Thread: been thinking about monitors for music room

been thinking about monitors for music room

they will primarily be used for tracking, mixing and possibly even mastering. The last is only a maybe. Still learning to crawl with tracking, mixing I'm barely standing up right, and mastering would be the equivalence of an olympic pentathlon.

My current music room is 10'x10'. There is an unused bedroom next to it. They're on the other end of the house down the hall from my room. My current bedroom used to double as my music room, it is 2x the size of the office that is my music room now, and irregular shaped with dormer ceilings in places. There is an outside possibility that I may swap ends of the house, gaining double the space and having irregular walls and dormer ceilings that will help to break up standing waves.

I'm looking at 3 different size monitors, 5", 6" and 8". If I switch rooms, the 6 or the 8 would seem to be a better fit. The 5 would probably be better for the smaller current music room if I stay.

Re: been thinking about monitors for music room

stupid character count, here's the rest of the post

It would be a hell of a lot of work to make this happen. I already know how bad I am about starting and finishing projects of this nature. I guess the question is, what size speaker do I buy? All things being equal, with sales, b-stock and used, the prices are about the same no matter which size I go.

I have the JBL LSR 308 powered monitors (8"). Room size aside, if you are going to use a sub the 5" might work out OK. The 308s will give you a bit more bottom end. I do use the 308s with the matching sub, but the room is pretty large. They sound awesome!

BTW - I use a Furman Power sequencer to fire it all up, since they recommend a staggered power-on sequence... this thing rawks... https://www.amazon.com/Furman-M-8S-P.../dp/B00KGI7BY4
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

hmm, did not know about recommended sequenced power-on. what does it do/entail?

The manufacturer recommends that the subwoofer goes on and then the speakers and then the sound source to eliminate the "Thump" of some electronics turning on. This device sequences it instead of running around switching everything on and off.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I've increased the character count from 1000 to 2000...
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Yay! Thank you, Kenny.

domo arigato
    merci
    danke schon
    efcharisto
    thank you.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well your usage suggests near field monitoring, so at that point, room size becomes a minor consideration. If that doesn’t seem right re-rank your priorities on the room. Tracking, mixing and mastering are near field items. If room size comes into the equation, that implies that listeningis also involved. A totally different need. And different requirements.

I always wanted Adams A7, but got a pair of Dynaudio BM5As that I’m quite happy with. Woofer size is 7inch and for the purposes you mentioned no sub is required. And if it’s loud enough ( maybe the reason you ask about room size) , I can exceed 115db in the12x15 room they are in.
    Mark

man, I haven't thought about the NS10 in years. I remember when they first came out there was quite a buzz about them and I lusted after them for a long time. They weren't cheap and that kept them out of my reach.

hopefully some time today a truck will pull up to my house and a pair of JBL 308 P Mk II will be delivered. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while and then this pair showed up at a price (with payment schedule) that made me pull the trigger. Of course I'm going to find out I need some special cable to hook them up but at least they'll be here. Truth is the room still isn't ready yet. I hope by the weekend to make this no longer be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    man, I haven't thought about the NS10 in years. I remember when they first came out there was quite a buzz about them and I lusted after them for a long time. They weren't cheap and that kept them out of my reach.

hopefully some time today a truck will pull up to my house and a pair of JBL 308 P Mk II will be delivered. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while and then this pair showed up at a price (with payment schedule) that made me pull the trigger. Of course I'm going to find out I need some special cable to hook them up but at least they'll be here. Truth is the room still isn't ready yet. I hope by the weekend to make this no longer be the case.

They use XLR cables.

facebook buried the phtot - but here's mine....