Thread: Getting Back to the Acoustic

Getting Back to the Acoustic

I guess I should have put this in the Whammy Bar. Wasn't sure where to post this.

I have a Martin HD28-vintage reissue, left handed. Antique tint finish, butter bean tuners, v neck. I've had it since 1996, and I used to play it more than any other of my instruments. I took it with me to parties, gigs, and just any excuse to play. Because of playing in bands and then switching mainly to bass, I've not spent a lot of time with it in the last 6 months or so. I do use it nearly every time I record.

But I've got some inspiration now, and I'm going to focus more on playing the Martin. There's nothing like a sweet sounding acoustic that can jangle too.

In the future, I'm going to buy one of the offshore Martins. I wouldn't mind banging it around. They're pretty sweet sounding guitars and have wonderful necks.

Update: I've ordered a Fender Newporter Player acoustic, funky Strat headstock on a mahogany neck, Fishman electrogizmotechnology. I ain't worried about banging it around. I'll post a review and some picks in "Other Fender Guitars" when I get it and have had a little time to put it through some paces.
    Last edited by ch willie; 03-11-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Getting Back to the Acoustic

Good deal -

I play my acoustics in waves. I have a lot of creativity that comes with it - but I hit a brick wall. I have gotten to a point where I sometimes don't pick up an instrument for a week or two and then have a gig. Playing bass mostly, I pick it up, get nervous and have apprehensions and anxiety and then on downbeat - its like we never missed a beat.

during these times on acoustic at home, I almost get to the point that I think I could gig on acoustic 6 string. but then I realize, its in a very limited capacity. the cool thing is that my band mates would let me, and have. one of the guitar players is glad to play bass for a few just so that I can bask in the sun for a few.

play the music - do the damn thing!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

So, it's a funny thing. Since most of my guitars are electrics, I tend to use them more than acoustics, even though most of my playing days were using acoustic guitars.

But recently, with the acquisition of my KLŌS acoustic travel guitar, I find myself using it a lot! It helps that it's small, lightweight and impervious to harm (it's made of carbon fiber) and so I keep it on my living room sofa. It's plays and sounds great! And since I can just pick it up and start playing makes it a win-win for me!

Cool beans amigo! I mostly play acoustic at my house, and need to get another parlor sized as my Gretsch decided to blow up. Again, for the SECOND time!!?! That said, my main acoustic is an old Arbor that looks like a regular full size Martin. It’s not as good as a Martin, but it plays excellent and really does sound good!! Next full size I get is gonna be a Gibson Hummingbird or J-200. Those are some of my favorite looking acoustics. I haven’t played either, so I guess I should try them out at some point
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I figure if I ever buy a second upmarket acoustic, it'll be a Gibson. I like those too, Chucko.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I luv me some Gibson acoustics, but Guild is making some really fine guitars, too!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I luv me some Gibson acoustics, but Guild is making some really fine guitars, too!
    For me, it's a matter of what I can get in a lefty. It's a nightmare for a lefty to flip, get a new nut, and restring, because the bridge is tilted in the opposite way, and getting the intonation correct is impossible, at least for me.

I can only imagine man! I’m guessing you’d have to get the bridge pulled and a new one, or filled an rerouted.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

That's what I love about my B&G's. They beg an acoustic style but scream with the best of the LP's. They honestly make me play different. And their lefties cost the same as the righties.

IMG_4122 by renderit@swbell.net, on Flickr