Thread: Jazz Bass Questions

Jazz Bass Questions

I know that the Jazz Bass is known to have less bottom end than the Precision. It's so with my P and J Basses.

Never mind. I hadn't really played my Jazz in a few months. I took it to practice today and had plenty of bottom end. In fact, the band remarked that it sounded great. I don't know what I was thinking. With the band today, it really was great. Low but growly at the same time.

Really enjoyed playing it today.
    Last edited by ch willie; 02-10-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Jazz Bass Questions

I haven’t really played my old Jazz Bass for 30 or so years, it just sits in a closet. What I do remember about my J bass is the volume controls for the pickups have a strange interaction where, if not adjusted correctly, really detract from the bass’s sonic capabilities.

It does have something weird with those volumes.

But man after yesterday's practice, I won't be thinking of my Jazz as lesser in any way. I was so surprised a how well it performed and how good it sounded. I've played almost nothing but my Precision for the last 7 or 8 months. I guess I was letting the stereotype grow in my thoughts and forgot what the J really sounded like. 1st world problems, eh?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Not sure I get the "less bottom than a Precision" . I will agree that if not adjusted correctly, can sound off, but that goes with any instrument.

I Believe that P Basses can be voiced with more "Cut" because the pickup placement is more between the two J pups give or take (thinking stagger of split pup etc). That said, I don't usually have a problem with sound, its usually the neck width that gets me. Some of the slimmer P necks fit my hand better - but not all. That is the primary reason for my pref to J basses. The bridge pup and feel - thats a bonus!

That all said - I have a Yamaha BB2000 with reverse P Pup up top. It has slight more mid tone and AWESOME tone.
    This isn't mine - but is REALLY close in looks......

I think pup placement, How you play, how you set the amp/bass, and the guts as well all impact how much bottom you get.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

It's not true that J Basses lack bottom end. I do find that turning the tone control down a bit helps to keep a clear and rich bottom end.

J Basses are really versatile. I love both the P and J and glad they do different things and do them well.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    While the stacked Volume/Tone pots of the AVRI '61 J-Bass bring mixed reviews, I can honestly say, it really doesn't lack anything... But that's just me...

Seriously... This thing covers a LOT of sonic turf...

I never get tired of seeing that :)
    Kenny Belmont

I think it has more to do with the midrange, both from the stacked pup in the P and the pup position. I hear most of the difference in the low mids to high mids, with the P sounding “fatter”. It’s funny you posted this as I had pulled the J out out and played it this week, hadn’t been played in about 6 months. Sounded great! I prefer the P bass, but forget how nice a J sounds. More “clank” and openness to the sound.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

So beautiful.

Here's mine--sorry that my photo is nowhere nearly as good as yours, Kenny.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post

Thanks! Here's one more then...

Towel please

You may recall - I have the 60s classic lacquer looks so similar. I also have the Roadworn, and the Suhr which is lightly relic'd - even more since I got me hooks into it.

THIS - is such a classic look - along with the lefty Hwy 1 willie has. I just like the look. and not all subusts have THAT look - but these do!
    Kenny Belmont

Kenny, I love those chrome knobs. Adds another dash of class to that already classy bass.

Misfits SIGNED-- Misfits approved :)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Misfits! Tres cool.

thank you :)
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Misfits! Tres cool.
    No, Tre Cool is with Green Day. Jerry Only and a collection of hired guns is the Misfits (I don't know if the latest reunion shows counts, with Glenn, Doyle, Dave Lombardo and Acey Slade.)

"Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Tre Cool has no "s". How dare you challenge my authoritah! How dare you challenge my pretentious phrase! :)

Jerry approving the bass I restored for my friend -- in their "lair" somewhere in the wilderness of NJ.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    T. Roosevelt

I need to get a pic of mine, she’s a lowly Squier but plays/sounds great. I put a Badass on it, DiMarzio Area J pups, new pots and cap, and Wilkinson tuners. Tuned BEAD, oh and I threw a Tort guard on her. She’s red with some dings, I love her.

Nothing wrong with a souped up Squier. I was a snob about them until I saw a band in Germany in a small club, 20 something years ago. Guy set up his gear, and I gave it all a snobbish look. Then the guy was channeling Jaco at times, Nathan East at others, and that bass sounded as good as any bass I ever heard.

My main two basses are Squier, I have ZERO qualms about them. I just meant that she’s not the prettiest girl at the dance... But she definitely has personality and a great singing voice! 👍 My favorite J basses are the Sunburst Stack Knobs, I’d LOVE to have one. I played my J last night at church band rehearsal and she sounded SO GOOD!!! So so good! The Badass bridge really helped this bass out. I don’t think they’re always necessary, sometimes the stock bent steel ones sound great, but it was a vast improvement on this one. Helped even out the response and added sustain.

Did you say SQUIRE Bass
    [IMG][/IMG]
    T. Roosevelt

Drool-worthy basses, VK