Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car shopping!

Re: Car shopping!

I like the wheels. That's one place where my car is lacking. It's a base model and has plastic hubcaps.

I've had my Subaru for 2 weeks now (tomorrow) and have put 650 miles on it. I like it a lot! Today was the first time I've driven it in real rain. I like the AWD a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I like the wheels. That's one place where my car is lacking. It's a base model and has plastic hubcaps.

I've had my Subaru for 2 weeks now (tomorrow) and have put 650 miles on it. I like it a lot! Today was the first time I've driven it in real rain. I like the AWD a lot.
    AWD rocks! I love driving my Frontier in snow with 4WD and the Forester is rock solid in any weather. I'm getting new rims for my Mustang so I can switch out to Summer tires without having to remove the tires twice a year. It's hard on the rims to do that. UPS dropped them at my mechanic's shop today and I dropped off the tires yesterday. Hopefully by next week we'll be sporting the Michelins again. Great tires but not in cold weather.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Volvo?
    Yep. I picked up a new Volvo CX90 T6 AWD Inscription. I'm really pleased with it.

It's also a milf magnet, lol!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Yep. I picked up a new Volvo CX90 T6 AWD Inscription. I'm really pleased with it.

It's also a milf magnet, lol!

Chuck

So, with all the cool cars you've owned over the last few years. what do you still own?
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Don, you own a Miata, right? Tell me about it. Year?

Another thing... how long do you think us fuel burning car lovers will be allowed to have fun with our toys? I have been reading a lot and it seems that soon enough driving a gasoline powered vehicle will be just as frowned upon as smoking a cig. If not forbidden...

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Another thing... how long do you think us fuel burning car lovers will be allowed to have fun with our toys? I have been reading a lot and it seems that soon enough driving a gasoline powered vehicle will be just as frowned upon as smoking a cig. If not forbidden...
    Sergio, I don’t live in your neck of the woods so I really can’t respond about enjoying our “gas guzzlers”, but I don’t think I have to worry about track time with my Corvettes while my lungs are still pumpin’ air. This 505 hp beast will be enjoying eating up the asphalt as long as I own it.

Don, you own a Miata, right? Tell me about it. Year?
    I do. A 1997 with the factory race package. I've had the car since 1998. It's a blast on tight roads. The race package includes Bilstien shocks, stiff springs and sway bars, hollow spoke alloy wheels and a Torsten limited slip differential. It does not include power steering, power windows and AC. It's like an MG perfected.

I think the manual transmission may eventually be pushed out because of its incompatibility with some driver aids.

Eventually, there might be this to look forward to-
    http://www.2112.net/xanadu/articles/...ning_drive.htm

I do. A 1997 with the factory race package. I've had the car since 1998. It's a blast on tight roads. The race package includes Bilstien shocks, stiff springs and sway bars, hollow spoke alloy wheels and a Torsten limited slip differential. It does not include power steering, power windows and AC. It's like an MG perfected.
    Could you post a pic? I'm enjoying this thread!

I’m on vacation and am having trouble linking a pic from my phone. If this doesn’t work, I’ll try when I get home in the weekend.

I bought a 2016 Ford F-150 today. More on that after I've had some time with it.
    Last edited by ch willie; 03-25-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I bought a 2016 Ford F-150 today. More on that after I've had some time with it.
    Nice! Luv me some Ford trucks!

I bought this yesterday, my 2016 Ford F-150XL Sport

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Woof!

I owned an F-150 for almost an hour, once. Bought it from a friend of mine for a fun ride. It had a Cleveland 351 A-built and a three on the tree tranny. Paid a whopping 125 dollars for it. Went to go for a ride in it and stomped on the gas. I saw the bed in the rearview mirror almost attain a 90° angle like it was a side dumper. The truck almost twisted itself in half. I called my friend up immediately and asked if I could get my money back and he did.

we still joke about the Flex-bed 150 as we came to call it

hopefully yours doesn't have that same feature Wish I were handier with automotive stuff, I would love to have pulled and blueprinted that motor, Cleveland A built 351s have been one of my few non-Mopar powerplants of desire
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I owned an F-150 for almost an hour, once. Bought it from a friend of mine for a fun ride. It had a Cleveland 351 A-built and a three on the tree tranny. Paid a whopping 125 dollars for it. Went to go for a ride in it and stomped on the gas. I saw the bed in the rearview mirror almost attain a 90° angle like it was a side dumper. The truck almost twisted itself in half. I called my friend up immediately and asked if I could get my money back and he did.

we still joke about the Flex-bed 150 as we came to call it

hopefully yours doesn't have that same feature Wish I were handier with automotive stuff, I would love to have pulled and blueprinted that motor, Cleveland A built 351s have been one of my few non-Mopar powerplants of desire
    Hmmm - Are you sure it was a Cleveland and not a 351M? I'm not remembering a 351 Cleveland in an F150. IIRC they had 351M's ( with pushrods) and then those were replace in the late 70's with Windsors, which got better fuel economy which was all the rage back then. The F150 was orginally a "tweener" that Ford introduced to get around emissions on the F100.

I don't know about a lot of things, but I do know my Fords!

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Back around 30 years ago I had an ‘89 F150 with straight 6 engine and 4 or 5 speed (can’t remember) on the floor. That truck was the second Ford product I ever owned (first was a Mark VI Continental I was going to burn on the dealer’s lot) and it proved to be a great workhorse.

I’ve never owned a truck. I’d like to one day, but haven’t yet.

Come to think of it, I’ve never owned a Ford!

A mid ‘60s F100 stepside shortbed would appeal to me!

I finally put the OEM summer tires on a new wet of rims. I think they look bad-ass and the tires stick like glue in hard turns...

Hmmm - Are you sure it was a Cleveland and not a 351M? I'm not remembering a 351 Cleveland in an F150. IIRC they had 351M's ( with pushrods) and then those were replace in the late 70's with Windsors, which got better fuel economy which was all the rage back then. The F150 was orginally a "tweener" that Ford introduced to get around emissions on the F100.

I don't know about a lot of things, but I do know my Fords!

Chuck
    quite honestly, there was only heresay that it was a Cleveland and no real evidence. Crate motor? Possibly. Although why would somebody put one in a rusted out hulk I don't know. I'll cop to not knowing a lot about Fords. We've only had one in our family, a Country Squire wagon that flaked paint (and undoubtedly rusted through as well) before my parents were finished paying for it. It had the fake wood siding and I seem to remember it going to the shop a lot.

*edit* image search seems to indicate it was a '67 or '68 which would make sense as we had it before my youngest brother was born in '69

My Dad retired from Ford (glass plant) after working for them for 30 years. So we've always gone with Fords, and of all the Fords we've had over the years have been reliable and spent little time in the shop. I'm sure there are lemons in every generation of cars. I stick to Fords because of the good luck I've always had with them.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I finally put the OEM summer tires on a new wet of rims. I think they look bad-ass and the tires stick like glue in hard turns...

This car looks awesome!
    I hope we’re done with snow and ice for the year.
    Maybe I’ll pull the Miata out of the garage when I get back from Portland. The only issue with that is that my 200 treadwear rated tires are not even supposed to be used in temps approaching freezing- they even came with instructions on how long they should be allowed to warm up if they were stored in freezing temps!

This car looks awesome!
    I hope we’re done with snow and ice for the year.
    Maybe I’ll pull the Miata out of the garage when I get back from Portland. The only issue with that is that my 200 treadwear rated tires are not even supposed to be used in temps approaching freezing- they even came with instructions on how long they should be allowed to warm up if they were stored in freezing temps!
    These are not supposed to be driven under 40 degrees, either. I will not be driving it unless it is warmer than that.

40 degrees? Would only be good for 4, 4.5 months in a bad year, 5.5 in a good one around here

40 degrees? Would only be good for 4, 4.5 months in a bad year, 5.5 in a good one around here
    It works out to around 6 months on 6 months off. The all-season performance tires go on in October. It works out in the end - tires last twice as long since they are only used half a year.

quite honestly, there was only heresay that it was a Cleveland and no real evidence. Crate motor? Possibly. Although why would somebody put one in a rusted out hulk I don't know. I'll cop to not knowing a lot about Fords. We've only had one in our family, a Country Squire wagon that flaked paint (and undoubtedly rusted through as well) before my parents were finished paying for it. It had the fake wood siding and I seem to remember it going to the shop a lot.

*edit* image search seems to indicate it was a '67 or '68 which would make sense as we had it before my youngest brother was born in '69
    Yeah, it happens. The Cleveland is unmistakable when you lift the hood. Besides the heads that made it famous, the timing chain cover and placement of the thermostat housing is unique among small blocks.

Good motors, but a 347 stroker is my favorite Ford small block.

I'll use mine a little colder than that- down to about the mid 30s. I generally use the car, top down, from early April into late November.

Here's a pic! This pic shows the aggressive Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec tires that I've got on it. They're not big or low profile but they're really grippy.

I had staggered Nittos on a Mustang. Below 50F you couldn't drive it, it was like driving on ice. But once it warmed up they were sticky little bastards. I could almost carry the fronts on traction compound at the track. Not too shabby for street legal tires.

About 15 years ago, I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE71s on the car. If I recall, they had a treadwear rating of 140. You could nearly stick your fingernail into the tire (that's an exaggeration). Below 50f, you could feel them kinda skip across the pavement. In warm weather, they were the most fun tires I ever had on the car. Turn in was really sharp- I felt very connected to the car. When I replaced them with a set of Toyo Proxes T1Rs when the RE71 was discontinued, I nearly cried! The car turned to mush!

The newer "Extreme Performance" tires have a treadwear rating of 200 and don't slip around as much until it's colder. The 200 treadwear rating qualifies them for street and street touring class in autocross and track events.

The Direzza ZIIs gave my car's great turn in response back (though I think the RE71s were slightly better).

I had staggered Nittos on a Mustang. Below 50F you couldn't drive it, it was like driving on ice. But once it warmed up they were sticky little bastards. I could almost carry the fronts on traction compound at the track. Not too shabby for street legal tires.
    On my wife’s ‘01 and ‘08 Corvettes I kind of went the other way with them tire wise. I got rid of the Goodyear runcrap OEM tires and installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires that gave us the ability to run the cars all winter long, even in a couple of inches of snow. With the Goodyear tires it really was like driving on ice as the cars had zero traction and would slide around on the road. The tires on her ‘13 427 are not available as A/S so with the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires that has turned into another “garage queen” that can’t be driven below 40 degrees or so.

Still on the car subject...

Pirelli just got themselves a new customer. I've always been a Goodyear user, though their tyres are expensive and services a bit unpersonal.

Yesterday I hit a pothole and wanted to check out if the rims and everything were all right. Since this car came with Pirellis, I went to the local Pirelli dealer and service for a check up and alignment. I was EXTREMELY well treated, they checked everything and since there was no damage nor need to balance or straighten anything, they just aligned the car for free.

I know every dealer is different, but still... Just shooting the breeze in this thread.

I've got a guy who installs my tires and does my alignments. He's been a Miata specialist for almost 30 years. He'll align the car however you like it and based on whether you plan to drive it on the street, autocross course ore track. I like mine a little loose with an aggressive street alignment.

I've got a guy who installs my tires and does my alignments. He's been a Miata specialist for almost 30 years. He'll align the car however you like it and based on whether you plan to drive it on the street, autocross course ore track. I like mine a little loose with an aggressive street alignment.
    That's cool, and I really like your Miata.

That's cool, and I really like your Miata.
    Thanks. Regarding tires themselves, I like Bridgestone for high performance street tires and Michelin for regular street tires.

Speaking of cars, it seems that the Lancer Evo will rise from the ashes...

https://www.motor1.com/news/356852/m...-return-rumor/

Thanks. Regarding tires themselves, I like Bridgestone for high performance street tires and Michelin for regular street tires.
    I have Bridgestone performance all season tires and Michelin Summer tires on the Mustang. Both great!