Thread: I'm Enjoying Playing Again

I'm Enjoying Playing Again

There is only one point to this post: A happy observation that I'm once again enjoying playing guitar.

Now, that may seem like a strange sentiment, but I gave up guitar playing for a long time because I got stuck in a rut, and then stopped enjoying playing. I got re-interested a few years ago after I found myself single again, but quickly drove right into the same rut.

Fortunately, in a decision that still baffles me, I decided to take guitar lessons. I feel very fortunate that I found a terrific and accomplished teacher in the person of Steve Tjernagel (read his "
    Reinventing Myself: My Journey Back to Music" here). I have to say I'm in no way at the same level of this Pat Martino/Jimmy Bruno-trained guitarist, but what I've gotten from my weekly lessons with him is a newfound ability to stretch myself beyond the rut!

I believe music lessons serve two purposes: To teach us the fundamentals (rules, harmony, scales, chromatics, etc.) and to help us find our own voices.

I'm enjoying playing again!

Re: I'm Enjoying Playing Again

i've thought about taking lessons and in fact did so about 15 years ago. Sadly I got laid off so I had to quit after only a few lessons. My teacher was a player in a band whose style I liked. The store where he used to work closed down last year, internet sales only now.

Friend of mine is taking lessons and I have to say they've been helping him a lot. He still doesn't know how to do what I can do but that's all right, I don't know how I do it either Part of the reason why I want to take lessons is to figure out what it is that I do, so I can communicate it to other players in a fashion they can understand, assuming they have knowledge of theory.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

When I bought my Martin 000-15M I seriously considered taking lessons focusing more on finger picking. I think it would've helped my playing overall. I really should get back to that teacher!

Been playing for 60 years now. My "ruts" are so deep I'm stuck in them with no hope of permanent escape. And being a crusty old man, I'm likely untrainable now. But it would be nice to play something other than stuff from decades ago. Closest I've got for breaking out of the rut is to play classical. Somehow, Bach or Beethoven will challenge me enough to at least get my front wheels outta the rut and up onto a different part of the road. But if after a break, and one slip of a 12 bar blues come about, I slam right back into those deep ruts!
    There are no instructors in this area, and I couldn't afford one if there were. Oh well. Mozart anyone?
    I forgot what I was going to say...

I've gone a little AWOL on guitar lately, tried the other night and nothing was happening. I need to suck it up and play during the day
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"