Thread: How long does it take a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb to break in?

Forum Member

How long does it take a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb to break in?

How long for speaker break in?
    Can I expect the performance of the tone stack to change?

I just picked up a new Princeton Reverb and I'm surprised at how ineffective the bass and treble controls are.
    I'm used to the tone stack on a Mesa where the 12 o'clock position is neutral and the bass, middle and treble can be cut or boosted from there.
    On the Princeton I've got the bass and treble both set to 1 (1-10) and the amp is both too bright and bassy at the same time. This doesn't seem normal to me, how do I cut bass and treble if the default position is 1?

Cheers,

David
    Vancouver, BC

Re: How long does it take a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb to break in?

The default setting isn’t 1 on Fender amps. I’d highly suggest you turn them up as what you have right now is basically ALL midrange, there’s overlap on this type of tone stack.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    The default setting isn’t 1 on Fender amps. I’d highly suggest you turn them up as what you have right now is basically ALL midrange, there’s overlap on this type of tone stack.
    Hi, Chuckocaster,

I should have wrote 'neutral' or 'flat' instead of default.
    I'll play with it when I get home this evening, but I think this amp is too bright for my tastes.

Cheers,

David

I use Mesas and a Princeton Reverb and find that the Princeton is a little brighter and the Mesas have a bit more punch. The amplifier's sound will not change a lot as it "breaks in". If you don't like it now, you're not likely to like it any more unless you acquire a taste for the amp.

Dunno send it here I will let you know when its broke in :)

Don my favorite amp is my MESA F30
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I use Mesas and a Princeton Reverb and find that the Princeton is a little brighter and the Mesas have a bit more punch. The amplifier's sound will not change a lot as it "breaks in". If you don't like it now, you're not likely to like it any more unless you acquire a taste for the amp.
    Yeah, I definitely prefer the Mesa tone, I returned the Princeton last night.

I think you did the right thing! I had a lovely 65 Champ that I could never bond with. Others would play it and LOVE it. IDK, just wasn’t my thing. Hope you find something that works for you 👍 Take care buddy
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

We as guitarists are never satisfied. I know, as for the most part of six decades, I've searched for the right amp. Closest I've got is a "group" or "style" I believe is close. SS, 1x10, 30w with reverb and an OD channel. But I haven't found THE one yet.
    So it is no surprise of the events of the sudden gain and loss of the Princeton. Done similar myself often enough.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

I found the "right" amp years ago and have been happy with it since. That doesn't mean I don't want other amps that are right for me. So... I end up being as fickle as the next guy!

I tried so many amps I lost track-- I had Settled on a Peavey Bandit 112--- which I still have and is a wonderful amp-- but as luck had it I came by (in trades I could never BUY one) MESA/BOOGIE F30---and -- I was DONE -- amp search -- OVER---
    http://mesaboogie.com/support/out-of.../f-series.html
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Since I don't perform in public, my first consideration is great sound at low power. To that end, I have two Fender combo amps (Champion 40 and Mustang 2 v2) and a 15w Monoprice (Laney) tube amp. All of them have 12" speakers. I also went real small, and bought a Line6 AMPLIFi 30 and a VOX AC2 RhythmVOX (which I have yet to use). Then, when I added bass to my repertoire, I bought a used Behringer GX112.

Right now, the Behringer is in my living room, along with my "tabletop" amps. The others in my "studio," where they get very little playing time. I keep thinking I should swap amps in my living room as I do my guitars.

I forgot where I was going with this... oh, yeah. The perfect amp. Truthfully, I think one of the Fenders would fit that bill.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I think you did the right thing! I had a lovely 65 Champ that I could never bond with. Others would play it and LOVE it. IDK, just wasn’t my thing. Hope you find something that works for you 👍 Take care buddy
    I've got a Mesa Rect-o-verb 25 that I'm happy with, I like the Mesa esthetic and sound.
    Sometimes I run both channels, other times just the clean channel with pedals out front, I'm able to get some variety out of this amp.
    I just thought I'd try something completely different.
    I haven't given up, maybe I'll get something from Marshall or Orange, I'm just jamming at home so low wattage is a must.

Forum Member

A local fellow came over and jammed with us a few years ago with a Mesa Studio 22. My sister in law was intrigued, and played through it for half the session. A few months later she had to travel to the city, and found a mesa dealer. She now has a Rect-o-Verb 25, and likes it more than any she's tried!

I like small Mesa amps a lot. I have a blonde 1986 Studio Series (.22 before they put that name on it) with GEQ, and Express 5:25 1x10" (with a Celestion G10 Gold Alnico) and a TA-15. I jammed with a guy who had a Recto-Verb 25 combo and I liked it a lot.

I'm pretty blown away by the TA-15. Awesome Vox and Marshall clean, edge of breakup and distorted sounds. Great with an ES-335. Heaven with a Tele. I had no idea what a good amp they were until I bought a used one a couple of months ago. It's got a big, big sound for an EL84 amp. Part of that might be the Scumnico speaker that I'm using with it, though the Recto-Verb 25 has a big sound as well.

I still like my Princeton Reverb, too!

Forum Member

I was at a local brick-and-mortar a couple days back and demoed a Orange Rocker 15 and a Marshall Mini Jubilee combo.
    The Rocker didn't work for me, I didn't like the tone of the low-power distortion (I'm looking for an to reside in my living room).
    The Jubilee on the other hand sounded pretty darn nice, it's got a huge amount of distortion at living room volume, I barely bring the dirt up past 3.
    I do wish I could select the power level per channel as on my Rect-o-verb because I prefer the clean channel at 20W and the dirt channel at 5W.

So I walked out with the Jubilee for a month rental to see if it makes it past the honeymoon phase.
    I can either buy this scratched up rental unit at apx. $300CAD off retail, or have them order me a new one.
    Let's see if the tone and scratches grow on me.