Thread: Ok, a stupid question, but still...

Ok, a stupid question, but still...

Maybe someone has a good idea on this one.

As most of you probably know, I own a 1994 Fender strat, one of a short run of guitars made under license in Brazil in the early 90s, a sort of "twin" series to the early Squier series Fender strats made in Mexico with Korean (Cortek) pickguards and electronics that were made back then.

Well, I will load it with an Emerson Custom prewired kit of pots and caps (the ones it has on are shabby Korean ones and I don't like how they sound compared to my US Strat).

Problem is: Its knobs don't fit the standard pot poles, they're loose (they are made for 90s Asian pots). I do have a set of fresh Fender original American-sized Knobs, but the guitar is almost entirely original, except the pickups (it now has Fender USA pups), and I love how it has aged through these 25 years. It's a scarred road worn strat and I like it that way. The knobs are beautifully aged and grubby.

Is there a way I could try to fix them, like some silicone stuff or something like that?

Re: Ok, a stupid question, but still...

A quick fix is a wrap or two of Teflon tape around the pot shaft.. Of course finding the correct fitting knob is really best. If its roadworn, then changing knobs is part of the charm of a working guitar yes? ¿Si?

And you have the option of ageing parts. Plastic is easy to age in strong tea or in coffee. Then bury it in dirt and mud. Yes mother earth... Dig em up in a week. Knock off the big chunks and roll the parts around in your sweaty hands and bingo! Old nasty knobs from decades ago. Did this with restoration work. Note: I NEVER did the so called "relic" thing. Beating the crap outta an instrument is flat out stupid! But correct aging to match is most acceptable.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    A quick fix is a wrap or two of Teflon tape around the pot shaft.. Of course finding the correct fitting knob is really best. If its roadworn, then changing knobs is part of the charm of a working guitar yes? ¿Si?

And you have the option of ageing parts. Plastic is easy to age in strong tea or in coffee. Then bury it in dirt and mud. Yes mother earth... Dig em up in a week. Knock off the big chunks and roll the parts around in your sweaty hands and bingo! Old nasty knobs from decades ago. Did this with restoration work. Note: I NEVER did the so called "relic" thing. Beating the crap outta an instrument is flat out stupid! But correct aging to match is most acceptable.
    Yes. And that is what separates the artist from the rest! Kudos. Most relic jobs are a turn off to me. I have a very few. Only one that I like.

I'll try the Teflon tape!

Sure, switching the knobs is an option, I even have a set of Fender knobs here, but I feel that the old ones "belong with the guitar, they're part of it".

Some might ask "ok, Mr. OCD, but you're rewiring the guitar with new pots and caps", but thing is, the original ones aren't good anymore, and the Emerson stuff will definitely be a great addition to the tone, a great addition to the original Fender pickups.

I'll try to leave the guitar as original as I can, as long as I can play it live.