Thread: The Bread, Milk and Toilet Paper Sunday Thread

The Bread, Milk and Toilet Paper Sunday Thread

It's Sunday, and 6" - 10" of snow is expected. Yesterday, I arrived home from California at 2:00 a.m. and went to bed at 3:00. After six hours of sleep I went out grocery shopping. Unintentionally, but needing provisions, I actually bought bread and milk. There's a joke about stocking up on bread, milk and toilet paper when a storm is coming. Thankfully, I have toilet paper! :)

Now the snow has been falling all night and I'd say there's about four inches on the ground. I was supposed to host a workshop at church this morning, but I don't think I'm going out any time soon. And when I do, it's with a snow shovel in hand.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Re: The Bread, Milk and Toilet Paper Sunday Thread

As much as I understand the negative aspects of it... I really do miss the snow down here in central Texas. I think that maybe I'm missing my childhood also right now. Found out a good friend passed recently and as I get older I seem to wax nostalgic at times like these. Will spend the day enjoying the weather and do some mowing/ weed-eating... still chilly but the lawn recognizes that the days are getting longer so now it's growing again. Plenty of projects around here... all that's missing is the motivation. Peace be with you all.

Cold, but dry here today. We haven't seen much snow this winter. Lazy day planned. I have a busy week coming up and need the weekends to charge up the batteries for the upcoming week. Have a good week!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Like gibsonjunkie said, we dodged the snow bullet here in CT. However, I got some serious shrinkage going on -- it was 19 degrees when I when to the gym this morning. Brrrr.
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."

Forum Member

Just a light dusting here, supposed to have a pistol match this morning.
    I'll see what my brother in law feels like doing!

Was 72°F here a few days ago. Now in the low 40's. Expected to have rain, overnight lows in the mid-20's later in the week, and I still cannot play like those boys in Iron Maiden. So what does that mean? Easy! It don't mean nuthin! Not gonna worry about it unless I loose power. Then I'll likely kick up a little fuss. Maybe....
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Heading into the midwinter blahs up here. All stocked up with provisions in case we get snow. It’s been a light winter so far - maybe 12-16” total since first snow in early November? And it’s melted a few times so not that much accumulation, really.

Just brought home a set of rental Roland V-drums for a months worth of bashing - I mean playing - for some recordings I’m doing. I used to play drums and be not bad at them but only pick up the sticks sporadically. Been recording tracks with canned loops - really good loops, but still loops. Hoping I caninject some organicness into stuff I’ve written. Now that I’m set up, I can pull on my “I give up pants” and not have to leave the house for awhile!

Edit: just checked the stats...47” of snow since early Nov 2018. Hardly a record year and like I said not much accumulation....maybe 6-8” here in town. Less than a foot up in cottage country.
    Last edited by dirtdog; 01-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.

another cold dry day here. the only places where there is snow is alongside driveways and sporadic spots left here and there from plowing the remnants of the last precipitation event 9 days ago. We're about 64 hours hours away from the mid-point of January and my backyard is devoid of snow. So far the most snow we've gotten was back in November, makes me worried the winter gods will try to work overtime and shift things to late April and early May.

as much as I don't like to admit it, we need that snow in order to keep from being exceptionally dry next spring/summer.

I didn't do much of anything except watch some football. debating going for a second walk to fulfill today's hour. it's 16°F (-9°C) degrees but fortunately the wind is light. A couple times around the block should do it. I've got the thermal underwear on and pulled out my vintage N2B so I should get off the computer and go.

nice now but expecting temps in the 30's tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats DAMN COLD for Central Fl
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

what's weird is a week ago it was 16 degrees and I walked outside and it was ok. Tonight it was 27 and I froze like a bitch with the same clothing. It wasn't snowing yet but there was this incredible rawness to the air.

Damn, 30s in central FL? I visited Clearwater one March. For me the high 40s and low 50s were a blessed relief. I was walking around in shorts and a wind breaker. The locals were dressed like the Michelin Man.

resident: "Hey, mister, ain'chu cold?"

me, upon realizing some stranger was talking to me :"Huh? Who, me? Cold? Nah, where I just came from this is balmy." I had left low double digit highs and single digits +/- lows. It took me 19 hours to fly home, into a snowstorm where it was 11 degrees and windy as heck when I got back.

The word for the day is ICE! it's going to sleet/freezing rain/ice on top of the 3-5" of snow we got last night. It MAY turn to rain around 2 PM and then turn VERY cold by 4 o'clock. Temps will be around 0 degrees by morning and everything left on the ground/cars will be rock-hard. YAY!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Dont know how ya'll deal with it
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

I doubt there's any bread ans milk on the shelves at the local stores this morning. I hadn't heard about toilet paper being on that list until a few days ago. Guess I haven't been stocking up properly!

We got a few inches of snow before it turned to rain. Now it's just a mess. I was going to go car shopping today. It doesn't look like that'll happen. I guess I'll have to finally seriously work on that guy's Reverbrocket reissue.

I guess we're piggybacking on last week's Sunday thread. Woke up to far less than expected amounts of white on the ground, it is sleeting heavily right now which is better than snow or freezing rain sticking to the trees that are thankfully mostly bare.

no plans to go anywhere today. slept tragically late, woke up too early to get up went back to sleep and slept for nearly 4 more hours. Surprised that the cat didn't wake me for breakfast but then I did find a hairball on the floor so he probably wasn't as hungry as usual.

I made several recordings this week testing out the Avantone CK-1 mic (matched pair, actually) small diameter condensers. In my untreated music room, on a desktop stand, I got some surprisingly well balanced detailed tracks with one mic. it was very flattering to my nasally NE accent and just for grins and giggles I picked up my unplugged Tele. I was surprised at how well it picked that up. Granted it is an acoustically loud solid body, I choose them that way.

I think I'll test how they work on my acoustic. Now I really wish I had a good room, quiet and treated. I can't do too much about the former but the latter I'm reading up on, just got a studio construction and treatment book. Will let you know if it's any good.

I resisted the temptation to start a new Sunday thread as I saw people early this morning still posting to this one. Since we're in the depths of the winter season, this thread still makes sense...

Yesterday was a tough day for me as I visited my 91 year-old "life mentor" who is not long for this world. He is in home hospice care, and is no longer able to take solid food. He's as mentally alert as ever, but he's so frail that he needs help to just sit up. I was honored beyond belief when his wife asked if I would be willing to say a few words at his funeral. That could be any day now.

On a brighter note, I got to spend the evening with my daughter and family. These days, doing so is the highlight of my life!

Also, since this is a guitar forum, I had my first audition/rehearsal for the worship band yesterday. I guess I was accepted, as the worship leader gave me several pieces to practice, and we're going to meet every Saturday morning to go over the material. This is great, because now not only do I have a guitar instructor, but a bass teacher as well! If I stick to being teachable, I think I'll be on the stage with the band in a short while!

I hope everyone is having a super Sunday, no matter where you are or what the weather!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I guess we're piggybacking on last week's Sunday thread.
    I didn't even notice that!

A crystal clear but cold day here with temps starting in the single Fahrenheit digits after twelve hours of snow yesterday (first real amount this season) and some time with the snow blower to clean things up. Tuesday is supposed to bring some more snow so winter has officially finally arrived here. Spring is just about two months away...hooray!

Forum Member

What's this toilet paper stuff? As SEARS quit sending me catalogs I needs to know!