Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come on in my kitchen

Come on in my kitchen

Inspired in the thread with the same title back in the LPF, I thought we'd have fun sharing our cooking, either haute cuisine or just the good old eggs n' bacon with black coffee.

Who doesn't love this?

Well, I'll start with the steak I made.

Went to the local meat house and got some of this preciosity:

Look at the marbling on this thing:

Seasoned it witgh this (it's basically salt, a mix of peppers, activated carbon, and dried garlic and onion. Very smooth.

I added some more ground pepper, as I love it

Too bad I forgot to take a pic of it when it was ready, but I can tell you, it was GOOD.

Re: Come on in my kitchen

I do our Christmas dinner each year, a prime rib roast wiped down with olive oil, coated with a rub of oregano, basil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt along with slivers of fresh garlic inserted. I also do a large bowl of sliced button mushrooms mixed with strips of bacon and diced yellow onion seasoned with a tad of soy sauce. Unfortuately, no pictures as it doesn't last too long yummmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I do our Christmas dinner each year, a prime rib roast wiped down with olive oil, coated with a rub of oregano, basil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt along with slivers of fresh garlic inserted. I also do a large bowl of sliced button mushrooms mixed with strips of bacon and diced yellow onion seasoned with a tad of soy sauce. Unfortuately, no pictures as it doesn't last too long yummmmm!

That can’t be bad!

Btw I just tried this one

very good

how hoppy is that IPA? I've grown to like them but sometimes some brewers go a little overboard on the hops

I had an IPA that tasted of basil. Now I love basil in cooking, but I don't want it in my beer. I've had some ok IPAs, but I'm not a big fan. If I can't have a German pilsner, give me a Yuengling.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I had an IPA that tasted of basil. Now I love basil in cooking, but I don't want it in my beer. I've had some ok IPAs, but I'm not a big fan. If I can't have a German pilsner, give me a Yuengling.
    They DO put some stuff in beers now that are, uh, NO! Basil would be right there! Bacon would be another...

yes. just because you can doesn't mean you should

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    They DO put some stuff in beers now that are, uh, NO! Basil would be right there! Bacon would be another...
    I hate to tell you there are a bunch of bacon beers out there. Not a fan of it myself, but it's often among the first sell-outs at some of the beer fests I go to.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

You know, there are many things that I cook living here alone, that end up setting off my smoke alarm! And for the past two generations it's always been in my family that the patriarch would be the official maker of Pancakes. I have to admit that nowadays my stove top is covered with bullet casting equipment and not pots and pans. I guess I cook lead better than I do food! Haha!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

When my kids are both here, they have a favorite meal. I slow cook a nice roast beef. I roast potatoes in olive oil and rosemary. I steam Brussels sprouts and then fry them in butter until the outside is just a bit crispy. And if that's not enough to clog the arteries, we have brown gravy.

I do a lot of cooking, but lately, I've grown tired of my own cooking. I need to start looking up new recipes.

I often get ideas when I get out of this small town, go to Memphis or Nashville, and eat at non-chain restaurants. It's hard to get inspired by Applebee's and McDonalds (we have a street that ought to be called "The Clogged Thoroughfare"--it's full of fast food's deep fried healthiness.)
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I was just looking at the bookcases where we kept the magazines my mom used to get, Women's World and Woman's Day. When we had the in home care 2.5 years ago, we were doing a ton of recipes from them. Many of them were quite delicious but unfortunately heavy on cheeses and creams which we had to stop once we learned of my mom's lactose intolerance (very sensitive even trace amounts were deleterious to her digestive well-being)

I don't have those issues and need to start looking up stuff and git cracking. I've got a lot of storage containers and two freezers I can use. I really could just cook once a month for a few days and then just defrost for the rest of the month.

Forum Member

During Christmas, I like to cook for a couple of my old batchelor buddies, and my old friends widows. This year I found some nice pork roasts, and split them into 5-6" sections. Overnight rub, marinate, and about 4 hrs in the smoker, they looked great!
    Things got too busy for me, and I missed my usual Christmas Eve, but everyone seemed glad to get them Christmas Day!

spaghetti carbonara with bacon. oh man it was good

does it count if we didn't take any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    spaghetti carbonara with bacon. oh man it was good

does it count if we didn't take any pics?

No. Pics are mandatory in this thread

I LOVE to cook, and do so often. I learned to from my Grandma and Mom, both EXCELLENT cooks. Grandma turned over Thanksgiving to me a couple years before she passed, which I took as a huge compliment. Luckily my wife loves pretty much everything I make, so I have free reign in the kitchen. I’ll try to get some pics up.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Just got my hands into a nice short rib cut... Rubbed some Texas style Black Rub on it and made it medium rare... Grilled some tomatoes, onions and peppers to go with it.

Life is good...

Share your dishes and recipes.

Here's the cooking thread, @Vinyl

feel free to contribute and post your recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Here's the cooking thread, @Vinyl

feel free to contribute and post your recipes
    Sorry, don't have any pictures, but this one of my favorites:

Chopped frozen spinach, thawed with all the moisture squeezed out.
    Artichoke hearts cut up and drained
    Chopped onions, sauteed in butter 2-3 minutes
    Sour cream
    Grated Parmesan cheese
    Mix everything together in a bowl, put in a casserole dish, sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on to,p bake at 350.

Serve as a side dish hot, or cool it and use as a dip.

Just outta curiosity, do you guys make homemade hot dogs? What do you put in/on them?

growing up, Saturday nights used to be burger and hot dogs and baked beans night. I used to eat a burger and two hot dogs on grilled buttered buns. I liked mine with onions and mustard and lots of black pepper. later I discovered hot pepper and hot sauces.

I like hot dogs browned in a skillet or cooked on a grill. If they were frozen and forgotten to be taken out in time to thaw, then we'd boil them.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Just outta curiosity, do you guys make homemade hot dogs? What do you put in/on them?
    I don't make my own, but while a student in college I worked summers at a hot dog factory.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

growing up, Saturday nights used to be burger and hot dogs and baked beans night. I used to eat a burger and two hot dogs on grilled buttered buns. I liked mine with onions and mustard and lots of black pepper. later I discovered hot pepper and hot sauces.

I like hot dogs browned in a skillet or cooked on a grill. If they were frozen and forgotten to be taken out in time to thaw, then we'd boil them.
    I like my dogs burnt with nothing on them. Grilled is better skillet works too. Burgers done medium.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I've always used a charcoal grill. I do love the taste it gives the food. But I splurged on a Weber gas grill this summer, and I love the lack of mess. It's so easy to step outside, turn on the tank, and heat it up. So far, it's seen steaks, burgers, and dogs. But I'm going to have to get into roasting veggies. I've got about 15-20 lbs of meat in my fridge. When the meat is gone, I'm going 100% vegetarian, not vegan though. I love milk so much, I'd take it straight from the teat.

I've always used a charcoal grill. I do love the taste it gives the food. But I splurged on a Weber gas grill this summer, and I love the lack of mess. It's so easy to step outside, turn on the tank, and heat it up. So far, it's seen steaks, burgers, and dogs. But I'm going to have to get into roasting veggies. I've got about 15-20 lbs of meat in my fridge. When the meat is gone, I'm going 100% vegetarian, not vegan though. I love milk so much, I'd take it straight from the teat.
    I went a step further and converted to natural gas - no tanks to run out halfway through a cook. Anybody who cooks meat needs one of these!!! https://meater.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I went a step further and converted to natural gas - no tanks to run out halfway through a cook. Anybody who cooks meat needs one of these!!! https://meater.com/
    Wow! If I weren't going veggie, I'd snag one of those. That's a useful app.

I really miss having a grill, now that I'm living in an apartment. If we do move into a house again, I don't care what it takes but I'm getting a gas grill (and I do like the idea of a natural gas hookup) as soon as possible no matter what time of year it is. If it weren't for the damn crappy trees in my (former) backyard I would have grilled a whole lot more. Having to extricate the grill from the garage really kept the usage down.

grill 'em if you got 'em. I sure wish I could so do it for me

I love hot dogs even though I shouldn't. No clue how to make them myself.
    Cooked on a charcoal grill, especially with cheese, (or,and) with chili.

Here in the states we don't have much opportunity to make them ourselves but that doesn't mean we don't like them.

FWIW, my brother and I once owned a house that had a gas grill connected to a 500 gallon propane tank. Sadly that grill was made for natural gas, and propane meant that the temperature was higher than intended. Regardless, with the help of someone else, I was able to cook some awesome spicy Italian sausage.

Not sure what my point is, other than we all love food, regardless of what that may mean, but I think this is a good thread.

Wow! If I weren't going veggie, I'd snag one of those. That's a useful app.

You’re going vegetarian? How is that working?

Anyway here’s something I like to make: homemade burgers with zucchini

ya might wanna cook those burgers just a >< little bit more

ya might wanna cook those burgers just a >< little bit more

Haha they looked good after I cooked them.

You’re going vegetarian? How is that working?
    I haven't done so yet. I have some pounds of meat in my freezer and fridge that I'm going to finish...I love meat, but I love animals so much, and I feel hypocritical about eating them. And I won't put down anyone who likes meat or even hunts for it. This is a personal decision and not part of a fad.

Anyway here’s something I like to make: homemade burgers with zucchini
    That is NOT 85% lean ground beef. Lots of marbling, which means juicy goodness. Yum!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    That is NOT 85% lean ground beef. Lots of marbling, which means juicy goodness. Yum!
    There can definitely be a case where there can be not enough fat content.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but at least here in the states, Thanksgiving is fast approaching.

Anyone care to share about a favorite Thanksgiving dish? Or perhaps just an Autumn thing?

I get that Thanksgiving is purely an American thing, but still want to hear about food from other countries significant to autumn, or spring.

Yesterday marked the Autumnal Equinox for those of us that live north of the equator, but for those that live south of the equator, it's the beginning of spring.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could celebrate Sergio's wedding with a nice meal? Especially since he has no interest of letting us send a gift?

this is going to be the first thanksgiving that we don't have a family home to gather at. My brother is estranged from his wife so his house is not available. None of our apartments are large enough. I doubt if any restaurants are going to be open come the end of November.

But my favorite thing of thanksgiving is stuffing. Bread stuffing made with sausage and celery, cooked until the top is browned. With turkey gravy, one of the few times I actually want gravy. Green beans. Carrots. I usually pass on squash and pearl onions although they had them every year. And of course, Ocean Spray cranberry sauce from the can. Very traditional stuff

we'd do snacks, particularly spinach squares and pigs in a blanket. In recent years I had taken over the cooking duties since my mom was not quite capable of doing it.

I don't have the recipe of the spinach squares in front of me, unfortunately there's some quantities I'm not quite sure of so I won't post it here.

Forum Member

I'm sure we'll get together as a family like we always do. We usually cook a ham, (I smoked one last year), and someone else does the turkey. Others in the family all pitch in on the trimmings, and we usually go to a brother in laws house that will handle everybody. Being from New Mexico we have a lot of "real" food to compliment the "traditional"
    Funny, we have lost most of the elders, and some kids don't make it in, but with grandkids, and great grandkids, there are a lot of us! Val's older sister and her husband died years ago, but some of her kids and grandkids are sure to come.
    In spite of our governor, most folks around here pay little attention to the excesses of her mandates. Unfortunately enough people from somewhere else have moved here, and even convinced the city council to pass some silly "mandates" on their own. A city cop was in Walmart last weekend harassing my grand daughter to put a mask on her baby! She told them to stick it of course. I await common sense to return here.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Those patties have left the ground beef realm and crossed over into "sausage".
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

My sibs, their kids, and mine get together for Thanksgiving every year. This year is a challenge.

But for all our lives, our mother's "dressing" (stuffing to some?) was our favorite dish. Fortunately, my sister-in-law, my nephew, and my sister each got to make it with mom and write it down. So last year, our first year without Mom, we had "her dressing," and it was 99% as good. We were all happy and talked about how she was with us in that simple thing.