Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come on in my kitchen

Re: Come on in my kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Those patties have left the ground beef realm and crossed over into "sausage".

Not really. It's all lean beef and Picanha fat, only fatter than the average "modern gourmet" stuff people sniff corks about these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    this is going to be the first thanksgiving that we don't have a family home to gather at. My brother is estranged from his wife so his house is not available. None of our apartments are large enough. I doubt if any restaurants are going to be open come the end of November.

But my favorite thing of thanksgiving is stuffing. Bread stuffing made with sausage and celery, cooked until the top is browned. With turkey gravy, one of the few times I actually want gravy. Green beans. Carrots. I usually pass on squash and pearl onions although they had them every year. And of course, Ocean Spray cranberry sauce from the can. Very traditional stuff

we'd do snacks, particularly spinach squares and pigs in a blanket. In recent years I had taken over the cooking duties since my mom was not quite capable of doing it.

I don't have the recipe of the spinach squares in front of me, unfortunately there's some quantities I'm not quite sure of so I won't post it here.
    Regardless of if you call it "stuffing" or "dressing" it's a typical Thanksgiving dish here in the states. DanTheBluesMan echoes my preferences of Bread with sausage and celery with turkey gravy. It's also makes a great breakfast omelet without the gravy.

I live in the southern part of the states, which means I've been subjected to my share of cornbread "dressing", but I don't think it's nearly as good.

So that makes me somewhat of a "cork sniffer". Stuffing is something that you shove into a turkey and cook. "Dressing" is something you cook separately, which means you can cook as much as you want, and it browns separately.

I visited my usual grocery store today, and in terms of "ground beef" plenty of plant based substitute. Not much in terms of anything that actually contains beef.

No Ribeye, No Sirloin, no ground beef containing less than 90% fat.

When I was a kid, it was relatively easy to find "prime" graded beef in a grocery store. Nowadays you're lucky to find "choice".

Want a veal roast? Good luck. Same with Lamb.

Yeah, I'm somewhat of a cork sniffer.

I don't claim to be a gourmet cook, but it would be nice to acquire quality ingredients locally without having to order online.

ah, yes. dressing vs stuffing. I guess we in New England tend to call it stuffing whether it was ever in the bird or not. So I guess ours was actually dressing then since we rarely if ever put it inside the bird. I think we might have done it that way but then took it out, put it in a pan and roasted it again until it was browned. Given how messy and tricky that was, we elected eons ago to bypass the bird.

I haven't shopped for meat in so long I have no idea what's available at the meat counter. I know that we haven't been able to get 90% since Covid started. I was actually thinking about making some chili or spaghetti sauce recently.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

this is going to be the first thanksgiving that we don't have a family home to gather at. My brother is estranged from his wife so his house is not available. None of our apartments are large enough. I doubt if any restaurants are going to be open come the end of November.

But my favorite thing of thanksgiving is stuffing. Bread stuffing made with sausage and celery, cooked until the top is browned. With turkey gravy, one of the few times I actually want gravy. Green beans. Carrots. I usually pass on squash and pearl onions although they had them every year. And of course, Ocean Spray cranberry sauce from the can. Very traditional stuff
    Bread stuffing with sausage, celery, and onions. Good the next morning with eggs. Lived in the south for years. Still can't get behind corn bread.

Can't spend any time with family, can't really spend any time with anyone. But trying to enjoy the season.

Or at lest, the food.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers,
    vinyl

Granted, most thanksgiving recipe are scaled to feed small armies. I remember a ridiculous number of loaves of bread, like 5 I think. It was quite the production. I wonder if I could figure out a cut down version that could feed 3 people with maybe a morning's leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    My sibs, their kids, and mine get together for Thanksgiving every year. This year is a challenge.

But for all our lives, our mother's "dressing" (stuffing to some?) was our favorite dish. Fortunately, my sister-in-law, my nephew, and my sister each got to make it with mom and write it down. So last year, our first year without Mom, we had "her dressing," and it was 99% as good. We were all happy and talked about how she was with us in that simple thing.

That's awesome.

We don't have a hand-me-down recipe for anything like that. Except for my dad's heirloom tomato seeds. He'd been growing those since I was a kid in short pants. My mom would make a "relish" (think salsa, but not spicy at all). I didn't care for that growing up, but I kind of miss it these days. I've carried on his tradition and preserve seeds from year to year.

My wife and daughter now have their signature dishes that I take great delight in eating (including a turkey stuffing that is heavy on sausage and mushroom). I'm simply relegated to grilling duty and holiday turkeys. But I grill killer chicken, beef and pork (ribs). My next adventure (next summer) is to grill a proper brisket. My turkeys usually turn out awesome. Kinda disappointed that we are not doing "Friendsgiving" tomorrow night (our version of non-family US Thanksgiving since we usually have Canadian (family) Thanksviging in October).

I do a turkey completely different to what my dad did. He'd put the 20-pounder in the oven before the crack of dawn so that by dinner time, it would be an inedible chunk of cardboard. I'd only eat the dark meat with lots of gravy. Wasn't until I met my father in law 25 years ago that I ate the white meat, cooked properly! His secret: 24 hours in a brine before cooking. I don't think he ever put the turkey in oven before the first cocktail of the afternoon!

This will be the first time that I've lived in Tennessee and haven't planned to go to my siblings' houses for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's the safest thing to do. It's my favorite, everybody's, and I hate that I'll miss it. Usually my brother hunts for wild turkeys and smokes 'em. Juiciest turkey I've ever had. T'giving, I'll grill chicken, have roasted potatoes, a sweet potato casserole, and Mom's dressing--My sister-in-law, nephew, and niece know how to make it and will help me out. .
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Funny facts about eating turkey in Brazil:

We don't have a Thanksgiving holiday. We eat the traditional roast turkey on Christmas Eve.

We often eat roast turkey with honey or corn syrup (often made with Karo) and confit fruit (pinneaple, Peaches and such), and it's called "Peru à California" (California style Turkey), even though Californians don't usually eat turkey like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Funny facts about eating turkey in Brazil:

We don't have a Thanksgiving holiday. We eat the traditional roast turkey on Christmas Eve.

We often eat roast turkey with honey or corn syrup (often made with Karo) and confit fruit (pinneaple, Peaches and such), and it's called "Peru à California" (California style Turkey), even though Californians don't usually eat turkey like that.
    I've never had turkey like that, but it sounds delicious to me, a guy who likes pineapple on his pizza.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Cooked a strip steak with pepper and onion for dinner last night. Juicy as I like it. Seasoned only with salt and black pepper.

Looked good a few minutes later when it was ready.

Btw I saw Willie baking a southern classic cornbread that looked delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Seasoned only with salt and black pepper.
    That's the only way to cook a good steak, in my opinion.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    That's the only way to cook a good steak, in my opinion.
    And that's the rub, so to speak. It needs to be a good cut, from a good supplier. Average grocery store steaks usually need more than that.
    Personally I prefer it over a charcoal grill, roughly 25% mesquite (any more gets a chemical taste, to me.)
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

did i hear somebody say cornbread? whar? whar? I kin really get all up in some right now, yes sir I can. Cast iron skillet?

I swear, as god is my witness, I will have a seasoned cast iron skillet at my next house. And a dutch oven, too.

did i hear somebody say cornbread? whar? whar? I kin really get all up in some right now, yes sir I can. Cast iron skillet?

I swear, as god is my witness, I will have a seasoned cast iron skillet at my next house. And a dutch oven, too.
    Oh yessir, you betcha. And the fellow still owes me his recipe!

Latest thing in our kitchen is sous vide. We've turned four (so far) perfectly ordinary grocery-store steaks into something you would happily accept from the kitchen of the finest steakhouse. Unbelievable tenderness and flavor. Best of all, you really can't screw it up.

JIC you don't know, sous vide cooking is done with the meat sealed in a vacuum bag and submerged in water the temperature you want the meat to be for anywhere from an hour to 8 hours (depending on the cut and what you're doing with it). The whole steak, for example), is brought to 140º clear throughout, can be held at that temperature while other dishes are finished, and then flashed seared (literally one minute on a side in a very hot pan) in butter. The result is amazing.

Jim, I had heard the term but didn't know what it meant. My son and I both do a lot of cooking and baking. I want to try this.

This is a pretty cool cooking channel. Lots of good ideas

https://m.youtube.com/c/CowboyKentRo...ue&rootVe=3611

Btw, Willie still owes me his cornbread recipe.

I'm so glad you said that because I now have an excuse to make cornbread and pinto beans. I'll take pics of what I do because I don't use measurements for cornbread or biscuits. You don't get much closer to Tennessee "country food"--especially if you've cooked some turnip greens with a little fatback in it.

My mpther's turnip greens were the bomb: I liked them as much as I like an expensive steak. Shit, now I have to go get some turnip greens. :)

Good morning, everyone. This Saturday’s breakfast was spicy. Made some of my own version of Huevos Rancheros. I fry/cook the eggs with the salsa already in the skillet.

I left the tortillas out this morning
    Last edited by S. Cane; 04-17-2021 at 10:18 AM.

That makes my hungry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That makes my hungry!!!

I like it, I don’t follow the Mexican recipe strictly but the ingredients are the same and it tastes quite like the original.

Looks kind of like a dish I make, Shakshuka.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Looks kind of like a dish I make, Shakshuka.

Yes, eggs in tomato sauce are q popular dish in many countries with minor variations. The Mexican Huevos, though, are usually HOT!

You can make Shakshuka as spicy as you want. It's an Israeli/Mid-Eastern dish, and it's so easy to make:

Dice up some onion and bell peppers. Brown them up (I use vegetable broth instead of oil). Add crushed tomatoes, garlic, cumin, paprika (I use hot Hungarian) and chili powder. Cook for about 15 minutes and then make some holes in the mix and crack in eggs and let them poach. Serve. Yum!
    Striving to be ordinary

The main difference there is that I fry the eggs in butter or olive oil a bit before I add the tomato sauce and the other ingredients, while you poach the eggs in the sauce. Otherwise it looks like the very same dish!

I add some Tabasco when I eat it.