Thread: The Sunday Thread for May 26, 2019

The Sunday Thread for May 26, 2019

In the U.S. it's Memorial Day weekend. That means for many, Monday is a day off, me included. As is usual in the area of the U.S., the weekend also brings in the heat of summer -- no wonder the pools open now! We're looking at a hot one today, some predict the temperature will be 95°F (35°C)!

Man, but I'm getting old! I went for a run Friday, and could feel my quadriceps all day Saturday, while I was on my feet working. Afterwards, I went for a bike ride (I'm on a goal to get a minimum of 30 minutes exercise every day), and today I feel like just limping around the house! But I need to get in some good movement, so I'll do my church thing and then play it as it comes.

My daughter is also now three days from her due date. I'm on "grandbaby alert," and have a go-bag in the trunk of my car for when the call comes. I'll be babysitting my granddaughter while my daughter delivers my grandson. It should be quite a week!

Re: The Sunday Thread for May 26, 2019

I'm watching the forecast with a sense of foreboding. There needs to be some warmth outside in order to properly assess the A/C system's effectiveness/efficiency and right now it's calling for sub-70 degrees (and rainy). Unfortunately every time we have to bump the test, it's 2 more weeks at least until they can fit me in again. I'm going to have to ask them since this will be my third deferral that they find a way to work me in sooner. Today is going to be 85 and humid and Tuesday will barely be 60. Rollercoaster weather for sure. Still waiting for my landscaper's spring cleanup if the weather would only cooperate. We haven't seem to go two consecutive days without rain, it sure ain't dry.

Talked with my other brother yesterday, there's a possibility that my nephew might be staying with me if he can work around his allergy to cats, through to mid-August when he goes back to school. The other brother was talking about selling his condo and moving in, still waiting to hear more about that. I have no problem with that just need to know so I can plan on what needs to be done beforehand.

Dragged the grill out from the shed. I'll probably spend the day cleaning it up. I hope I have some gas left, got a hankering for some grilled cajun chicken. We're having nice weather on Memorial Day, first time in quite a few years it seems. Even the rains on Saturday held off until late at night.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'm invited to a gathering at the neighbors across the road. This will occur around noon or so. It is going to be trying in a way as I know only the two families there, and a couple others that often attended these gatherings. The rest are strangers to me. But I usually just smile and nod. One thing though. If one person says "Happy Memorial Day, and thank you for your service" I'm gonna go nuts. Memorial Day evolved from a time when it was about honoring the soldiers lost on both sides in the War Between the States. It was later established as honoring all services and all wars. But that silly little cliche "thank you for your service", is flat worn out. It's just empty words that people say to anyone that was ever in a uniform at any time, and they don't know what else to say. It must be the PC thing to do. The holiday is honoring those who gave it all. Not me, or any other Vet. Just those we lost.
    Rant over.... Here's a cliche for ya "Have a nice day."
    A sincere parting statement from me: "Be safe and hold your family close. And for God's sake, don't get wasted and try to drive home!"
    I forgot what I was going to say...

I had planned on a long weekend - taking Friday off as well as Monday and catching up on stuff around the house. Of course that's when my body decided to give out and get sick so I've been in bed since Thursday morning. I had a horrible cough so I wasn't sleeping, but I could only function horizontally. Friday, a cable snapped on the garage door which required attention. I managed to get that fixed yesterday but then back to bed for another day or two. My doctor screwed things up by not calling in a prescription for antibiotics so I went to a walk-in clinic yesterday and they put in a scrip. I am finally feeling somewhat human and an sleeping better - good thing - my lawn is getting high and I haven't been able to mow it because of rain.

Memorial Day has new meaning for me in the last couple years. I was told my birth father had died in Korea but never thought of him on Memorial Day until a year or two ago. I do now.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

After I watched the Monaco GP we went to visit my niece and her week old son who was born prematurely with some problems. He's in the neonatal intensive care unit but is doing well. We'll know more about how he's doing after some more tests on Tuesday. Then we went out for lobster rolls. It was 86 here!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    In the U.S. it's Memorial Day weekend. That means for many, Monday is a day off, me included. As is usual in the area of the U.S., the weekend also brings in the heat of summer -- no wonder the pools open now! We're looking at a hot one today, some predict the temperature will be 95°F (35°C)!

Man, but I'm getting old! I went for a run Friday, and could feel my quadriceps all day Saturday, while I was on my feet working. Afterwards, I went for a bike ride (I'm on a goal to get a minimum of 30 minutes exercise every day), and today I feel like just limping around the house! But I need to get in some good movement, so I'll do my church thing and then play it as it comes.

My daughter is also now three days from her due date. I'm on "grandbaby alert," and have a go-bag in the trunk of my car for when the call comes. I'll be babysitting my granddaughter while my daughter delivers my grandson. It should be quite a week!

Glad to hear that your Family is about to be blessed with a new member! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    After I watched the Monaco GP we went to visit my niece and her week old son who was born prematurely with some problems. He's in the neonatal intensive care unit but is doing well. We'll know more about how he's doing after some more tests on Tuesday. Then we went out for lobster rolls. It was 86 here!

Prayers for the little one!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    I'm invited to a gathering at the neighbors across the road. This will occur around noon or so. It is going to be trying in a way as I know only the two families there, and a couple others that often attended these gatherings. The rest are strangers to me. But I usually just smile and nod. One thing though. If one person says "Happy Memorial Day, and thank you for your service" I'm gonna go nuts. Memorial Day evolved from a time when it was about honoring the soldiers lost on both sides in the War Between the States. It was later established as honoring all services and all wars. But that silly little cliche "thank you for your service", is flat worn out. It's just empty words that people say to anyone that was ever in a uniform at any time, and they don't know what else to say. It must be the PC thing to do. The holiday is honoring those who gave it all. Not me, or any other Vet. Just those we lost.
    Rant over.... Here's a cliche for ya "Have a nice day."
    A sincere parting statement from me: "Be safe and hold your family close. And for God's sake, don't get wasted and try to drive home!"

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm watching the forecast with a sense of foreboding. There needs to be some warmth outside in order to properly assess the A/C system's effectiveness/efficiency and right now it's calling for sub-70 degrees (and rainy). Unfortunately every time we have to bump the test, it's 2 more weeks at least until they can fit me in again. I'm going to have to ask them since this will be my third deferral that they find a way to work me in sooner. Today is going to be 85 and humid and Tuesday will barely be 60. Rollercoaster weather for sure. Still waiting for my landscaper's spring cleanup if the weather would only cooperate. We haven't seem to go two consecutive days without rain, it sure ain't dry.

Talked with my other brother yesterday, there's a possibility that my nephew might be staying with me if he can work around his allergy to cats, through to mid-August when he goes back to school. The other brother was talking about selling his condo and moving in, still waiting to hear more about that. I have no problem with that just need to know so I can plan on what needs to be done beforehand.

Dragged the grill out from the shed. I'll probably spend the day cleaning it up. I hope I have some gas left, got a hankering for some grilled cajun chicken. We're having nice weather on Memorial Day, first time in quite a few years it seems. Even the rains on Saturday held off until late at night.

I'd love to get that recipe, if you don't mind sharing. We here love all ways of cooking chicken. Is it just grilled? How do you spice it?

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I had planned on a long weekend - taking Friday off as well as Monday and catching up on stuff around the house. Of course that's when my body decided to give out and get sick so I've been in bed since Thursday morning. I had a horrible cough so I wasn't sleeping, but I could only function horizontally. Friday, a cable snapped on the garage door which required attention. I managed to get that fixed yesterday but then back to bed for another day or two. My doctor screwed things up by not calling in a prescription for antibiotics so I went to a walk-in clinic yesterday and they put in a scrip. I am finally feeling somewhat human and an sleeping better - good thing - my lawn is getting high and I haven't been able to mow it because of rain.

Memorial Day has new meaning for me in the last couple years. I was told my birth father had died in Korea but never thought of him on Memorial Day until a year or two ago. I do now.
    Good to know you're ok, my friend!

Had a pretty good Sunday.

I reached the level of "friend of the club" at the motorcycle club I visit, having played a gig at their clubhouse, so they invited me to ride with them for lunch at a roadhouse and some fun.

It was a short ride, an hour or so on the road. I don't own a bike, so I drove the Lancer. We had burgers and coca colas, laughed a lot and rode back to town. Since we were all on our vehicles, nobody drank alcohol, which was pretty good. I'm trying to quit and that was a hell of a fun way of avoiding beer and such.

Spent the rest of the day resting at my GF's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I'd love to get that recipe, if you don't mind sharing. We here love all ways of cooking chicken. Is it just grilled? How do you spice it?
    we have a great butcher shop in town that sell the chicken breasts marinated. I've asked them if they would sell some of the sauce but alas, no. I like to slice it into strips and then grill it. I refrigerate the leftovers and they make for great snacks. I really ought to cook two breasts at a time, it goes pretty quickly. It has a pretty good kick to it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"