Thread: The Sunday Thread for March 10, 2019

The Sunday Thread for March 10, 2019

I made sure to set the clocks ahead last night as I'm off to the airport for an early flight to Minnesota. I'd rather be staying in bed!

I gave a eulogy yesterday at a friend's celebration of life. It was a day of reminiscing, food, chat and meeting new people and getting acquainted with folks I hadn't seen in years. Funny, how the passing of someone can do that.

My KLŌS guitar is packed and I'll be checking my bag in about an hour. I don't like to predict the future, but with four feet of snow on the ground and another 12 inches forecast, I'll probably be staying in my hotel room a lot. That's why I bought my KLŌS!

Have a great Sunday!

Re: The Sunday Thread for March 10, 2019

My spring break is over, and today I have to do all of those things that will prepare me for the week. I've spent the last week in Nashville, caring for my mother. My brother and sister live near her, and so they generally care for her during the week, and I take over on the weekends. It's a hard time for my family, but we're all working together, and I enjoy the time I spend with Mom and my sibs and families.

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about the need to keep buying gear. This week I've been a hypocrite: I ordered a cheap Fender acoustic, bought a bigger pedal board, ordered a wireless unit for my guitar pedal board, and a gig bag for my acoustics. I am going to go through my gear and get rid of things I don't need. More about that later.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ahhh, Texas weather. Last week, lows in the lower 20's. Breaking ice on animal's water sources with a hatchet. Yesterday, 80°F and running the A/C. Yup, Texas weather, ya never know.

New bridge pickup is in the Tele and is just great. No more icepicks jabbed into my ears. Blends great with the neck with that Tele out of phase tone. Luscious... Been playing for two days and can't stop. When was the last time ya did that? Oh, I still take time to shoot on my range. Always have a few rounds to send downrange. And the little Mustang I v2 amp is delightful, and has provided yeoman service for my needs.

Well, that's about it from the East Texas Piney Woods. Y'all have fun!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Last night we started off with rain and that switched to snow overnight so at 6:00 I was out there with the snow blower and the scraper blade trying to get that crap off of the driveway and sidewalks. We're supposed to be up to 50°F on Wednesday so I'm tempted to just leave it lay, but our city ordinance says if anyone complains about an unshoveled walk the city will take care of it and bill $300 for the first offense (goes to $600 for the second).

Breakfast and Bloody Marys with our friends shortly and then a nice quiet day watching movies. Corvette and motorcycle weather is in the not too distant future...yippee!

Snow is starting to change to sleet and then it will finish as rain. Yesterday was a fun day. I taught a class for a friend of mine at Sacred Heart University - the class is for upcoming school superintendents and they need this class for their certification. I had a blast and we all felt good about the session. Of course Ann was drunk when I got home so I sequestered myself in the family room and binge-watched :Tin Star" season 2 on Amazon. It started out slow but by around episode 6 it was firing on all cylinders. Had an interesting phone call. A senior education leader in Connecticut called me and said they wanted me to chair the state board of education; which would be a huge honor and allow me to really do something that could make a difference. Unfortunately, there are huge conflicts of interest with my job that keep me from doing it. Oh well, not the right time.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It's snowing here. Less than an inch. It's supposed to turn to rain. Maybe I'll start the filter cap job on the Boogie.

it was snowing pretty good but we have a band of thinner clouds before the next wave which looks like it's going to be more mixed. My car is in the driveway, a garage door malfunction is awaiting an appraiser to document damage before I can allow the door guy to make it functional. This happened on wednesday the same day we found out my mom had a mild heart attack and was in the hospital. She's being discharged today so of course it's snowing.

Ah but it will be light until after 7 o'clock tonight, praises and hallelujahs be for DST. I've been waiting for this since November how I hate standard daylight time.

Been playing more lately, I feel my calluses returning to their familiar state. Have a hankering to learn GoT theme song.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Wow, Gibsonj. That's some pretty cool stuff about education. If your name is out there like that, you'll probably get another chance.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Another snowy, rainy, icy, crappy day in the Deep North. Another weekend spent hunkered down! Just came in from snowblowing the driveway before it really starts raining and makes a mess of things!

Been working on and off this weekend cleaning up some tracks in Logic and reorganizing my SoundCloud account.

I bought a little Novation LaunchKey Mini controller to assist on some (software) instrumentation on some tunes. For example, I laid down the cello/mellotron parts on the intro to I am The Walrus to go with the live recording from rehearsal last week. Sounds not too bad. Want to show the boys this week that I could trigger these cello/mellotron samples from this little device (and my iPad) in a live setting.

I really wanted to do the Spooky Tooth version of Walrus, but I got outvoted in favour of the Oasis version (e.g., still guitar driven, but less dirgey).

uhm
    was 79 here sunny with a breeze--- I spent much of the weekend doing outside stuff--- mowing-- recoating the roof on the RV-- patching some stuff around the house--- any excuse to be outdoors--- sorry---
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt