Thread: Ukulele? Have I lost my mind?

Ukulele? Have I lost my mind?

Must be cabin fever. Been cooped up for so long with either super cold [for my area] or continuous monsoons, or other crap like squadrons of red wasps forcing to seek refuge indoors. I think I'm beginning to unravel!
    A couple days ago I found a husband and wife team from Brazil on YouTube, called Overdriver Duo. Rediciouliously mega talented and young to boot! They play all sorts of instruments, and the ukulele is featured about half the time. So the "Wow! Bet I could do that." idea formed in my old skull. But here's the thing. I know nothing about them. Don't know how they're tuned. How to play a thing on one. Hell, I've never even held one! And right now I'm questioning my sanity about the whole idea. I'm beginning to think my whims are more whimsical than practical.

Any of y'all know anything about ukulele stuff? I did a search here but didn't have any luck. Maybe the muses are trying to tell me something.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Re: Ukulele? Have I lost my mind?

I have a cousin who plays and collects ukes. I sent him a link to Elderly, who seem to have a rich selection of instruments and accessories.

https://www.elderly.com/departments/ukulele

Forum Member

We got to have our grandson from Alaska visit for a couple of weeks last year, and he brought his electric uke! He actually played a classical tune for us, that he won a state contest with. (His dad is a music teacher, and he and his sister play several instruments!) He jammed with us, but declined when I offered him my guitar to play, we all had fun!
    I sent him home with a small Dean Markley, (USA), SS practice amp I had, that could be easily overdriven, (that's the style he likes!)

Ok. Judging from the current replies, and further lack thereof, it is safe to presume that no one here plays a ukulele, or is willing to admit it. Ok. Cool.

I've considered picking one up over the years. After all, I grew up with Tiny Tim and Don Ho. More recently I've been perplexed by the mandolin. I dunno.. not crazy at all to consider giving it a go.

My KLŌS acoustic travel guitar is almost the size of a ukulele. But it has six strings. KLŌS also makes carbon fiber ukes. In fact, just yesterday, they announced the release of colored ukes.

https://klosguitars.com/pages/ukulele

Ah geez! I just wrote a reply and lost it!

Anyway, I love my ukulele! I can't help but smile when I play it! I bought a decent Kala a few years ago. It's well built, sounds good and stays in tune.

The most common sizes use re-entrant tuning- gcea (it sounds like My Dog Has Fleas). They're kinda like the 4 high strings on a guitar with a capo on the 5th fret. Watch out for that E chord! It brought back memories of when I was a beginner and seeing a song with an F or B chord in it.

There are some good sites with chord charts. I can share them later if you'd like.

Thank you Don, give me a little bit more insight here.

Another one of my dilemmas about this instrument, is the fact that it comes in different sizes and different tones?, note levels?, whatever you call it. They got Sopranos, concert, tenors, and probably more. All of which just confuses the stuffings out of me! and no doubt each and every different sizes probably got a different level in the notes that they play, and bear with me I'm guessing here, so I got to study up a little bit. And I don't guess about things and then try to come off as if I know what I'm doing and quote something that's wrong. If I don't know something, I say so right up front. Then, if the interest holds, I will study and learn about the subject of which I am so ignorant of. Such as the ukulele. Yep, I've got some studying to do.

I think the ukulele that you most often saw playing solo back in the day was a soprano. That's what people picture when you say "ukulele". I bought the next size up- a concert. I feel like I'd need a strap if I went larger.

The soprano, concert and tenor use the same tuning. The baritone ukulele is tuned like the 4 high strings on a guitar (dgbe). The baritone uke has a deep rich voice, but is a different sounding instrument.

There are actually other sizes- smaller, larger and in between.

There's also the guitelele which has 6 strings and is tuned like a guitar with a capo in the 5th fret. They seem like a cool idea, but are missing some of the sparkle or joyful sound that you get from a ukulele.

Ah ha! This is getting interesting. Same tuning except for the baritone. Hummmm

Found many for sale on the big "E" and just might grab one. Like yourself, the concert size appears better suited. The soprano appears too little, but I'm not trained in this area so I can not say anything about it really. Found a cool looking zebra wood concert model for under $30. I spend more than that on my dog, his new girlfriend, and 5 cats every week and a half. Besides, it's something to do, right? I mean I can sit out front of the house and irritate the neighborhood. I like it even more now with that thought in mind.

I bought my daughter a tenor ukulele for her birthday a year or so ago. It's a lot of fun!

They grew up listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and his version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post

They grew up listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole and his version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow

You know how when you own a pickup truck, you're asked to help friends move? When you own a ukulele, the same friends will expect you to play this song for them.

Heh heh. Not me. I'm going to do like I did when I played a 5 string banjo back in the mid 70's for a bit. Gonna play the blues on it baby! A how how how how!

And judging by the size of that 'ole boy, I can quit worrying about a ukulele being too small to play too huh?

Never had a Ukulele in my hands, dear brother.

However, I do like small acoustic instruments. I can play a tune or two on a mandolin, for instance. Jimmy Page's the battle of evermore, for one. Celtic mandolin music really is something I like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I can play a tune or two on a mandolin, for instance. Jimmy Page's the battle of evermore, for one. Celtic mandolin music really is something I like a lot.
    I have my grandfather's Old Kraftsman mondolin. Like you, I only know a couple of songs. The mandolin is tuned in fifths like a violin (gdea). You can play upside down guitar chord shapes on it. My friend's father is left handed. I handed him gramps' righty mandolin and he played it lefty with the skinny strings on top and was immediately able to jam away!

I think I've shared this before- here's my grampa-

That's the same here little brother. Never even held one as well. Always saw them as too little for me. Guess I was being an instrument snob thinking little instruments were beneath me to play. But when I saw and heard Overdriver Duo play [I]Thunderstruck[I] I was amazed! Those two flat out rocked with itty bitty soprano ukuleles! I don't know how to do that link thing, but look up on YouTube, OVERDRIVER DUO and check em out. Mind blowing!

Played in a church band where a really big fellow played a mandolin. He looked a bit odd with that little instrument. I'm 6ft and 190 and he was half a head taller and had 50 pounds on me. Looked funny to some, me with a Strat or a Lee Paul next to what appeared a trained bear with a little guitar! But he had that tremolo picking down pat, and played well. I'm going to get a concert ukulele in a bit. To think all these years I've overlooked em. Took a talented team from my brother's country to open up my eyes [ and ears!] Cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Played in a church band where a really big fellow played a mandolin. He looked a bit odd with that little instrument. I'm 6ft and 190 and he was half a head taller and had 50 pounds on me. Looked funny to some, me with a Strat or a Lee Paul next to what appeared a trained bear with a little guitar! But he had that tremolo picking down pat, and played well. I'm going to get a concert ukulele in a bit. To think all these years I've overlooked em. Took a talented team from my brother's country to open up my eyes [ and ears!] Cool stuff!
    Being tuned differently from a Spanish guitar, I found other instruments like the Mandolin a bit difficult to figure out at first. I guess the Ukulele will feel the same. But it's just a matter of getting used to it.

I started by learning a song by watching a video lesson, which I try not to do with the guitar. Just the good old "monkey see, monkey do" method. After a while, I began to research about the tuning and technique, the chords began to make sense, then it all got easier.

I am no mandolin player, but it's fun to use.

Indeed. I too, find other types of tuning different, and thus a bit difficult. But as with alternate tuning on guitar, it does eventually sink in.

I was fortunate enough to have my mother's gifted and talented guidance when young. I was schooled in music theory, and thus able to discern the elements of the chord for different forms. So I can get a Maj, min, 7th etc from the instrument I'm playing with my mother's training from long ago. That helped me along the years more than anything. Though pitifully light in talent, I can "feel" the key of the melody I'm hearing in seconds, and can tell the mode its in almost instantly.
    THANKS MOM!

I'm now looking forward to the ukulele!

Now, I wonder if one can play Bach on a uke? John Lee Hooker? Nugent? Guess we'll see.

I really liked this thread.

You see, I’m not sure you can do Bach on a regular 4 string Ukulele (maybe bourrées and other pieces with transcribed rhythmic arpeggios), but your post above reminded me of a vinyl record me old man used to own back when I was a kid, called “Bach na Viola brasileira”.

Here in Brazil we have a very small 12 string guitar called “viola caipira” (Hillbilly guitar) or “viola brasileira”. You can read about it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_caipira

here’s a video which features the cover and one of the pieces.

interesting, if nothing else...

That was impressive!

Yeah, I like this thread as well though it has deviated from the primary point, yet in an extremely informative and educational way. It takes us from our conventional 6 string comfort zone, and pushes, no, LAUNCHES up into the nonconformance of other areas. Most interesting
    Oh, the zebra wood concert model ukulele has been ordered. Now we wait, and we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You know how when you own a pickup truck, you're asked to help friends move? When you own a ukulele, the same friends will expect you to play this song for them.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

NT, that stuff at the bottom.... Is that about Junebugs hittin' the bug-zapper?

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    I bought my daughter a tenor ukulele for her birthday a year or so ago. It's a lot of fun!

Got the same one for my daughter about a year ago as well. They were doing ukulele in school at the time and she kinda took to it. Then not.

A couple months back, my wife (a teacher) was assigned to be the ukelele go-to teacher in her school so she got sent to a two day ukulele workshop. I pulled out the Kala, tuned it up and it's been nothing but ukulele in the house the last month or so. Even I started to mess around with it and made some songs up - all in the key of G and using only G, C, D and Em chords!

Inspiring!
    Wait until I sit out front wailing on my ukulele and singing in my off-key discusting voice in Lakota! I am quite sure that this will nauseate every neighbor the aread Oh joy oh joy I'm ready for this ukulele now boys!

And as usual my smart ass phone is misquoting me and saying all the wrong things. Typical crap from the wonders of Technology yeehaw! Never trust electronic junk.

I have been annoying ukuleles for about 4 years.

Have 3 x Concert sized and a Baritone with a Tenor neck.

All tuned GCEA.

All with a "High G string".

You can use a "Low G string" which is a wound string.

The smaller the body the punchier the sound.

The larger the body the mellower the sound.

They are a joy to play and a lot of fun....lot of bang for your buck.

Don't buy a cheap uke...spend a little more and you can get a quality instrument.

At the moment I am lusting after a Blackbird Tenor .

There is a great Youtube site called Got A Ukulele...heaps of reviews and tips.

Take care brother, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Sounds like you got em on the ropes.

Earlier today I checked the FedEx site and found where my uke was left at the local post office for final delivery. I can presume that it will be delivered tomorrow. If not, then Monday. I'm patient.

Tried my damdest to post a pic. Mega flop! I truly quit this time.

Got the zebra wood concert model ukulele today. Quite something. Bound top and back. Bookmatched back. Sealed tuners. Full-size strap buttons. Real nice. Exceptional construction and finish. I'm impressed. It plays Bach surprisingly well, and managed to find some Lightening Hopkins in it too! Managed to get about a dozen chords down thus far. This thing is a blast! Glad I got it.

Right on, Old Ranger!

I think Ukes are happy by design.

Its a beautiful morning for porch pickin’.

Cheers to you Old Ranger.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Tried my damdest to post a pic. Mega flop! I truly quit this time.

Got the zebra wood concert model ukulele today. Quite something. Bound top and back. Bookmatched back. Sealed tuners. Full-size strap buttons. Real nice. Exceptional construction and finish. I'm impressed. It plays Bach surprisingly well, and managed to find some Lightening Hopkins in it too! Managed to get about a dozen chords down thus far. This thing is a blast! Glad I got it.
    That's awesome! It's great to have a decent instrument. Most of us started out on $20 ukes. My Kala is solid mahogany with tortoise bindings and sealed tuners. It's nice to not have to reflux the top from time to time!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    I think Ukes are happy by design.
    That's how I feel about it. You guys have me wanting to play but I'm 3000 miles from home. Maybe I'll buy one to play for the week and leave it behind for my cousin's daughter.

I've got a steel string uke, and I need some info--sorry for the derail.

I don't know what gauge strings to put on, and I don't know what tuning the uke uses.

It's 24 inches long from headstock to body base. The body is 11" long and 10" wide (in the widest part of the body at he base.)

What sort of uke is this? It seems a little big for a tenor.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison