Thread: I now want a Tele!

I now want a Tele!

I've had a few in the past. US made. MIJ with Floyd Rose and coil-tap dual HB. MIM standard. About 8 or so as I recall. All were fun to play, but I was constantly trading and selling instruments for decades. Now....

Recently, I got "The Tele Itch" and I must scratch it. But my funds are LIMITED! Thus Fender is not an option. But Squire builds some good stuff. Looking at the Bullet Tele. GC has em for under 2 C notes in Seafoam Green. Love that color. Can't afford the Classic Vibe stuff.
    So I'm listening if any advice y'all have. Really, though I'm a stubborn old man, I do listen well...
    I'll be standing by...

Thanks
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Re: I now want a Tele!

Have you thought about buying a used Classic Vibe Tele? They’re very good, and it might be worth it to save up the extra dollars. I do understand that when the itching starts, we have a hard time not scratching it immediately.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I wasn't a tele fan for a long time, then I found a good one when I was avoiding work selling guitars. a MIM when they were going for $300 new, this one came in used so I got it for under $200. Maple neck, black, the previous owner had swapped the stock pickguard for a black MOP. I put in the Custom Shop Texas Special pickups and it cranked. I just got around to swapping the electronics for a 4 way switch and upgraded pots, and man, it's night and day. It's been the one I reach for first since I did that. (Don't tell my Les Paul or SG...)
    Anyways, depending on your budget, I'd keep track on Ebay and Craigslist for MIM or Squire ones cheap-ish.
    Also, there are a few budget builders that have a decent reputation, SX and Cozart, to name a couple. With a couple hardware upgrades you may end up with a cool guitar from those.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Musician's Friend has been running G&L teles every few days on their Stupid Deal of the Day site. For $299 you can get a pretty decent Tele...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Old Ranger -----have you considered the Reactor or GENERATION series from Peavey?
    very very well made (Reactors are USA) -----and VERY affordable

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pe...xoCVSUQAvD_BwE

My USA Reactor AX--'95
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

My T-style is my favorite guitar! There's nothing like a good Tele (except maybe a good Strat, ES-335, Les Paul, SG...).

I built mine. It was a great way to get a Tele, but I suppose it being a great guitar was a crap shoot!

This may sound odd, but online photography retailer Adorama has some awesome deals on guitars! I got my Fender Classic Player Triple Telecaster from them at half price of the going rate.

A quick look at
    SlickDeals, using "guitar" as a search keyword, yields some pretty impressive results.

If you were in the market for a
    Fender Limited Edition American Professional Telecaster, you could get one from them for $1199.

Now I’m wanting him to have a nice Tele.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I've got a tele build in stasis, much like the bass build. Pending evaluation, I have to decide what to do with my '08 Squier CV50 tele in vintage blonde. I've restored it to stock and haven't stopped playing it. It's a little zaftig at 8 and a half pounds but it is such a good guitar that I don't care. I was toying with the idea of putting a new nut cut to string it lefty for my nephew, IF he were actually interested in playing. it's about the only way I can be sure of him getting a really good guitar. I already know the guitar is great.

HURRY here is a G&L for 300.00
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    Ooh, it's a pretty one, too!

The last one they had was turquoise. Nice, but not my cup of tea (I have a weakness for the wood look!).

I just popped in to tell you about he SDOTD, too. Looks like a nice one for the money!

Years ago I was in a music store looking at recorders and took this AmSe Tele home. I love the look of natural ash!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    I'd consider this very seriously. A friend has a G&L Tribute Fallout and it's a very nicely made guitar.

Well gentlemen, if anything, I'm patient. The proper Tele will come along.
    The Jackson is fast and furious, but alas, the honeymoon is over and I think it's time for a divorce. Its not the Dinky I had years ago. This Jackson was basically bought on a whim, but it has lost its allure. I didn't install the new pickups either. I'll use it for trade material.

As to the Tele Itch, I dusted with flea powder, and will hold out for the right one. We'll see how long the dust holds off the bite! My Epi 339 is wonderful to play and the tone is to die for. Its keeping me happy. Just that a nice Tele would make the grin larger!

My thanks for the input. Oh, and Fred, $1200? Zowie! If I had that much lying around I'd go buy a Sharps carbine in 45-70!

Ok, I was asked to post a thing about the Tele I got today. The itch got intense and I went to GC in Tyler [35mi east] with the intention of possibly doing a trade. Sales guy was a copy of Billy Gibbons complete with the odd beanie. But he was super helpful. Went out the door with a new Squire Tele Bullet in Seafoam Green and dropping $17 to cover cost difference and 3 sets of strings.

Got home. Did an Uncle Wade Super Setup on it and was fingerpicking Moonlight Sonata, clean, and with glorious tone in under 20 min. Though ceramic, the pickups are very responsive and the controls perform well. Great neck, and frets set right and smooth on the ends. Pure. Simple. Solid. And Basic. Basic is good. What I needed was basic and solid. Fit & finish is flawless. I'll get an email off to Fred for the pic posting here in a bit. It was a good trade. It sure cured the itch.

Congratulations on a great score and a great new Tele!
    T. Roosevelt

I am happy for you. Squier makes some nice stuff. And yeah, Teles are simple slabs of wood—and don’t we love that!

Ihave 3 Squire basses I really like
    J Bass
    P bass
    And the new CV 50's P
    And a Jagmaster
    not a stinker in the bunch -- all short or VERY SHORT $
    Last edited by Volumeknob; 02-02-2019 at 03:51 AM.
    T. Roosevelt

Here ya go. As we all know, "pics, or it didn't happen." This is Old Ranger's new Tele.

Sweet!

NICE looking axe--and through a Marshall--YES!!!
    T. Roosevelt

That's a beauty! There's nothing like a Tele!

At first I wasn't going to mention it as most folks get excited about a Fender and yawn at a Squire, but ch willie said post it here. So I did. Peeled off the plastic stuff and this axe is officially home now. Left that stuff of for the pic so y'all could see it was new.
    Unbelievable neck on this thing. Very smooth and comfortable. Zero fret issues. After my setup, almost no relief, low action, and pickups in the right level. Intonation dead perfect. Yup, this was what I needed. Back to the basics, and in my case, it was the right move.
    Oh, and Seafoam Green! Ha!
    And yes VK, its run through a Marshall, a killer combination I must say.
    Ok, I'll shut up now. And my thanks to Fred for the pic posting! You bring my world here on this site to light. Ok, really, I'm shutting up this time...

no beefs about squier here, my main axe is one.

a squier neck is going onto my tele build, with squier pickups too. the body is a MJT. I really need to get this done so I can post pics

Sent a pic via texting thingie to my neighbor that's always trying to get my gear. He said he didn't care for the color. I said good, at least I don't have to think about him trying to get it from me! And I don't think I'll let him play it as I don't want it all beat up! I still remember the "worm tracks" all over the back of my last Tele he played. Pitiful....

This "Indian Laurel" fretboard is fine. Not sure about the minor fuss I've heard about it. Must be traditionalists freaking out about the lack of rosewood... Big deal I say. Plays & feels fine. Must be a more closed cell wood like maple. Much firmer than rosewood, but appears the same color. I kinda like it.

Well wax my board with butter and call me a Hodad! Its not Seafoam Green.... Stupid me! Its SURF GREEN!
    Last edited by Old Ranger; 02-02-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Enjoy the new Tele a good guitar is just that...

Forum Member

Tele awesomeness abounds! Excellent choice!

Very nice! Your neighbor is either color-blind or lying lol. Congratulations!

Bear with me, I've had 9 rum & cokes and I'm seeing double.... Maybe Tripple!
    The honeymoon is over and I think I'm in love! This über low budget Tele is just too cool! I absolutely frickin' love it! Through fairly plastered at the moment, it sounds and plays amazing! Earlier today, my neighbor, the one that hates to color, said he heard me wailing to ZZ Top's tune of My head's in Mississippi and said he was stunned. That was 120 meters away. I admit my Marshall was set on 8 or closer to 9.

Ok. Intonation is 100%. Pickup levels 100%. Relief is perfect. And still with the factory strings, it's a killer! Ok. I'm taking my rum soaked ass to bed and dream of my surf green Tele! Hotcha!

Nice!! I love the color with the rosewood.

I was looking for a MIM Tele that was the Muddy Waters version; blue or red with the rosewood -just for a dedicated open tuning slide guitar. I figured I can get nicer pickups if I really like the guitar.

I guess I gave up looking because the few used ones I checked out didn't "do it" for me. Maybe I need to look again. Since it's only for slide I don't need a rosewood neck, so....
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Great Tele, great color and great vibe!

I think I need one! And no, I don't yawn at Squiers, on the contrary.

My next guitar will probably be a low cost one. I really see no point in spending loads of cash in instruments when you know what you like and the affordable ones do the magic.