Thread: Mustang 1

Forum Member

Mustang 1

Anybody know anything about these amps? They any good?

Re: Mustang 1

I have several solid-state combo amps, among them a Mustang II v2. Mine is a 40w 1x12 whereas the Mustang I is a 20w 1x8, I believe. Truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the Mustang and the Champion 40 I have. All I know is it took me trying combo amps to learn that I prefer playing clean (and maybe adding a pedal every now and then).

Not very helpful, I know.

The Mustang I v2 has loads of features. Even an old man like me that hates computers, can make the FUSE program work. I had the 1st version and it was remarkable. The 2nd, the v2, is even better. For the money, it's a killer of a buy.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

I used to play in a small quiet-ish (I used a tweed Champ clone) weekly jam with 2 guitarists who had Mustang 1 amps. I brought one of the amps home with me for a week and liked it a lot when the patches were set up to my liking.

The thing with modeling amps is that there are so many things available to use. In reality, we as guitar players only truly need about four settings. When given forty or more we go stupid setting up multitudes of patches that are nearly alike. We only require a good clean, light crunch rhythm, bluesy lead, and rock lead. Once you have those, everything else is nothing more than a variation of the four. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. Keep it simple, otherwise you'll spend more time piddling around with setting up patches than playing your instruments!

And speaking of the little Mustang I v2, I'm extremely tempted to get one the end of the month instead of a new Squire Bullet guitar. My SS Marshall is good, but has only two sounds, and both are , well, Marshall! Yup, I may just have to get a Fender Mustang I v2 amp to expand my tone. Have thought about this a couple time this week.

Ive owned several mustang 1's and a mustang II and they are AWESOME for the $ you cna get them for -- download the software-- you have a MYRIAD of millions of dollars of "models" at your fingertips--
    take a week off work-- pack snacks and hydrate -- you can get LOST in all that tone
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Picked up a mustang 1, im lost going on the computer with this fuse thing. I just use the british 65 with reverb setting. So many settings and sounds, playing around, i lost track of time and it was like 10 at night before i knew it. I tried to patch it in on line with that fuse ptogram, got a little confused. But for a lil over a 100 bucks....this thing is awsome. Yikes! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicboom2 View Post
    Picked up a mustang 1, im lost going on the computer with this fuse thing. I just use the british 65 with reverb setting. So many settings and sounds, playing around, i lost track of time and it was like 10 at night before i knew it. I tried to patch it in on line with that fuse ptogram, got a little confused. But for a lil over a 100 bucks....this thing is awsome. Yikes! !!!
    Yup, that was my experience also, with the Mustang 2.

Well done!

The FUSE thing can be a bit daunting, but take it from a "Full blown all out computer hating old man" [and by the way I have shot computers that pissed me off] to take your time. Go slowly on the setup of the program, it will work. Remember, I despise computers and I made it work after some failures. But that program, once in place, is unbelievable!

And the end of the month, instead of a new Squire, I'm going to get a Fender Mustang I v2 amp to expand my tone. Your interest in the amp has rekindled my own, thus, that's my new interest.
    I have FUSE loaded in an old notebook computer and will no doubt need to upgrade it as its for the old amps [pre-v.2 unit].

Once again, well done! And enjoy the many amps that little box has hidden inside!

THose Mustang amps are WAAAAY under rated-- the FUSE software is VERY user frinedly--
    Ive tried OTHER modeling amps with online links-- the Marshall CODE was HORRIBLE-- never even worked right-- the VOX Valvetronix downloads are like 90's dial up--
    Fender GOT IT RIGHT --
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Mr. Sonicboom2, I'm extremely glad you took the interest in the Mustang I v2 amp. Drove to Tyler, and picked up one for myself. Wow! Far more amp models and effects than the older model I had some years ago. The old Fender FUSE program that was in my old notebook computer spoke to the V2 amp via the USB cable and found those new things fast. It updated itself!

I believe that if you go to the Fender website, the FUSE program is downloadable from there to your computer. Once in your computer, hook it to the amp. Then turn the amp on. It should be detected as new hardware and load. ( at least I hope it does! ) But then I may be all wet, as I mentioned before, am not computer friendly for the most part.

Mustang I v2 amp update.
    Bought new Feb 28.
    Mar 27, it began to load on its own, a most disgusting Flanger whenever it felt like it.
    Mar 31, it started channel switching on when it felt like it.

GC has a 45 day return in effect. I checked about amps being excluded like some electronic devices. Nope, amps are included in the 45 day return policy. Tomorrow, it goes back and I will explain the issue and request a refund for the return.

the machines are becoming self-aware and rising up against us, people. take action before it's too la..@#*%&_Q_ N(||}{P(

*connection lost*
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The GC folks were great. Looked at my receipt. Listened to my issues. Asked if I wanted a refund or try a new replacement with the same deal. 45 days or send it back for a full refund, 1 year warranty. I really like the amp, just not this glitchy one. Said give me a new one. I no sooner said that then they were unboxing a new one with a tech doing a full function check. Was advised that if this one does the same thing, they'll take it back and find me an amp that will suit my needs. Pretty impressive customer service!

But yes, the machines are on the rise.... I'm watching them..

I ve owned 3 1's and 2 2's -- great amps great software-----

however the NEW VOX VT20X offers similar modeling tech -- a better suite of downloads and --- it sounds REALLY DAMN GOOD

I bought one 2 weeks ago and cant BELIEVE the thing is only an 8 inch speaker---

amazing "chug:"
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

I picked Up a Mustang Version II 40 watt 1x12 for cheap and It has a tendency to just shut off and sometimes it will play through....? What could be the problem? Anybody have as clue? I don't. please advise....

Well, at least you know why you got it cheap.

Amps and guitar electronics aren't my thing. But considering the Mustang a solid-state, I'd figure there's probably a solder break somewhere. When it gets hot, *poof* goes the circuit. One of the savvy gearheads will suggest how to isolate and identify.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc "Rif" McKay View Post
    I picked Up a Mustang Version II 40 watt 1x12 for cheap and It has a tendency to just shut off and sometimes it will play through....? What could be the problem? Anybody have as clue? I don't. please advise....
    It sounds like the power transformer could be going bad or a Capacitor. But with a Capacitor it will make the amp sound strange when they start to go bad and a power transformer will either make the volume drop or quit working some times it will work fine until it heats up too much.

Forum Member

Just bought a mint Mustang 1 last night and now I find out that Fender doesn't work with FUSE any more? Are there still ways to update/tweak/create sound presets? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HugeRushFan View Post
    Just bought a mint Mustang 1 last night and now I find out that Fender doesn't work with FUSE any more? Are there still ways to update/tweak/create sound presets? Thanks!
    Check here: https://guitarpedaldemos.com/fender-...ng-v2-archive/
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Hello,
    I've had a Mustang 1 v1 for about 8 years. It has worked flawlessly until recently, when the volume started shifting randomly as I'm playing. Also a distorted sound coming from the speaker on the low notes. Is this something that can be fixed or is it time for a new amp (and is 8 years a reasonable lifespan for an amp like this)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hideaway View Post
    Hello,
    I've had a Mustang 1 v1 for about 8 years. It has worked flawlessly until recently, when the volume started shifting randomly as I'm playing. Also a distorted sound coming from the speaker on the low notes. Is this something that can be fixed or is it time for a new amp (and is 8 years a reasonable lifespan for an amp like this)?
    I don't know enough about these to say if it can be fixed or not. Sad thing is that 8 years might well be what you can expect these days. I had a Princeton Reverb for 32 years, it was serviced twice in that time but the thing is, it could be serviced. These new ribbon cable connected, wave soldered circuit board populated with microscopic parts ... eh, not so much.

Good luck, I hope it can be fixed. IMHO, 8 years is not enough, stuff should last 2, 3 times longer than that, at least.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I don't know enough about these to say if it can be fixed or not. Sad thing is that 8 years might well be what you can expect these days. I had a Princeton Reverb for 32 years, it was serviced twice in that time but the thing is, it could be serviced. These new ribbon cable connected, wave soldered circuit board populated with microscopic parts ... eh, not so much.

Good luck, I hope it can be fixed. IMHO, 8 years is not enough, stuff should last 2, 3 times longer than that, at least.
    Thank you for the advice. This was my fear, and also I can imagine servicing it would probably cost more than it's actually worth.

The good news is that you don't need a truck and a hoist to move the amp about. Why not put it in your car, drive to the nearest guitar shop and ask them what they think the problem is, and how much to repair it? Then you'll know for certain!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Can we do a sticky for this link on the amp page since we're having so many questions about it, or is an outside link verboten on a sticky?

Just a suggestion. I have no mustang in this race....
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I was lucky enough to get the Fuse soft ware and all the updates and patches before Fender stopped supporting Fuse. I am more of a G Deck man. If you can find the Fuse software and get the different programs you need to check out the amps on the Blues Jazz programs they have some really rare old Fender amps in that.