Thread: Sunday May 19th coffee and appreciation

Sunday May 19th coffee and appreciation

I'm up early today only slightly unintentional. I've been trying to revamp my sleeping habits they were getting too random and haphazard. More than likely sometime in the next 12 months or so I am going to have to start trying to work again, doing what I have no idea. Had a chuckle last week when I got a recruiting email from a placement firm I haven't talked to in a good dozen years, for an accounting position like the one I last had when I had a 'real' job, one that I did not exactly love.

Among the things I'm trying to do to enhance the resetting of my circadian rhythm is lessening the amount of television and computer time in the hour or two before retiring. The last couple of nights I've been sitting with music books and guitar and really getting into reading. I've had a few 'ah-hah' moments and getting fingerboard time in. When my focus starts to drift and I'm actually feeling tired that's when I know it's time to quit.

I also finally put a roller shade in the north window by my bedroom desk. For nearly 30 years that window hasn't had a shade since the replacement windows went in. I've tolerated the light bleeding through the curtains but it has been throwing off my sleep with the early sunrise of the oncoming summer season.

It's not raining on a Sunday morning for a change or cold and raw. I might go to the flea market.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Sunday May 19th coffee and appreciation

Sunday morning is not the time to become aggravated and frustrated, but that's what's happening to me today.

My iPod died this week, and as I like to listen to music/radio while I'm out getting exercise, I wanted to replace it.

Turns out, Apple no longer makes compact iPods. So I went to Amazon and ordered an off-brand (Chinese) mp3 player. It went back almost as quickly as it arrived. What a cheap piece of junk!

I bought another. It's sturdier, but a) My Mac doesn't recognize it, and b) it keeps disconnecting from my PC in mid-download. It may go back, too.

Hey Apple: How about bringing back the iPod Shuffle? Or the iPod Nano? At least they were reliable!

It’s a dreary, rainy, 41 degree morning here with possible clearing this afternoon and a high around 50 degrees. It was one of those nights where the eyes popped open at 1:30 in the morning and a return to sleep just seemed impossible so watching old television shows and playing solitaire on the IPad has been the activities for the last six hours.

Breakfast and Bloody Marys will be the order of the day shortly. Hope all have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Sunday morning is not the time to become aggravated and frustrated, but that's what's happening to me today.

My iPod died this week, and as I like to listen to music/radio while I'm out getting exercise, I wanted to replace it.

Turns out, Apple no longer makes compact iPods. So I went to Amazon and ordered an off-brand (Chinese) mp3 player. It went back almost as quickly as it arrived. What a cheap piece of junk!

I bought another. It's sturdier, but a) My Mac doesn't recognize it, and b) it keeps disconnecting from my PC in mid-download. It may go back, too.

Hey Apple: How about bringing back the iPod Shuffle? Or the iPod Nano? At least they were reliable!
    I use an IPod Touch loaded with about 80 albums that I can hang on my belt and use ear buds while mowing the lawn etc, and then use it in the car via USB port replacing XM/Sirius on the radio. I also have an older version IPhone with the same albums loaded on it in another of our cars.

It was a beautiful day here yesterday and it looks like today will be almost as nice. It's been a while since I could say that about the weekend.

I'd like to finish up the timing belt change on the Miata (that will include running it up to temp, changing the oil and putting the plastic under tray back on). At the rate that I put miles on this car (about 3,000/year) it'll need this work again in 20-30 years. I'm not looking forward to it!

Mostly, I'd like to go to the Providence flea market.

oops, now it's raining cats and dogs. no flea market today
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

OldStrummer- I agree! I have two iPod classics - one in each car - and they are terrific. I have a ton of music on my iPhone so I don't use them as much, but I loved those things.

Today I'm preparing for a colonoscopy. It's 2:30 and I'm already hungry and food is no option until after the procedure tomorrow morning. I have Italian ice and Gatorade which will keep me busy until I take the purge stuff at 5:00. Then I'm gonna be real cranky!

I get them every three years (upper every two) so I'm used to it.

I just did the lawn and I'm going to read and write some music the rest of the afternoon.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I use an IPod Touch loaded with about 80 albums that I can hang on my belt and use ear buds while mowing the lawn etc, and then use it in the car via USB port replacing XM/Sirius on the radio. I also have an older version IPhone with the same albums loaded on it in another of our cars.
    Pray that your iPod doesn't die. Actually, I have an original iPod Touch that is "permanently" connected to my car. It and the newer ones are too large for my liking. I really liked the Shuffle/Nano that had a clip you could fasten to the waistband of your shorts (or pocket, or hem, etc.) and would just hide out of sight. I've now gone to Bluetooth earbuds, so that's kind of a requirement for me, now.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    oops, now it's raining cats and dogs. no flea market today
    Some rain passed through here too. It was pretty quick and not to strong though.

When I was test driving the Miata I saw an old neighbor and his daughter tending his yard. I stopped by and his wife came out and their younger daughter was there too. We had a great visit!

My mother died a month ago today. I miss her terribly. She was a real presence in my life, not just a discarded old lady. As sad as I am, I’m getting through this by remembering how great she was: strong, intelligent, sweet, and witty, full of love for all of us. She always indulged my record buying and guitar and bass playing. I’m also grateful for my brother and sister, each of who told me that I had a bed at their homes for a visit anytime. We saw Mom through to the end, and it’s made us closer.

On a lighter note, I’ve been recovering from the trip I made to California to stay with my son in Santa Monica. We had a blast. The guitar center in LA is phenomenal. But I spent my money at Amoeba Records and The Last Book Shop. Best of all was just being with my son. We spent a lot of time at the beach, especially for sunrises and sunsets. Ate too well.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison