Thread: Your Acoustic(s)

Your Acoustic(s)

I’ve had $200 acoustic guitars that sounded great. Then twenty years ago, I got my Martin HD28-VL, and it’s a dream come true. I’m excited to be playing more acoustic now. I just took it in for a set up, fret polishing and a slight repair, and I’ll get it back on Thursday. Only $70 total. Can’t wait to get it back to play
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Your Acoustic(s)

I've always had different acoustics off and on for years, but never held on to any of them. Sometimes my wife, and her sisters and I get together with no amps, it's a lot of fun!
    When my oldest granddaughter was a teenager, I bought her a Schecter A/E round back for Christmas one year. She started OK, and learned a few chords, but never got into it. A few years later she told me she wasn't interested, and was talking about letting it go to one of her friends for $80. I told her I would give her $200. (but I doled the money out over a few months).
    I still have it, of course. it stays in tune well, had Russell set it up again about a year ago, I'll probably keep it forever, (well, she may inherit it back).

I never had a really nice acoustic until a few years ago. I had the Harmony 3/4 size that my parents bought for me around '71 and the Yamaha dread that they bought my sister around '78. The Yamaha sounded good enough and had a nice, big slightly V shaped neck that made me like that type of neck. Once I could afford an electric guitar and amp in '81 I never looked back. I only played acoustic when I "had to".

I had an urge for a decent acoustic guitar and bought my Martin 000-15M a few years ago. I really like that guitar. Nice focused tone. All you hear are the notes- not metallic string sound. Still, I don't play it much unless I'm jamming with friends. Acoustic still isn't really my thing but it's nice to have a decent guitar to jam on. I've had some great times with that guitar.

I am absolutely enthralled with my KLŌS acoustic. It's a small, travel guitar made of carbon fiber, and so when it's not in my suitcase, it's either on my sofa in the living room or on the bed in a hotel room, where it's just a matter of reaching over and picking it up. My inherently lazy self finds it so much more convenient to reach over and start playing rather than stand up, get an electric, plug it in, turn on the amp and play. Okay, well, I still that too, but this little KLŌS has a really super sound, and is a delight to play!

I’m more an acoustic guy. My first guitar was also a 1971 Harmony ¾ sized guitar. It only lasted a couple years until the neck broke off, but it was enough to get me hooked. By then I’d worked all summer making hot dogs and went back to college with a brand new Gibson J-40 guitar – the cheapest jumbo Gibson made. With upgraded tuners and a strap button installed, it cost me a whopping $269. I wrote many songs with that guitar. I still have the receipt and the guitar. Then in the 90’s I was playing in our church folk group when I had trouble with the bridge so while it was off to Nashville for some Gibson TLC (covered in warranty!) I bought an Ovation Korean knock-off to keep going. It was a cheap POS and at this point makes a better canoe paddle but it got me through in a jam.

When I turned 50 I wanted to get a “Nice” acoustic so with my wife’s blessing I went looking. I had it narrowed down to a Gibson J-200 or a Hummingbird. I couldn’t decide between the two so I told my wife to surprise me – she did, she ended up getting both. The Hummingbird is a sweet guitar, but if the house was burning down, the J-200 is the one I’d grab first.

Fast forward to five years ago and we toured the Guild factory in New Hartford. I was so impressed that I had to get a Guild 12 String. Later, at another “Let’s Meet Guild” event (they did an annual tour/event for the “Let’s Talk Guild” forum) they offered some factory seconds at sick prices. I managed to get the one D-55 that was available. It is an exceptional guitar and I got if cheap! Later I picked up a couple more Guilds when Fender sold Guild to Cordoba and they blew out their inventory cheap.

I just went through all my acoustics last night because I realized when I wasn’t playing them into amps the batteries were just sitting there corroding, so I pulled out all the batteries. Lots of crap oozed out, but none got into the guitars and the electronics looks good. Crisis averted!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Guilds

"G" Wall - Gibsons and Guilds

Gibson Parlor (HP 655SB)

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

GJ those are beautiful.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm a lucky man..... but, I don't drink or gamble - so this is my way of indulging (or rewarding) myself.

I’m not much of an acoustic player. All my work as a guitar player is done on electrics.

I own this small Washburn parlor acoustic, though, for writing songs and relaxing with a mug of coffee or a shot of Whiskey from time to time.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I have 4 acoustics. 3 guitars 1 bass. I think getting an acoustic set up they way you want is more important than an electric. Couple with it it being further away from a DIY (vs electric), a lot of us play I think play an acoustic that’s not set up optimally. I know my 2 most recent acquirements still need more work.
    Mark

I have a couple of cheaper acoustic guitars and a Martin bass. I’d like to get a really nice acoustic one of these days, but I haven’t been playing much at all. My main acoustic guitar my Mom bought me for my 13th birthday. It’s an Arbor, which is Washburn’s cheapo line like Squier is. Beyond the sentimental value it’s a great guitar! I had a bone saddle and nut installed along with a film under saddle pickup. Neil Young’s guitar tech Larry Cragg did it and it’s the same one he uses. I like to use coated strings as I leave it laying around my house and normal strings “spoil” before I play them out. I’ve been trying to sell my Martin bass for YEARS!! Nobody seems to be interested, IDK why. My Gretsch parlor blew up a second time, the bridge keeps ripping off the soundboard... And I have a Maestro 3/4 which I threw a Strat pup in, it’s a blast! Cool fun grungy tones!

But one day I’ll get a nice acoustic, I’ve always wanted a Hummingbird or J200. I’d also love to have a 12 string
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

One of my sister in laws has a Hummingbird that an old boyfriend, (who used to sell herb), gave her in the early 70's. It has a small crack on the rear, almost centered, nearly the length of the guitar. I have told her to send it to Gibson for repair, (it still sounds great), but she doesn't know the history of the guitar, and is afraid it was hot when he got it. I told her after after all this time, I don't think it would be an issue, but.........

I’ve always had an acoustic or two. I still have the Ibanez acoustic I bought for $100 back in the mid 80s. Nice 00 style guitar. At one point I had a Taylor - such a sweet guitar - that I sold in a fit of madness along with most of my collection at the time. I’ve had a budget Yamaha (G400) that I’ve had on-hand for a long time as well. It’s the cottage/campfire guitar these days. Last summer I bought an Epiphone EJ200. Pretty nice guitar for the price and a classic looking one at that.

I bought a Yamaha LS6 online, a rather brave move since I didn't play it before buying it. It plays incredibly nice right out of the box and holy cow is this thing loud. Uh, is it possible for an acoustic to be too loud?

I bought it as a 60th birthday present to myself last year. I haven't been playing it much lately with all the drama around my mom's transition to nursing home care.

It has a built in transducer that presents a fairly passable direct recording signal so it isn't necessary to mike it every time I want to lay down tracks. However this thing is so loud that I may not be able to do late night recordings if I end up in an apartment with thin walls.

I've always been primarily an electric guitarist, my first guitar was electric (and also a Yamaha interestingly enough). All my friends I play with play only acoustic and this makes jamming easier
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I like to take my guitar with me when I knock around somewhere. I don’t want to take the Martin out for that. So I just bought a Fender Newporter acoustic, candy apple red. It only cost a few hundred; if I had an accident with it, I would be sad but not devastated.