Thread: Sunday End of January Thread

Sunday End of January Thread

Band practice today. We’re trying out a new drummer. We’ve auditioned quite a few; we’ve had a couple who’ve stayed a bit but had to drop out. Seriously it’s been a nightmare. It would take too much space here to tell you our experience with these guys. The guy coming today seems all right, so I have some hope.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Sunday End of January Thread

Sorry to hear about your drummer search. We're thinking about looking for a bass player. It's always tough to bring an insider into our little group.

I'm going to try to do very little today. I wasted too much time car shopping yesterday.

Good morning all! I just paid bills... this afternoon I'm back at Brian Keane's studio to try and finish mixing vocals on a few tunes. This week should be a fairly easy one... but we'll see....
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Good luck on the drummer search, willie!

had a busy couple of weeks with gigs in two bands and now a dry spell for a while, thankfully.

We we got about 15” (40cm) of snow over the last week and another 10” on the way this week. And my snowblower took a dump! Spent a couple hours outside yesterday in the freezing cold to do a repair that should have taken 15 minutes. Oi! But the machine is working again...

beens spending some some time with a set of rented v-drums and a bunch of drum plugins in Logic. After watching 2 hours of anLogic Masterclass on YouTube (Jono Buchanan from Guildhall School), I’ve just taken my performance, recording, mixing and mastering skills up by a couple of levels. Good stuff. Now to spend a snowy Sunday drinking coffee and in the studio without ever getting out of my pyjamas!

have a good one y’all!

howdy all. fairly bright and sunny day heyah in the great white nawth. well, sort of white, mostly edges of snowbanks and north facing shadowed areas. We had a lot of relatively warm rainy weather before it got cool again. a great deal of the sleet we got (nearly 6 inches of it) is gone, a rather astounding occurrence. I was sure we'd be white for weeks and weeks to come. supposed to warm up to 40 today. snow coming Tuesday into Wednesday.

saw a band last night that a friend recommended, great high energy show in a great sounding room. Tried out Uber for the first time, very much impressed at how easy it was. definitely going to use it again for when I go downtown for entertainment.

being lazy today (as if that were something different), made a batch of orange rolls. Really need another person to share them with. They're not as good the next day and way too much to eat all at once.

For the second week in a row I didn't jump on here to start the weekly Sunday thread!

Rather than go to church early today, I spent a couple of hours drinking coffee and studying how to play bass. I met yesterday with the band leader and we went over some songs, with my practice being my "homework." I've realized that playing bass is NOT the same as playing a guitar with two fewer strings. My biggest problem right now is a basic beginner's issue: playing only one string one note at a time, muting the other strings to avoid overtones. Slurring is also something I need to work on, as my amp is shouting my finger movements at me!

Had lunch, came home, and have been working a bit on the computer and studying bass again. I need to pick up and practice on one of my six-strings, as I have a guitar lesson tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Rather than go to church early today, I spent a couple of hours drinking coffee and studying how to play bass. I met yesterday with the band leader and we went over some songs, with my practice being my "homework." I've realized that playing bass is NOT the same as playing a guitar with two fewer strings. !
    I feel you’re really over thinking the entire bass thing. As a bass player for over half a century my advice is to use your knowledge of playing guitar and think in terms of a drummer...use those notes that work in the chord structure of the song and become part of the rhthym section.

Another day of below zero F temps here and a possible 12” of snow tomorrow....wow, is winter in Wisconsin wonderful or what?

Oh yeah, I purchased a pair of Series VI Bose 901s to hang in my garage and I think they’ll do a great job for me. I’ve owned two pair of Series II 901s since ‘75 and absolutely love them.

Thanks, guys. The drummer turned out to be really good and seems like a real nice guy. He’s joined us. Looks promising.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison