Thread: I didn't want a(nother) Tele but it wanted me !

I didn't want a(nother) Tele but it wanted me !

I've been happy with my cream Squier CV 50's Tele for quite a few years, and I have a custom built guitar with a H/B neck & Broadcaster bridge P/up that also makes some quite authentic Tele noises. . Then just after Christmas I saw a 2005/06 candy apple red MIM Tele in the local pawn shop window I tried not to go back but it was calling me, and as no one had "rescued it" by the end of January I had to buy it. I tried to part-ex my Squier as I really don't have room for more guitars but wasn't offered enough, so the herd has increased again.
    It's in pretty good condition for its age, the neck doesn't show a lot of wear & it has only one small crack in the finish near the jack socket where a classic "strap came off" drop has occurred. Compared to the bridge pickups on the other 2 guitars mentioned, the standard bridge pickup in the new acquisition seems a bit less shrill & Ice picky, while still being definitely a Tele. I like it. A lot

Last edited by Direstraits; 02-19-2019 at 11:46 PM.

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Re: I didn't want a(nother) Tele but it wanted me !

Cool! Have had several over the years but it took me about 55 years to become really enthusiastic about one.

Bravo on the "rescue". ! I fully understand the draw that occurs in this situation. It's beyond the normal range of thinking. Though the instrument is a tool, it does call to you when you see it.
    Have fun and congratulations upon the find.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

She's a beauty, Direstraits. Congrats. I always considered myself a Strat man until I got my Tele. It's been my go to ever since I got it. Teles are just versatile. They can be sweet one second and snarling the next.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

nice.

just realized the pickguard is the exact same color as the one I bought for my project. Then it hit me, I've forgotten what color the body is, the project has been sitting for so long. I had to look up my notes, it's vintage white blonde. Time to get going on it.

Thanks guys, I wasn't 100% certain about the red pickguard at first and considered white pearloid instead, but I think I'm keeping the red one as that makes it a bit more "different". Red on vintage white will look cool !

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

Very cool. I'm digging the red pickguard on it...
    Must be something inherent - my black MIM has a black MOP PG on it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

FYI, you CAN post pictures from Flickr. I wrote a post describing how here. I have since removed the images from my Flickr account, as I wanted to get below the $$$ limit. But the info is still valid.

Thanks OldStrummer.
    I'll try & remember that for the future ! (pics uploaded)

Quote Originally Posted by Direstraits View Post
    Thanks OldStrummer.
    I'll try & remember that for the future ! (pics uploaded)

I see you're not the only one who "gets" the red-on-red look!

The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Forum Member

Wow! That's fab.

Congrats!

Forum Member

QUOTE=Direstraits;636538]I've been happy with my cream Squier CV 50's Tele for quite a few years, and I have a custom built guitar with a H/B neck & Broadcaster bridge P/up that also makes some quite authentic Tele noises. . Then just after Christmas I saw a 2005/06 candy apple red MIM Tele in the local pawn shop window I tried not to go back but it was calling me, and as no one had "rescued it" by the end of January I had to buy it. I tried to part-ex my Squier as I really don't have room for more guitars but wasn't offered enough, so the herd has increased again.
    It's in pretty good condition for its age, the neck doesn't show a lot of wear & it has only one small crack in the finish near the jack socket where a classic "strap came off" drop has occurred. Compared to the bridge pickups on the other 2 guitars mentioned, the standard bridge pickup in the new acquisition seems a bit less shrill & Ice picky, while still being definitely a Tele. I like it. A lot

[/QUOTE]

I got that same pickguard, with the adjustment screws for the neck pickup. That looks really good on that guitar. I'm looking forward to finishing my tele build ... someday.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

HOTTTTT!