Thread: I'm pi$$ed!

I'm pi$$ed!

I've been working with Charlie Karp for a couple years now recording music and hadn't heard from him in a while. Tried calling a number of times and then reached out to both his engineer and the keyboard player we've used in our tunes (He plays in a couple bands with him). Turns out nobody had heard from him because he was in the hospital. He's a great guy and I hope he'll be OK, but he's still in the hospital after a week and nobody's talking about what's wrong. Anyways, I reached out to the engineer to ask about all the files we've generated in ProTools - how can I get a copy of everything so I can keep the work going if he ends up too sick to continue (hope not - I have learned a lot from him).

So here's what got me pissed off... When we took the files to another studio with better equipment somehow in the transfer to a portable HDD, a few of the tracks disappeared. Like the main vocals to at least one song, bass and several backup vocals and harmonies. Literally months of work gone. He is still trying to reconstruct what he can, but now he tells me there was no backup drive... this $hit is gone!We were one session away from completing three tunes (the best yet) and now I don't know what I'm going to do (both in terms of Charlie's singing harmonies, playing bass and generally helping push me to my limits) I've invested a good chunk of money to get where we are and I'd hate to see it go to waste... Oh well - rant over... maybe things will turn out OK, I'm just not happy right now.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Re: I'm pi$$ed!

Does this other studio have a different version of Pro Tools?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Does this other studio have a different version of Pro Tools?
    Much newer version (like version 7 compared to 12)... Charlie is an amazing musician and arranger, but not tech savvy.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Try importing them into Logic. Macs have a way of making your audio problems go away.

Reaper can be a useful tool too.

I avoid Pro Tools like the plague.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I seem to recall somewhere reading to have redundancy in back ups. Not just one, not just two but no less than three for exactly this reason.

And I'm not one to talk. I have all my stuff on one HD. Not that it would be a tragedy nearly as big as yours if they disappeared. Some might even say a blessing.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I thought I was the only person that just couldn't hang with Pro-Tools! I took a piece of advice from a guy in Wimberly Tx.and bought a Western Digital hot swappable hardrive stack. At the end of each session you can remove one or all four HDs and supposedly store one off-site, that never really happens but point is there is 4 HDs that get written to. I could set it up different but that was how it came so I don't mess with it much. It has came in handy when I needed to send out something.

On my home computer I use a solid state drive for operating system and programs and save all work files to a separate internal hard drive. I back up both drives to three separate drives plus online to a MyCloud drive. I also just acquired a Drobo 5 disk array for even more redundancy. I just learned this morning that Charlie has liver cancer and might not be around much longer... that makes me sad - I learned a lot from him. I talked to the engineer and he says we can use the other studio when the owner is out of town and he'll help re-record all the lost material.

Sad news, Charlie went into Hospice care on Friday and passed away over the weekend. At least he didn't have to suffer long...

sorry to hear that.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Sorry for your loss, well losses I guess?
    what a weird and odd situation.
    --not sure what else to say--
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

My sincerest condolences gibsonjunkie.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Wow, that seems kind of sudden, even though you said he'd been in the hospital "a while." My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Wow, that seems kind of sudden, even though you said he'd been in the hospital "a while." My condolences.
    very sudden! He had no clue he was sick. got dehydrated and when he went into the hospital they found out he had cancer and and less than two weeks later he was gone.

Found this nice write up.

R.I.P. Charlie.

https://06880danwoog.com/2019/03/11/...-charlie-karp/
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

My condolences to you.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    Found this nice write up.

R.I.P. Charlie.

https://06880danwoog.com/2019/03/11/...-charlie-karp/
    It amazes me how many lives he touched.