Thread: Thread For St. Paddy's Day Sunday

Thread For St. Paddy's Day Sunday

What? Here it is 7:00 am (local) and no one has yet posted a St. Patrick's Day thread! Time to remedy that.

While not directly related, I'm going with a small group of church Elders to a church we are growing about 15 miles away. This will be my last official activity as an Elder. I get to be just a regular church goer after today.

I spent the past week in Minnesota. I'm so glad I took my KLŌS travel guitar, as I never left my hotel room the entire week I was there, due to the weather and me having no car. I revisited some favorite tunes from the past, a variety of songs from America ("Tin Man," "Riverside," "Three Roses"). As a mostly rhythm player, I like those catchy, non-4/4 beats).

Also, having recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I'm changing my diet and working to eliminate sugar from my diet. Not always easy when you're on the road with little choices over food.

Wear some green or get pinched!

Re: Thread For St. Paddy's Day Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    What? Here it is 7:00 am (local) and no one has yet posted a St. Patrick's Day thread! Time to remedy that.

While not directly related, I'm going with a small group of church Elders to a church we are growing about 15 miles away. This will be my last official activity as an Elder. I get to be just a regular church goer after today.

I spent the past week in Minnesota. I'm so glad I took my KLŌS travel guitar, as I never left my hotel room the entire week I was there, due to the weather and me having no car. I revisited some favorite tunes from the past, a variety of songs from America ("Tin Man," "Riverside," "Three Roses"). As a mostly rhythm player, I like those catchy, non-4/4 beats).

Also, having recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I'm changing my diet and working to eliminate sugar from my diet. Not always easy when you're on the road with little choices over food.

Wear some green or get pinched!
    Just watching the snow. There's a memorial for my dad today in a nearby town, he passed away on St. Patricks Day a few years ago. He was the greatest. I miss him dearly, but I'm pretty sure he would approve any party that includes spaghetti and meatballs. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Strummer, interesting, one of the signatures of the band America was a driving 4/4 beat. Tin Man is 4/4, as is Riverside, I don't remember the rhythm to Three Roses but I'm guessing it's in four as well, (maybe cut time?)

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Just watching the snow. There's a memorial for my dad today in a nearby town, he passed away on St. Patricks Day a few years ago. He was the greatest. I miss him dearly, but I'm pretty sure he would approve any party that includes spaghetti and meatballs. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Strummer, interesting, one of the signatures of the band America was a driving 4/4 beat. Tin Man is 4/4, as is Riverside, I don't remember the rhythm to Three Roses but I'm guessing it's in four as well, (maybe cut time?)

Chuck
    Sorry about your dad, OA, but I'm glad you're having a celebration! You're right about America. I probably should have worded it differently, as their songs are largely 4/4, but they aren't straight one-two-three-four, but often more like one-and-two-and-three, four-and... that sort of thing (hard for me to put into words).

a chilly top of the morning to ya.

as an allegedly full blooded irishman it almost pains me that I really have nothing green in my wardrobe. I've never done a color analysis but if I did I wouldn't be surprised if it showed that green just doesn't seem to suit me.

I was supposed to meet with friends today to have a corned beef and cabbage dinner. My mom went into the hospital again last night so those plans may have to be scrapped.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Sitting with an ice pack on my knee this morning. Yesterday they had a birthday party for my 13 year-old grandson at a bowling alley and I tried bowling for the fist time in 20 years. My first throw I set up a huge windup - let the ball fly and found myself halfway down the alley on my hands and knees. Banged up my right knee pretty good. It must have looked pretty funny - luckily they were focused on something the kids were doing and nobody saw - more importantly, nobody got a video! Later I'm going to hang a quilt on the wall that my wife finished a while ago. It's pretty cool looking.

Trying to work on a song that was inspired by my friend Charlie - originally I had hoped we'd write it together, but that ain't gonna happen now...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Type II eh? Yeah, that's a ton of fun... Blood sugar levels get low. You get shakey. Too low and ya pass out.. Too high and you feel like you're building internal pressure and you're so sluggish you can barely function. After 20 years or so, you might still check your blood now and then. And ya eat pretty much what ya want. Meds control you and your situation. Yeah, it sucks! Welcome to the Big D!

Having No TV is great! Yea! Every channel will be a bunch of fatheads talking politics, or a stupid parade. Boring... TV sucks big-time these days. Sure don't miss it.
    As soon as it warms up to the lower 60's I'm going shooting! Gotta feel a trigger and some recoil!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

It’s a beautiful day here on the shore of Lake Michigan with a bright blue sky and temps in the high thirties. Unfortunately, with speed that the snow is melting off we have some flooding in the area. I’m lucky that my home sits on higher ground so I’ve never even installed a sump pump even though the house is tiled for it.

The usual Sunday morning Bloody Marys and breakfast with our group of friends. Have a good one!

Another weekend locked into the frozen tundra. Starting to get tired of this after 4.5 months of snow/ice on the ground. Tired of being cooped up - even to the point that I’m bored of picking up the guitar and doing something with it. Spent the last two days straight doing that so need to find something else to do today. But nothing NEEDS doing and I don’t feel like leaving the house. Went out for a long walk yesterday but the sidewalks are line skating rinks. I need spring to come soon!

Quilt hung. It took her over a year to make it...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post

Very nice. When she's sober she can do wonderful work!

I had a friend (since passed) who was so accomplished at quilting (and basket-weaving) that she was a sought-after instructor. Some of the works she made were astounding.

WOW very nice quilt!

beers in the fridge-- corned beef and cabbage on the stove--

windows open -- 68 and overcast here in the swamps---

HAPPY ST Pats
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Sorry about your dad, OA, but I'm glad you're having a celebration! You're right about America. I probably should have worded it differently, as their songs are largely 4/4, but they aren't straight one-two-three-four, but often more like one-and-two-and-three, four-and... that sort of thing (hard for me to put into words).
    I believe the term you're looking for is syncopation.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I believe the term you're looking for is syncopation.
    I always called it playing three on four.

A friend of mine has some kind of a a computerized quilt-making machine. I don’t know how the thing works, but it takes up quite a bit of floor space.

Nick, that's gorgeous. Tell her I thumbs up for me.

Forum Member

Don't despair!
    I got the diagnosis for diabetes fall a year ago, but have a brother in law and a few friends who have dealing with it for years. I so far have been able to beat it back with diet, although I miss eating what used to! Sugar is only a part of the problem, tortillas, bread, potatoes, empanadas, sweet rolls, noodles, etc, limiting amounts is tough, but it can be done. I was able to go from 6.5 AIC to 5.4 in 6 months, and lose 30#, without using metforim, I know in the future, I will need help, but for now I'm getting by! I check levels only weekly now, and generally average about 100.

Yes! That's beautiful! Great work!

We had a beautiful weekend here! A little cool here today, but sunny. It's nice that it's still sunny at 6:51pm. Didn't do a lot today. Had my mom and stepfather over. It's always great to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Don't despair!
    I got the diagnosis for diabetes fall a year ago, but have a brother in law and a few friends who have dealing with it for years. I so far have been able to beat it back with diet, although I miss eating what used to! Sugar is only a part of the problem, tortillas, bread, potatoes, empanadas, sweet rolls, noodles, etc, limiting amounts is tough, but it can be done. I was able to go from 6.5 AIC to 5.4 in 6 months, and lose 30#, without using metforim, I know in the future, I will need help, but for now I'm getting by! I check levels only weekly now, and generally average about 100.
    Thanks, Bill. I've been doing a lot of reading and research (to the detriment of my guitar playing time!) since I was diagnosed. My A1c was 13! Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Tom Jelenik, PhD., et al. Almost universally, they agree that diabetes is a dietary disease, and the prevalence of sugars and carbohydrates is to blame. Fung notes, "In the U.S., 14.3 percent of adults have type 2 diabetes and 38 percent of the population has prediabetes, totaling 52.3 percent. This means that, for the first time in history, more people have the disease than not." (Fung, Jason, and Nina Teicholz. The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally. Scribe, 2018.).

My cupboard and fridge seem almost bare. I've tossed out everything that a) comes in a box, b) has more than 2g sugar per serving, c) "white" foods (breads, pasta, rice, potatoes) or d) juices of any sort. I'm doing my own shopping and cooking, and have added ingredients like cinnamon, flax seed and apple cider vinegar (the unfiltered type, Bragg's) to my diet.

My biggest concern is my weight. I'm not overweight. In fact, I'm actually a few pounds underweight. I don't want to lose more by "dieting." I'm also stepping up my activity level, and am going to resume running when the weather gets just a little warmer.

Don't worry about it. It only gets worse as time goes by. There's no cure. No "reversal" or remission. And people who say "I'm borderline" are just kidding themselves. You are, or you're not diabetic. There's no in between. It killed my grandfather. For more than two decades it's been killing me. And the "healthcare industry" just makes money from it and naturally doesn't care. Yup, its real cool....
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

I'm a little late to the party but the wife and i had a great time at a St. Patrick's day celebration saturday night! It was a show i really enjoyed. Wayne Toups and the cajun band, LA Roxx(a good young local band) and the Blues Travelers! WOW!!!