Thread: Identity/Credit Theft

Identity/Credit Theft

It happens to me about every two years.

I received a call this evening from the fraud center informing me that suspected fraudulent activity on my bank debit card had been detected. I confirmed that no, I had not made nor authorized a transaction in Kenosha, WI; that I was in Virginia and didn't even know anyone in Kenosha. Fortunately, there was no dollar amount, suggesting it was a test to see if the card was indeed, valid.

It isn't any more. A block has been applied to the card. Now I need to get a replacement from my bank and update the accounts I have that use it for auto-pay. It's a pain, but it seems a fairly common occurrence these days. I only have one credit card and my debit card, so I don't have to keep tracking more than that, but it's still an irksome violation.

I don't think I'm alone. Am I?

Re: Identity/Credit Theft

It's happened to me several times. Small transactions for $1 or less and then something big. I check my accounts daily. The two worse times were within a day of using PayPal. Coincidence...?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Happens all the time when I travel. I keep a debit card with only about $500 on it I use when traveling or doing online purchases so if I ever get whacked hard they won't get much. Replenish the card as required with the banking app to keep the balance up or add more for a purchase.

Usually it's the one or two dollar thing too. My bank also has protection so the one time I got hit for a few bucks they covered it.

Sad, but it's become the new normal.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Happens all the time when I travel. I keep a debit card with only about $500 on it I use when traveling or doing online purchases so if I ever get whacked hard they won't get much. Replenish the card as required with the banking app to keep the balance up or add more for a purchase.

Usually it's the one or two dollar thing too. My bank also has protection so the one time I got hit for a few bucks they covered it.

Sad, but it's become the new normal.
    That's a great idea!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Happens to me too, from time to time.

Same thing. I notice a strange transaction which I don't recognize, then I spend about 1 hour on the phone with the card's security center and after a few days I get a new card with a new number.

I guess this is so prevalent now that my bank has in-branch card printers. I spoke with my bank this morning and I can go pick up my new card at lunch today.

that reminds me, I need to look at all my accounts too. It's been a while and as a sad sign of how 'normal' it's becoming, I'm overdue.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

As a retired peace officer, I have only this to say.
    The world is filled with dishonest individuals who prey upon others. Before the electronic thefts it was using the carbons from credit card purchases, or recovered from the trash. Prior to that, stolen checks and forgery. As long as we humans have existed, a vast percentage have stolen from others. Many here have taken things without providing compensation. And don't claim that it didn't happen. That pack of gum you pocketed when shopping with your mom as a child. And other things that "found their way" into your pocket. Yet fortunately, most outgrew this as their "moral compass" steadied and principles of correct behavior became the norm for us. It is those who's "compass" is broken, that steal. I despise a thief. Simply hate their very existence. I took no pity upon their "stories" when I was serving the public. Today, I too have been victim to theft via the internet. Infuriating as it is, it happens. Would I like to have a few minutes with the thieves? Sure. But it will never happen. They are faceless now, and the banks "fixes" it until another puke gets your card number and the cycle continues. But we've been stealing from one another since we first appeared on the planet.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

There are some banks now that issue "virtual credit cards." They vary in implementation, but such is the way as new technology shakes out the bugs. In essence, the way they work is along these lines:

1. Bank issues a credit card.
    2. Bank issues an app/web site connected to the account.
    3. User creates one or more new, limited-use (one-time, one account, etc.) "card" linked to the real account.
    4. The virtual card has no value if it's compromised, as it's valid only for one-time use, or for a single account/merchant.

My bank is small, but technologically advanced. They don't offer virtual credit cards yet, but it may not be long until they do so.

I have tons of virtual money, it only exists in my mind
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    As a retired peace officer, I have only this to say.
    The world is filled with dishonest individuals who prey upon others. Before the electronic thefts it was using the carbons from credit card purchases, or recovered from the trash. Prior to that, stolen checks and forgery. As long as we humans have existed, a vast percentage have stolen from others. Many here have taken things without providing compensation. And don't claim that it didn't happen. That pack of gum you pocketed when shopping with your mom as a child. And other things that "found their way" into your pocket. Yet fortunately, most outgrew this as their "moral compass" steadied and principles of correct behavior became the norm for us. It is those who's "compass" is broken, that steal. I despise a thief. Simply hate their very existence. I took no pity upon their "stories" when I was serving the public. Today, I too have been victim to theft via the internet. Infuriating as it is, it happens. Would I like to have a few minutes with the thieves? Sure. But it will never happen. They are faceless now, and the banks "fixes" it until another puke gets your card number and the cycle continues. But we've been stealing from one another since we first appeared on the planet.
    Yes, very true. And it seems to get worse everyday.

Forum Member

I taught my kids the same way my dad taught me! When I was pretty young, he was buying some stuff, and I noticed the Hershey bars there at eye level, so I got one and started eating it. Outside he asked me where I got it, and I told him, he told me that was stealing, and gave me a nickel to go back inside and pay the man. He also made me apologize to the man. I don't think I knew what stealing was before that, but I sure was embarrassed!
    Both of my girls had the same experience!

I’ve had it happen. It’s definitely an inconvenience at best - financially devastating at worst.

I was at a briefing on the Dark Net the other day. I do R&D work supporting public safety so need to stay up on this stuff. What was once developed by the State Dept to ensure freedom of speech and privacy in “other countries” has become a relatively safe haven to savvier cyber criminals of all types - from thieves to murderers and worse. Law enforcement has a hard time staying ahead of this stuff...hence the R&D.

If you’ve been hit like Old Strummer, chances are your information has been traded for profit in this space at one point in time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I’ve had it happen. It’s definitely an inconvenience at best - financially devastating at worst.

I was at a briefing on the Dark Net the other day. I do R&D work supporting public safety so need to stay up on this stuff. What was once developed by the State Dept to ensure freedom of speech and privacy in “other countries” has become a relatively safe haven to savvier cyber criminals of all types - from thieves to murderers and worse. Law enforcement has a hard time staying ahead of this stuff...hence the R&D.

If you’ve been hit like Old Strummer, chances are your information has been traded for profit in this space at one point in time or another.
    A few years ago I was notified by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget regarding a data breach they'd had. Some 23 million identities were stolen -- pretty much everybody who'd ever applied for a U.S. government clearance (I have three). As a good friend of mine, who works in the intelligence community, once said to me, "If anybody wants to know anything about you, all they have to do is ask the Chinese!"

Some little rat bastards got my card info [5th time since I got one in '03] and tried to charge over $350 with an online purchase. Fortunately, my bank's fraud unit caught it. Being broke this time of the month, it was declined! Ha! Those fools that got my info had no idea that I'm a low paid pensioner with low funds. I'm a poor mark indeed for theft!
    Now the hassle of paying for everything in cash, and the one week wait for a new card. Think I'll just continue my business with cash and not use that card or shop online again. Going "Old School" from now on.
    I forgot what I was going to say...