Thread: Ballistol to the rescue!

Ballistol to the rescue!

About two weeks ago, I had my Epi 339 out and wailing, and I noticed that when I would lift on the pull pots, they did not really want to work. Now this instrument was still pretty new when I got it and I really didn't wear it out. But Electro mechanical objects sometimes have a habit of getting dirty, dry, or just downright obstinate. So looking through the F hole, I spotted "the slots" on the side of the switching area of the pull pots. Taking my extended Oiler that is filled with ballistol, I placed a drop into each slot. Worked this switch back and forth about 10 times and the crackling, the inability to remain open or closed, and the issue of trying to keep one or the other functioning correctly vanished. Ballistol is also a spectacular string cleaner and fretboard oil. 100% natural with no carcinogens and Zero bad Effect upon electronic parts. And to think it was developed in 1904 for the German Imperial Army to clean guns, boots, rifle slings, and treat the wooden stocks of their weapons. And even the German medical Corps used ballistol to treat minor cuts and abrasions with great success and rapid recovery from the injuries.

I keep a small bottle in my medical kit. A small bottle in my gun cleaning kit. And a small bottle in my guitar gear bag. A very light application across your strings pressing down fully to where the oil reaches the fretboard, you have successfully cleaned your strings and lightly oil your fretboard at the same time. Talk about your two for one ha! So there you have it, my use of ballistol with guitars. Great for those crackling pots.
    You may now return your stewardess to the upright position and enjoy the rest of the flight.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Re: Ballistol to the rescue!

Ballistol and Winchester oil... Smells of my youth.

I have used them for so many things. A couple of months ago I used Winchester oil to dress and fix a deep scratch on a boot, worked wonders.

These things are more useful than Swiss knives, especially the Ballistol. No wonder it's also good for the guitar uses you mentioned!

I think now I need to order a bottle of ballistol.

I think I'm going senile! Or drinking too much rum & coke! Hey, it was Sérgio's idea [not really but I'm just having fun] But in the back of my twisted mind, I remember talking about Ballistol before here. Or leather repair, or something. I just can't remember right now. Must be the Kentucky Straight Bourbon and coke talking.... Sérgio, you gotta tell me its a bad idea to try out for the neighborhood drunk job at this late age! oops! Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Forum Member

I have a friend whom also raves about Ballistol. A few weeks ago I was having trouble with the stapler while setting targets, and cleaned it out several times, but it still jammed. Richard brought his little spray bottle, and gave it a spritz, its been working ever since, (I still only use TW35 on my guns)!

Its handy stuff. Have an 80's Kenwood stereo system. Nice old rig. I'll fire it up once a week to keep the caps alive. Do the "roll the knobs" thing to keep em going. When one gets scratchy, off with the case and a drip of Ballistol in each pot. I'll use that old rig once or twice a year, but Ballistol keeps it alive. My weapons are always immaculate as a result of it as well. And that little cut I got yesterday Got a shot of Ballistol too. Handy...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Its handy stuff. Have an 80's Kenwood stereo system. Nice old rig. I'll fire it up once a week to keep the caps alive. Do the "roll the knobs" thing to keep em going. When one gets scratchy, off with the case and a drip of Ballistol in each pot. I'll use that old rig once or twice a year, but Ballistol keeps it alive. My weapons are always immaculate as a result of it as well. And that little cut I got yesterday Got a shot of Ballistol too. Handy...
    That reminds me of the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." The father of the female lead was of the opinion Windex was the miracle substance!