin with
    Well, I'm a collector of sorts. I have several guitars I bought solely for their value as rarities. My aluminum Strat, for example. Or my Les Paul Classic Rock II. My Robin Trower Strat, with its personal autograph by its namesake, it a collector's item for me.

But all of my guitars get playing time. I'm considering thinning the herd a bit, as some of them don't get the work they need. The Classic Rock fits in that category, but I still think it's collectible, even if the market doesn't.

None of the recent guitars I posted in this thread are appealing enough for me to dig into my wallet. They look fancy, they're handmade, but the specs on them don't scream, "You must buy me because I sound awesome!"

Forum Member

B & G is made in Israel (except the Crossroads line which is made in China). They are awesome.

I think this belongs in this thread: I recently was curious as to the guitar Brian May (of Queen) played. Turns out, he and his dad made it. It was called the "Red Special."

There is going to be an "official" Brian May signature guitar released later this year. $899 MSRP.

Guitar Center says they'll have them.

now all you need is about a half dozen AC-30 and a Ranger treble boost

(oh, and Brian's talent, that's coming later to a store near you )
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"