Thread: Joe B on Getting Great Sound Relatively Inexpensively

Joe B on Getting Great Sound Relatively Inexpensively

Found this on Music Radar:

But you start looking at those boutique amps and you go, ‘Has anybody tried an American Standard Series Strat and a Hot Rod DeVille?’ Has anybody just tried that yet?’ Man, you could rule the world with those.

“What surprises me now, more than anything, is the affordability of a great sound. If you go to get a Les Paul Studio, maybe they come out of the factory not quite set up properly, whatever… But 15 minutes on a bench, new set of strings, maybe some linseed oil - wipe it down, play it in a little bit, you know, maybe the pickups are too high, just get it to where it’s humming. That’s a great guitar for under $1,000, new or used. Plug it into a Hot Rod DeVille and you could rule the world with that.”
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Joe B on Getting Great Sound Relatively Inexpensively

THere are a LOT of JB haters out there --
    PERSONALLY -- Id like to hang out with the guy -- he seems (in some interviews) like he is distant --or even SNOBBISH--- but I think he is being "reserved" and trying NOT to geek out on some story about the finding of a 59 Strat in a barn -- or off some county rd --
    HE does TRULY seem to have a deep love for guitars-- and amps and just TONE-

Here he is visitng my FAVORITE local Vintage music depo (they have all sorts too-- el CHEAPO China stuff to mega high end stuff--
    Jimmys Vintage Music in Auburndale Fl.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Great Store -- great owner--
    Got my 1970 all original Les Paul recording guitar there--

and my beloved Fender Strat-- if I am in need of another Vintage geetar-- thats where I go
    http://jimmysvintagemusic.com/
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Found this on Music Radar:

But you start looking at those boutique amps and you go, ‘Has anybody tried an American Standard Series Strat and a Hot Rod DeVille?’ Has anybody just tried that yet?’ Man, you could rule the world with those.

“What surprises me now, more than anything, is the affordability of a great sound. If you go to get a Les Paul Studio, maybe they come out of the factory not quite set up properly, whatever… But 15 minutes on a bench, new set of strings, maybe some linseed oil - wipe it down, play it in a little bit, you know, maybe the pickups are too high, just get it to where it’s humming. That’s a great guitar for under $1,000, new or used. Plug it into a Hot Rod DeVille and you could rule the world with that.”

People seem to have lost the notion of what exactly a musical instrument is and what it's made for.

The electric guitar exerts some kind of charm, which makes things kinda worse.

Everytime someone brings this subject up, I remember having read how Jimmy Page, Slash, Bolan, Clapton, Gilmour, Krieger, and Lennon/Harrison (through Mal Evans) got their most iconic guitars. Those were standard factory made instruments, some of them previously owned and used...

I now own three guitars. All of them are "Standard" instruments, two made in USA, one in Brazil. The only one with mods is the Brazilian one, and I did it because its electrics went bad.

Truth is, I don't really need anything more expensive or fancy as a musician.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    People seem to have lost the notion of what exactly a musical instrument is and what it's made for.

The electric guitar exerts some kind of charm, which makes things kinda worse.

Everytime someone brings this subject up, I remember having read how Jimmy Page, Slash, Bolan, Clapton, Gilmour, Krieger, and Lennon/Harrison (through Mal Evans) got their most iconic guitars. Those were standard factory made instruments, some of them previously owned and used...

I now own three guitars. All of them are "Standard" instruments, two made in USA, one in Brazil. The only one with mods is the Brazilian one, and I did it because its electrics went bad.

Truth is, I don't really need anything more expensive or fancy as a musician.
    The only guitar that I have that cost over $1500 is my Martin HD28-VL (vintage left-handed). It's probably worth $3300 or more now. It's such a great guitar that I'm afraid to take it out of my house. However, I'm going to be playing some solo gigs soon, and it'll get it's time in the spotlight. I used to take it with me everywhere I went.

My point is that if I were able to pay $4000 on a guitar, I would always be paranoid about it. I'm planning on getting a 335 in the next few years, and at about $3000, I'll be wary of playing it out, but I will.

So I love my AmStds. I would hate to lose any of them or to damage them, but I never think twice about taking them out to play. My AmStd Tele and Strat are perfect for me, but I'm pretty sure that if I lost them, I could get a replacement for either one that would basically sound the same as the ones I lost.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Very good Sergio! As guitar players we wax nostalgic about the vintage gear we lust over. Very few people realize that what we’re pining for was simply new or slightly used gear at the time. Heck, some of it was “the latest and greatest” when it was being played. I will say though that while I do have newer gear, I prefer vintage inspired instruments. I’m in no way a purist and believe you can get some killer sounds from the new stuff. I only own a couple true vintage pieces, 64 Ampeg Jet, Ampeg FlipTop, 73 Ric bass, Ovation Magnum bass, and a couple pedals. But then all my other gear is newer stuff, some are reissues or modified to have some vintage flavor. All that said, I think some people get too wrapped up in vintage and booteek gear. While nice, I don’t think it’s necessary for a good tone.

I mixed monitors for JB a LONG time ago, but I’ll keep that story to myself. Not dissing on the guy, he was nice enough. But I will say that it was the time period when he was playing Marshall Silver Jubilees. Let’s just say that I was not impressed...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Very good Sergio! As guitar players we wax nostalgic about the vintage gear we lust over. Very few people realize that what we’re pining for was simply new or slightly used gear at the time. Heck, some of it was “the latest and greatest” when it was being played. I will say though that while I do have newer gear, I prefer vintage inspired instruments. I’m in no way a purist and believe you can get some killer sounds from the new stuff. I only own a couple true vintage pieces, 64 Ampeg Jet, Ampeg FlipTop, 73 Ric bass, Ovation Magnum bass, and a couple pedals. But then all my other gear is newer stuff, some are reissues or modified to have some vintage flavor. All that said, I think some people get too wrapped up in vintage and booteek gear. While nice, I don’t think it’s necessary for a good tone.

I mixed monitors for JB a LONG time ago, but I’ll keep that story to myself. Not dissing on the guy, he was nice enough. But I will say that it was the time period when he was playing Marshall Silver Jubilees. Let’s just say that I was not impressed...

I will add that we’re in 2019. Yes, 50 years ahead of 1969. So, I’d say that when you pick up a US made Fender Stratocaster or any Gibson or Rickenbacker nowadays, that’s old school enough.

New? Modern? Well, Ibanez and some other superfast guitar companies will provide that vibe.

You know, it's funny. Everyone talks Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc., but if I had to buy one electric guitar sight unseen, not playing it first, and have to live with it as my only guitar I'd buy a Yamaha. In My experience they make the some of the best guitars in the world at a very reasonable price, they are consistently great and yet you never hear about them. Never really understood that. When folks come up to me at a show and talk gear I almost always tell them to look at Yamahas and they look at me like I have two heads. Of course, most of them have no idea what a Heritage or G&L is either.

I've never been a fan of the solid state sound of the Deville's reverb myself, but I seldom play with onboard reverb so I guess it doesn't matter.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim