Thread: Recorded the Jazz Bass

Recorded the Jazz Bass

My band had a session to make a demo this last weekend. I was torn between taking the P or the J. I carried them both, but when it got time to record, I went with the Jazz. Not a bit of hum, just great tones. I got it to growl on our cover of Some Kind of Wonderful, but it was full and bassy on Refugee, Hurts So Good, and Bang a Gong. The band was really complimentary of my sound. We need to cover Zeppelin. The J Bass is screaming to be let loose on some John Paul Jones.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Recorded the Jazz Bass

Good stuff man! Last cover band I was in I’d do my best to use my Ric for the Petty songs. I know a lot of that is J, but that Ric growl is magical on American Girl! Know I’ve said it before but that band was pretty close to a Heartbreakers tribute band. Not that that’s what we were trying to do, it’s just the way we sounded.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I just put some roundwounds on the Ric. The Rotosound flats I had on it just sounded dead. Besides, I like the particular growl Rics get with roundwounds.

It would have sounded great on Refugee.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My Rick kit is the only bass I play regularly with rounds--- everything else is flats or tapes
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    My Rick kit is the only bass I play regularly with rounds--everything else is flats or tapes
    I've got to get my Hofner set up. If possible, I'm going to get some tapes for it. I tried some a few years ago, but they didn't last long. I think I got some crap strings. I want to try them again because I think they'd be perfect for the Hofner.

I’ve used Rotosound rounds on all of my basses except the the Lakland 55-94. The Lakland stainless rounds have been used on that bass because of their taper-wound B string.

I recently tried a set of Rotosound flats on my Stingray 5 to see if I could get close to that Rotosound tone with a little less aggression to the neck. I had a fret dress done on that bass so I thought it would be a good time to experiment with it. So far, I’m not really satisfied with the sound I’m getting.

In the past I’ve used flats, when I was playing in the college Jazz band, and sometimes with the blues bands. I’ve always preferred rounds, Rotos being my favorite, Dunlops are a close second. Ric and J basses NAIL the Heartbreakers’ sound. I’ve been thinking about putting halfs or flats on my Gretsch. With the rounds I’ll pull the tone knob WAY back almost off when I need that dark tone, do a little palm muting too to approximate flats. Rounds just growl more, which is the sound I like. I even use a pick quite a bit... Shhh! Don’t tell anyone! I don’t want anyone thinking I’m not a “real” bass player

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've got to get my Hofner set up. If possible, I'm going to get some tapes for it. I tried some a few years ago, but they didn't last long. I think I got some crap strings. I want to try them again because I think they'd be perfect for the Hofner.
    I prefer the tapes from Rotosound :)

I actually have them on a DEAN DEmonator at present---- ACTIVE heavy metal bass "supposedly" -- but WOW does it SOUND AWESOME with tapes.

the Rick NEEDS the rounds-- its so dark and THUD ish --- the rounds brighten it-- though I havent tried "half rounds" or "pressure wound" on it--- might be a nice balance.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Just give in and put some Roto rounds on the Ric. Trust me, it’s “The Sound”. I gave up a long time ago trying to make my Ric versatile. Might sound weird, but it’s a one trick pony. But, man oh man is it an awesome trick!

I just looked at the packet--hell, I put Rotosound rounds on the Ric. Took it to practice last week, and they sounded great.