Thread: NGD Fender Newporter Player Acoustic

NGD Fender Newporter Player Acoustic

FedEx left this funky looking guit box on my porch today. I like the headstock, and the candy apple red finish sparkles. As far as sound, I should never have done a shootout between it and my Martin, but it is what it is. It sounds good for a knock-around acoustic. Oh, I could tear it down all day long for its lackings are vast. But I didn't buy it for recording. Justification, yes! Because the sound is idiosyncratic--I might write differently because of it. The build is solid; the neck feels great. It's easier on my fretting hand than most acoustics are. If it fell off a roof, I'd damn the luck, but it wouldn't hurt me like it would if the Martin got a ding.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: NGD Fender Newporter Player Acoustic

That walnut board looks really nice with the candy apple. The inline tuners and traditional Fender head-stock look SO cool on an acoustic. HNGD... Congrats!

SWEET!
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Thanks, but I did go wrong. The preamp doesn't work, and I'm sending it back and won't replace it with the same. I'm going to hold off on buying a knock around acoustic for a while.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

oh wel
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I just dropped it off at FedEx.

It did have a funky little sound that was idiosyncratic but a novelty after a day or two. I would not recommend it to anyone, beginner or no. Unless you want a toy for the looks.

I do want to say that Sweetwater has treated me very well about it, refund without a hassle. Sweetwater has served me well; my experiences with returns and customer service have all been positive.

I know that it's easy for most of you to go to a shop and try out an array of instruments. I am nowhere near a shop that carries a decent stock of lefties. So I have to order my guitars online. Over the years, I've gotten a few duds, but mostly, I've been very lucky. That didn't really work this time with the Newporter. Oh well, my search continues.

I don't want to sound like a shill, willie, but have you considered a KLŌS guitar? (https://klosguitars.com/). I absolutely love my acoustic travel guitar. It's my "beater," but since it's made of carbon fiber, it can take the best beating airline baggage handlers can dish out and still look and play like the day it was born.

KLŌS just introduced a line of colored guitars, and they make them in a variety of sizes and with or without Fishman electronics. There are some options and accessories available, and yes, they make a lefty!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I don't want to sound like a shill, willie, but have you considered a KLŌS guitar? (https://klosguitars.com/). I absolutely love my acoustic travel guitar. It's my "beater," but since it's made of carbon fiber, it can take the best beating airline baggage handlers can dish out and still look and play like the day it was born.

KLŌS just introduced a line of colored guitars, and they make them in a variety of sizes and with or without Fishman electronics. There are some options and accessories available, and yes, they make a lefty!
    The KLOS is an interesting guitar, but I'm more interested in a standard acoustic. I might consider a KLOS in a couple of years, next time I go to Europe.

Forum Member

I can feel you my friend. I bought the same guitar last year and I must say it is a major letdown....... Muddy, bad, bad ,bad.. I’ve tried everything to make it a better player, and it only comes close to being a viable user is when it is plugged in. And then it’s a lot of amp massaging.... To me it’s a no-win ..............