Thread: Morrell?

Morrell?

Hi, I am new to this forum and I’m hoping that someone out there can help me out. A friend of mine, who is a bit of a technophobe, asked me if I could sell his amplifier for him. Some years ago he asked his guitar teacher for some advice about amplifiers and he told him about someone called John Morrell, here in the UK, in the Sheffield area to be more precise. The amp that he bought from him was in a Tweed case with a single 12” speaker and just had a label on the front top edge saying “MORRELL”.
    I wanted a little more information before I tried to sell it, and my friends knowledge was limited to the fact that it was too loud for the house, and neighbours. So I took the back off to see if I could find anything that might give me any more clue as to what it was. It was clear immediately that it was a Fender circuit board and eventually I found a label saying “HR DLX 230V UK”. I Googled Hot Rod Deluxe and managed to find a photo of a circuit board. I compared the photo with the board in the amp and couldn’t see anything obviously different.
    So does anyone know anything about John Morrell and if so, what would he have done to the original amp to warrant changing all the labels? I did check the valves and they are all what you would normally expect to find in there.
    Any advice would be gratefully accepted!

Re: Morrell?

I wonder if he ever worked for Music Ground (or was it Go Round), a shop in the UK notorious for foisting off pieced together Frankenstein amps and claiming they were unmolested all-original vintage.

If nothing is changed on the circuit board, it may just be a re-housed or re-badged Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that some guy probably tried to sell as a boutique amp. If that's the case, it's not worth much

got any pictures? There are far more knowledgeable guys on this board than I.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I wonder if he ever worked for Music Ground (or was it Go Round), a shop in the UK notorious for foisting off pieced together Frankenstein amps and claiming they were unmolested all-original vintage.

If nothing is changed on the circuit board, it may just be a re-housed or re-badged Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that some guy probably tried to sell as a boutique amp. If that's the case, it's not worth much

I know that at the time he did quite a lot of repair work for shops in the area and he had a website,
    www.stratman.me.uk
    and I know my friend paid £360 for it about 10 years ago.
    I will add some photos when I work out how to do it!

Apparently I can’t post attachments yet. I guess that this is because I am new to the forum, but if anyone could tell me how I can remedy this, I would be most grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Apparently I can’t post attachments yet. I guess that this is because I am new to the forum, but if anyone could tell me how I can remedy this, I would be most grateful.
    It depends on the hosting site you use for your photos. You can't simply upload pictures to the site. I wrote a post about embedding Flickr photos here (the embedded photos are gone because I removed them from my Flickr account, unfortunately).

In essence, you need to copy the URL of the picture you want to post and paste it into the box when you click on the "Insert image' button. It should be the entire URL, from the http start to the .jpg/.gif/.png extension.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post

I have put on some links to photos on Flickr. I'm not sure whether there is a way to just put the pictures into the actual post, but I'm sure someone will put me right, with any luck!

Don beat me to it. The trick is to put IMG tags before and after the URL. The opening IMG tag is in brackets ("[" and "]") and the closing tag has a forward slash ("/") before the IMG tag.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Don beat me to it. The trick is to put IMG tags before and after the URL. The opening IMG tag is in brackets ("[" and "]") and the closing tag has a forward slash ("/") before the IMG tag.
    Well thanks to both of you, much appreciated.

So just to make it clear for me, where would I cut and paste from here? The first part seems obvious enough but I'm not sure on the last bit.
    Tuneomatic Bridge stack Pan F by Mick Gosling, on Flickr

Sorry to be a pain.

I think I just answered my own question!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I think I just answered my own question!

When using Flickr, I generally remove the caption text.

When using Flickr, I generally remove the caption text.
    Thanks OldStrummer, I just tried that in the "Test Area" and I think I've got the hang of it now. What is it they say, "You can't teach an old dog............"