Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Bass Amp(s) Do You Use

Re: What Bass Amp(s) Do You Use

I'm sorry that the Ashdown wasn't what you wanted. On the other hand, now you hear how good the Hartke is.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Wow, really? I’m sorry it didn’t sound good! And here I was expounding the awesomeness of Ashdown... Just curious what your impression was of it, I’ve only played the heads. Mine is a 500 watter and the other was 800? I would think that they used a similar circuit in this one. Well, I’m glad you have an amp you like. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Hey, I played our weekly jam session last night using my Aguilar/Crown/EA setup (one cabinet) and I was still (after twenty years with it) blown away with what my system does. Life as a bass player as we know it is still wonderful.

Hey guys

I am not "bashing" the Ashdown line in general-- I think this particular one was built to a proce point if you know what I mean-
    1. 220 watts??? I dont think so-- my 1970 150 watt KUSTOM 150 watter would BLOW IT ACROSS THE ROOM ---so-- thumb down to the Ashdown
    2. the cabinet -- THIN -- not opening it to see if its ply or press-- but its THIN wood -- it buzzes and rattles like a pocket transistor radio on HIGH volume--

In the same week I scored a VOX Ba50 NUTBE -- tiny little 8 inch speaker 2 baffles plastic box

I was UNDERWHELMED by the Ashdown

I was SHOCKED at the tone (at LOW volume of course) of the VOX

of the 2.
    the VOX delivered as advertised -- tone for low volume

the ashdown........under delivered on a good moniker-- shame

I would like to try a head-- if I didnt need to FLIP the Ashdown I might just rip it apart and use the head --- or try a different speaker----maybe som braces to keep the cabinet stable-- just didn't bring the LOW I expected of a 220 watt Ashdown

live and learn and flip the burns
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

signature material stuff there

"Live and learn and flip the burns"

muchas grassyass

Forum Member

I want the Ampeg SVT's I've seen here.
    I use these two. Victoria 45/410 Bassman knockoff (I use the Clark version for guitar) and a Bergantino B/Amp with one or two HG 3/10 speakers.

I forgot my own gear. I have a Fender Rumble 40 and a Rumble 350. These are great sounding amps for small gigs. Of course my Ampeg V4b and HLF 4x10 cab are my jewels. I love that amp.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Hey, I played our weekly jam session last night using my Aguilar/Crown/EA setup (one cabinet) and I was still (after twenty years with it) blown away with what my system does. Life as a bass player as we know it is still wonderful.
    We do indeed live in a great time as bass players! As much as I love vintage gear, the new technology has REALLY helped with reproducing bass frequencies. Especially from a live sound engineer perspective.

And I totally understand what you mean VK, they probably skimped on the combo amps. I have no experience with them, only the stacks. I run my head through my Ampeg 6X10, which as crazy as it sounds, is easier to transport than the 4X10 I had... go figure
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Fender Rumble 800 Head
    either two GK 112-2 cabs
    or one GK 112-2 and one GK 115 cab
    and with either combination a 12" Mid Range Horn with bandwidth filter crossover I custom built a few years ago.
    CEO of Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalou88 View Post
    Fender Rumble 800 Head
    either two GK 112-2 cabs
    or one GK 112-2 and one GK 115 cab
    and with either combination a 12" Mid Range Horn with bandwidth filter crossover I custom built a few years ago.
    I have three bass amps, an Ampeg V4B and two Rumble combos. The Rumble 350 changed my mind about ss bass amps. It's fantastic, and I always get compliments on the sound, from both musicians, and the real music lovers I play for. And it does well with each of my basses.

Forum Member

Ampeg PF500, Fender 65 Twin RI (through a bass cab), an old Gallien-Krueger 200RB, Sansamp VT Bass and Blonde pedals, Kemper Profiling Amp. Mostly just recording in to my DAW and have all the major bass amp plugins too.

Since I only play in the studio, I don't have real bass amps: I record through a tube preamp and then sometimes use virtual amps. I have the UA Eden and Ampeg B15 amps (along with a bunch of others, but these two are the ones is use the most), and will either add the amp or just let the DI tone stand alone.

I did play bass for about a year in a local band, and played through their bass amp, which is a real gas. :)

Nothing like the rumble through the guts via a good bass amp. I've been using a modeler for my bass recordings, but I'm going to mic my Ampeg V-4B or Fender Rumble 350. I'll see how that goes, might have to return to a modeler or preamp.

Forum Member
    Originally from Watertown, N.Y. Have lived in the South Shore Massachusetts area, halfway between Boston and Cape Cod for the last 35 years.

I've been playing for over 40 years. This has included touring and doing music for television. I have used Ampeg, Ashdown, Eden, Fender, Gallien Kreuger, Hartke and Peavey. For the last 10 years, I have used various Ampeg amps including an SVT CL, SVT 4 Pro, SVT 6 Pro and SVT 7 Pro. My favorite setups are my U.S. made SVT CL with a U.S. made SVT 810 and my 1972 SVT head and 810 cab. Depending on the venue, I will use my U.S. made SVT 410HLF cab instead of the 810.

I love my Ampeg Heritage 4x10

Quote Originally Posted by Kmonk View Post
    I've been playing for over 40 years. This has included touring and doing music for television. I have used Ampeg, Ashdown, Eden, Fender, Gallien Kreuger, Hartke and Peavey. For the last 10 years, I have used various Ampeg amps including an SVT CL, SVT 4 Pro, SVT 6 Pro and SVT 7 Pro. My favorite setups are my U.S. made SVT CL with a U.S. made SVT 810 and my 1972 SVT head and 810 cab. Depending on the venue, I will use my U.S. made SVT 410HLF cab instead of the 810.
    dang, dude, that SVT is one of my dream amps. I had a mini SVT stack back when they first came out. Fun little thing but crapola parts, shame.

I had a V-4 back in the day, sold it to pay medical bills from a motorcycle accident because I didn't have health insurance. wish I still had that beast.

The only thing I regret about quitting live performance is that while I play it in my room and that's fun, I don't use the V-4B to full effect. Still sounds good at lower volumes, sooooo

I'm mostly a guitarist, but plunk away on bass just enough.
    My bass amp is an Ampeg BA112, just enough juice to do what I need. |I also have an old Supro Taurus head in storage (my parent's garage...) that |I need to liberate one of these days
    if I could have any bass amp at all, it would be the Ampeg B15N fliptop.
    I have no need for an SVT, or a Boogie 400 bass (I think those sound absolutely killer, but a dozen 6L6 tubes in there gets awful spendy when they need replacing.)
    I used to sell this stuff, so I've tried any of the big name brands a million times. GK is pretty nice. i don't mind Harke amps, but I don't care for the aluminum speakers.
    I'm only played a few cheaper Ashdowns, |I like the sound, but I don't know about reliability. David Eden and MarkBass make nice stuff.
    Not as familiar with the boutique stuff, though.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I was gifted a couple of rack units, one was some sort of 400 watt bass amp, can't remember if it was Peavey or Mesa. Never played it as I didn't have a cab. Can't remember what became of it. It had been on a shelf in my garage forever and probably got recycled at the metal or electronics section of the local dump. It conceivably could be in the storage unit but I have no recollection of putting it in there so I think it is now past tense. I remember it being immensely heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I was gifted a couple of rack units, one was some sort of 400 watt bass amp, can't remember if it was Peavey or Mesa. Never played it as I didn't have a cab. Can't remember what became of it. It had been on a shelf in my garage forever and probably got recycled at the metal or electronics section of the local dump. It conceivably could be in the storage unit but I have no recollection of putting it in there so I think it is now past tense. I remember it being immensely heavy.
    https://mesaboogie.com/support/out-o.../bass-400.html
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

ayup, I say, ol' son, I say I do believe that was the boat anchor holding down my garage shelf all those years, yes sir.

now what did I do with it? The question beckons.

I've always wanted to get a huge bass bin of some sort and serenade the neighborhood with an imitation of John Entwistle.

Forum Member

I use a Fender Rumble Studio 40. Before that I used a Rumble 40.

Forum Member

And that my friends was my first post to The Fender Forum

and I'm going to have to google the difference ... unless you care to elucidate them for us

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well since this popped up after all this time.
    For live gigs, I run through my Fractal.
    For those interested, I run through a SVT or a SVT and Tube Pre when running the Ric in "Ric o Sound" mode.

Just picked up a Hartke KB15 used for my upstairs room. I like it.
    I'll be able to sell it and make a little coin for what I paid. It serves the purpose for the needs upstairs.

I keep my rig downstairs so I can take to gigs.

With that thought, we are renting for 18 months as we plan to buy land and build. In the build, my music room will also be upstairs and the plan was to build in a dumb waiter to take things up/down. Well its cheaper to totally duplicate my Fractal rig.

So I may escalate that process which will be funded by the sell of the Hartke as well as a Mesa MKV (both acquired recently). The sell of those 2 should net me 500-600 over what I spent. That will cover a 2nd FRFR speaker. I had 2, but they were heavy as sin (80lbs each). Found one that sounded as good and was half the weight.. Traded those 2 for that 1. At half the weight, Taking my rig and the new FRFR to somewhere that doesn't have sound reinforcement is not nearly as daunting as it was.

It's just not GAS, its finding the right GAS for your needs.
    Mark

I'm contemplating a Kustom Tuck n Roll 2x15" cab with JBL D140 for use with my 200 watt mini bass head. I have a compact cab but this is for my basement use. I've always like those old Kustom cabs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    and I'm going to have to google the difference ... unless you care to elucidate them for us
    The Rumble 40 was a pretty good basic bass amp, 40 watts thru a 10" speaker with an analog preamp. (I don't require a refrigerator size amp and couldn't carry it anyway) I play in church which is a very quiet application, and also a classic rock/country/variety band that is not very loud on stage. Th Rumble 40 was perfect for my needs. But then the Rumble Studio 40 came out and it had the same power section as the old Rumble and a digital front end like the Mustang amps. I liked the onboard tuner (and it actually works well) plus the effects - I might actually use a chorus or compressor, but the rest is fun to play around with. It also has a 60 second looper accessible with the footswitch. It also has a stereo effects loop which I probably won't use, but it's there. So I sold the old Rumble and got the new Rumble.

ah. got it, thanks

I am a guitarist not a bass player, but I have four bass guitars and two bass amps. For bedroom bass playing, I use my Fender Rumble 25. It is a terrific little bass amp and I paid $99 for it brand new from Sweetwater. In my music room, I have a Hartke LH500 amp head atop two Avatar speaker cabs, a 1X15 and a 2X10 with Neos. As I said, I am not a bass player per se, but the gear I have is pretty decent for my needs.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

I'm happy with my Fender Rumble 40. It's great with basement band and personal practice. Moderate price as well.
    vaillantk

I’ve settled on 3 and couldn’t be happier. I play a Rumble 40 in my living room when practicing or when playing along wit records or radio.

for gigs, a Rumble 350. Or an Ampeg V-4B head through an Ampeg Heritage 4x10 cab. Love each on their own merits.

Maybe I'm weird, but I use a 1968 Fender Bassman head, with a Peavey 2 x 15 cabinet. I used to own a Bassman 135 master volume head, but sold it to a guitar player friend for far too low a price.

"When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I bet that rig moves some serious air, Michael.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Although they aren't the greatest speakers, they work well for guitar as well as bass. I also have a 1 x 15 enclosure with a high frequency horn, that I built, and it's better for general practice. Originally, I used the Bassman 50 and 1 x 15 enclosure as a keyboard rig.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Forum Member

Years ago I built a portable 115 cab for my wife. She wanted something easier to move than the Cerwin-Vega folded horn. This cab is an EV design, capable of 40hz, and the speaker will handle 200W continuous! We have used it in a club setting, and disperses nicely!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

To update my earlier response:
    Fractal AXE-FX 3
    Hartke Kickback 15
    now also have a Tech21 Fly Bass rig with an Astronomer box and 2 expression pedals. Much less to carry than the fractal unit.

Most places I play I can got straight to the house. If not, I have the Hartkey
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Years ago I built a portable 115 cab for my wife. She wanted something easier to move than the Cerwin-Vega folded horn. This cab is an EV design, capable of 40hz, and the speaker will handle 200W continuous! We have used it in a club setting, and disperses nicely!
    Bill, your photos are not showing up (at least for me). I'm just seeing 2 "minus" signs where I assume the photos should be.

Forum Member

I'll try again, Michael

Last edited by Bill Moore; 12-09-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I'll try again, Michael

This is what I'm seeing.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I saw your pic earlier, Bill. Dunno what happened.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."