Thread: Come on in my kitchen

Come on in my kitchen

Inspired in the thread with the same title back in the LPF, I thought we'd have fun sharing our cooking, either haute cuisine or just the good old eggs n' bacon with black coffee.

Who doesn't love this?

Well, I'll start with the steak I made.

Went to the local meat house and got some of this preciosity:

Look at the marbling on this thing:

Seasoned it witgh this (it's basically salt, a mix of peppers, activated carbon, and dried garlic and onion. Very smooth.

I added some more ground pepper, as I love it

Too bad I forgot to take a pic of it when it was ready, but I can tell you, it was GOOD.

Re: Come on in my kitchen

I do our Christmas dinner each year, a prime rib roast wiped down with olive oil, coated with a rub of oregano, basil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt along with slivers of fresh garlic inserted. I also do a large bowl of sliced button mushrooms mixed with strips of bacon and diced yellow onion seasoned with a tad of soy sauce. Unfortuately, no pictures as it doesn't last too long yummmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I do our Christmas dinner each year, a prime rib roast wiped down with olive oil, coated with a rub of oregano, basil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt along with slivers of fresh garlic inserted. I also do a large bowl of sliced button mushrooms mixed with strips of bacon and diced yellow onion seasoned with a tad of soy sauce. Unfortuately, no pictures as it doesn't last too long yummmmm!

That can’t be bad!

Btw I just tried this one

very good

how hoppy is that IPA? I've grown to like them but sometimes some brewers go a little overboard on the hops

I had an IPA that tasted of basil. Now I love basil in cooking, but I don't want it in my beer. I've had some ok IPAs, but I'm not a big fan. If I can't have a German pilsner, give me a Yuengling.
    Guitar freaks of the world unite!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I had an IPA that tasted of basil. Now I love basil in cooking, but I don't want it in my beer. I've had some ok IPAs, but I'm not a big fan. If I can't have a German pilsner, give me a Yuengling.
    They DO put some stuff in beers now that are, uh, NO! Basil would be right there! Bacon would be another...

yes. just because you can doesn't mean you should

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    They DO put some stuff in beers now that are, uh, NO! Basil would be right there! Bacon would be another...
    I hate to tell you there are a bunch of bacon beers out there. Not a fan of it myself, but it's often among the first sell-outs at some of the beer fests I go to.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

You know, there are many things that I cook living here alone, that end up setting off my smoke alarm! And for the past two generations it's always been in my family that the patriarch would be the official maker of Pancakes. I have to admit that nowadays my stove top is covered with bullet casting equipment and not pots and pans. I guess I cook lead better than I do food! Haha!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

When my kids are both here, they have a favorite meal. I slow cook a nice roast beef. I roast potatoes in olive oil and rosemary. I steam Brussels sprouts and then fry them in butter until the outside is just a bit crispy. And if that's not enough to clog the arteries, we have brown gravy.

I do a lot of cooking, but lately, I've grown tired of my own cooking. I need to start looking up new recipes.

I often get ideas when I get out of this small town, go to Memphis or Nashville, and eat at non-chain restaurants. It's hard to get inspired by Applebee's and McDonalds (we have a street that ought to be called "The Clogged Thoroughfare"--it's full of fast food's deep fried healthiness.)
    Guitar freaks of the world unite!

I was just looking at the bookcases where we kept the magazines my mom used to get, Women's World and Woman's Day. When we had the in home care 2.5 years ago, we were doing a ton of recipes from them. Many of them were quite delicious but unfortunately heavy on cheeses and creams which we had to stop once we learned of my mom's lactose intolerance (very sensitive even trace amounts were deleterious to her digestive well-being)

I don't have those issues and need to start looking up stuff and git cracking. I've got a lot of storage containers and two freezers I can use. I really could just cook once a month for a few days and then just defrost for the rest of the month.

Forum Member

During Christmas, I like to cook for a couple of my old batchelor buddies, and my old friends widows. This year I found some nice pork roasts, and split them into 5-6" sections. Overnight rub, marinate, and about 4 hrs in the smoker, they looked great!
    Things got too busy for me, and I missed my usual Christmas Eve, but everyone seemed glad to get them Christmas Day!

spaghetti carbonara with bacon. oh man it was good

does it count if we didn't take any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    spaghetti carbonara with bacon. oh man it was good

does it count if we didn't take any pics?

No. Pics are mandatory in this thread

I LOVE to cook, and do so often. I learned to from my Grandma and Mom, both EXCELLENT cooks. Grandma turned over Thanksgiving to me a couple years before she passed, which I took as a huge compliment. Luckily my wife loves pretty much everything I make, so I have free reign in the kitchen. I’ll try to get some pics up.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Just got my hands into a nice short rib cut... Rubbed some Texas style Black Rub on it and made it medium rare... Grilled some tomatoes, onions and peppers to go with it.

Life is good...

Share your dishes and recipes.