Thread: Saw an Old Friend Sunday!

Forum Member

Saw an Old Friend Sunday!

My wife and I haven't gigged in years, and don't jam as much as we would like to. She heard that an old friend I worked with back in the 70's was playing in about the only venue we have left. We really enjoyed ourselves, (even thought it was a "craft" beer place).
    Jerry still has all his chops, (and more), and has put together a great group. Another friend I've know for over 40 years is the bass player, works hard all the time!
    We have gone to listen to bands before that our past band mates kids have, and enjoy hearing them, even if their music isn't what we would buy. It was great to hear a band with music we would prefer!

Re: Saw an Old Friend Sunday!

You know, that's about as good a brief review as I've read in a long time. Rich, descriptive and complete (except for names). Makes me wish I'd been there.

Forum Member

I suspect the music experience was different for you in other locals. In high school, we formed a band playing "Surf" music, (about 1965). The only way we got to play, the guitar player's mom ran the bar, and would let us use the attached dance hall, (we made $3 each one night @ .50 per)! After high school the only paying jobs were country bands, (actually "western swing" was still big then, and I worked with a popular group.)
    Returning from the service, there were still no venues for a R&R band, and I worked with country groups, while jamming with like minded R&R guys. After rehearsing with Jerry, and playing a few parties, I talked a couple of clubs into giving us a shot, "Brother Joseph" packed the places for them. It was the first time we made any money playing R&R! Hell even disco bands could get jobs after we opened the doors! So it was nostalgia to see Jerry again, still playing!

wow, you were a pioneer.

I'm a little younger (but not by that much really). when we were in high school in '72-'76, the bands were paid somewhere in the 2 hundred dollar range for the garage band variety, up to 4 hundred and more for the bands with the full PA and lights. Wish I knew how much Aerosmith got paid in '72 when they played at my high school. First show I ever saw, the other bands on the bill might as well not even have been there. I didn't know music was played that loud.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"