Thread: PSA: Don't wait to clean out your crap

PSA: Don't wait to clean out your crap

you don't know how much time you have on the mortal coil, nor do you know that you'll still have the mental facilities to reminisce one last time down memory lane. I've been cleaning out the cellar the last few days, the first two were mostly benign junk, of very little value either monetary or sentimentally.

Today I'm digging deep into my mother's numerous storage containers. Of the three boxes I managed to wade through, at least 90% of it was out and out junk. I recycled what I could but unfortunately many of the boxes were of material unsuitable for reclamation. Gift boxes with gilding, jewelry store logos of foil or gilt. Just so much crap that is only going to the landfill.

I'm sure she probably wanted to save this stuff so she could look at it and relive the memories of days gone by again. How was she to know dementia would rob her of that? As a child of the Great Depression (and a frugal New England Yankee), she saved bags, packing materials, pads, backings and just a staggering amount of stuff of utterly indiscernible significance.

Do yourself (and any loved ones, or even family if you don't love them ) a favor. Clean out your junk now, yes, it is going to a landfill but it's going to go there anyway after you die. Don't inflict this upon another person
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: PSA: Don't wait to clean out your crap

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post

Do yourself (and any loved ones, or even family if you don't love them ) a favor. Clean out your junk now, yes, it is going to a landfill but it's going to go there anyway after you die. Don't inflict this upon another person
    Maybe this is not what you want to hear as a reply,so I sent you a PM
    Last edited by S. Cane; 03-31-2019 at 06:03 PM.

My friends neighbors where hoarders and when they went into an institution in their later years their kids and grand-kids had to fill four large dumpsters to clean out the house. I've been obsessing lately about not wanting to do that with my kids. It doesn't help that my wife hates to throw anything out, either.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Funny you post this! I’m currently in a purge stage, going through all my stuff and deciding what I ACTUALLY need. I’ve always been teetering on the edge of hoarding, I usually get stuff because it “just needs a little fixing”. So I collect and collect, stack stuff on top of other stuff, and then continue. It’s hard for me to NOT buy or dumpster dive things that interest me. I can’t even begin to remember ALL my “projects”... I get compulsive and amass various things for a certain hobby, fiddle around with them for awhile, then get bored and move on to something else. I have a really hard time letting go of my possessions. But they’re just that, possessions.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I did a little purging earlier this year, when we had a short spell of warm weather. I hope to do more as the weather gets warmer for real.

I told my daughter about a letter I've written for her in the event of my death or incapacity. I told her where to find it and what it contains (banking info, credit cards, bills, autopays, etc.). Here's the line I hope she takes to heart:

"Here’s some advice that you’ll thank me for later: When you’re going through my effects, go like a wrecking ball! Don’t take time to go through every little knick-knack and trinket but just dump everything. If it’s in a box, obviously I didn’t think it was important enough to put on display. Neither should you."

Yeah, get rid of the rubbish...don't let the crap define you.

Your kids will thank you.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

A few years ago my daughter was going to move in with us so I needed to clear out the basement. I rented a 20' dumpster and filled it. Little did I realize the wife was going through it when I was out and pulling crap out and putting it back in the basement. We still got rid of a bunch of stuff, but I could fill another dumpster now.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

4 years ago we moved from 2200 Sq. ft and a 2 car garage -- and 2 attic storage areas------- to 996 sq ft-- no garage-- no attic-- no basement----

I really do NOT miss the "stuff" we got rid of at all.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

This thread hits too close to home! Between my dozen or so amps and 50 or so pedals, other hobbies and projects and my son's hobbies, we have waaaayyy to much stuff!We filled a dumpster years ago and need to do it again!

Dan, I feel for you brother.

My Mom is in skilled care after her brain surgery. She's still intelligent, but she struggles to find words and is sometimes confused. Fortunately, she has always been so tidy that we can instantly tell what is what. And she's prepared over the years by putting labels on the backs of things, labels telling who will get what. She might never live at home again--that's still up in the air. I'm grateful to her that she has kept everything in such order. Our job at a fateful time will be made easier because of it.

Alas, I'm not so organized, and this thread and my Mom have got me thinking about everything I need to do, from the music parts and pieces I've amassed, to the clutter in my shed.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Dan, I feel for you brother.

My Mom is in skilled care after her brain surgery. She's still intelligent, but she struggles to find words and is sometimes confused. Fortunately, she has always been so tidy that we can instantly tell what is what. And she's prepared over the years by putting labels on the backs of things, labels telling who will get what. She might never live at home again--that's still up in the air. I'm grateful to her that she has kept everything in such order. Our job at a fateful time will be made easier because of it.

Alas, I'm not so organized, and this thread and my Mom have got me thinking about everything I need to do, from the music parts and pieces I've amassed, to the clutter in my shed.
    My Mom did that too - labeled everything. She started downsizing a couple years before she sold her house so when she sold it there was little to clear out.

Got a few folks that want stuff when I croak. Scavenger! I'm leaving EVERYTHING to my oldest granddaughter and her husband. They can keep what they want. Sell the rest. Anything leftover they can put in a pile and set fire to it! I'll be dead right? What will I care then? Ain't leaving nuthin to the scavengers!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

The kids will clean oot my house and then discover I have 2 storage sheds (and one is 30x15)!

The rascals!

I'm thinkin' aboot digging a basement under my house as no one here seems to know how to make one.

True story:

When my business moved us down here to Texas a friend had a house built. He said he wanted a basement and they tried to talk him out of it. They went round and round on the subject. Finally he asked them to make him a swimming pool 12 feet deep and 100 X 24. They said OK. He then told them to put the house on it...

Turns out they don't know how to use forms and pour good 'crete down here anyway. I could tell you stories about the houses on either side of me when they were built!

I intend to leave my kids nothing but debt-----its all they've given me --- so I am just returning it :)
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    I intend to leave my kids nothing but debt-----its all they've given me --- so I am just returning it :)
    THAT!

IS A PLAN!

I have very little contact with anyone. I could be lying in bed decaying for weeks before I'm even slightly missed, if at all. No one physically checks in on me. Only time a neighbor calls is when one wants something. Yup, could be a month before anyone would know I croaked. What a ghastly thought.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

oh everyone here will know Im gone -- because Ill stop PAYING FOR EVERY "F"ing THING-----Im sure Ill get chucked to the pigs so they can save $ on the funeral-- so be it --I like the pigs----
    T. Roosevelt