Thread: Boss Katana 50 vs Yamaha THR10 - best for home use?

Forum Member

Boss Katana 50 vs Yamaha THR10 - best for home use?

It seems both the Boss Katana 50 and Yamaha THR10 get rave reviews for home use and practicing purposes. Does anyone own either of these and can speak to why you bought it, and what you like/dislike about it?

Re: Boss Katana 50 vs Yamaha THR10 - best for home use?

I can't compare the two that you're inquiring about but I do love my THR10x. It's not going to provide you with tube tones but what it does, it does extremely well. I got mine because my combo amps lost so much dynamics at very low volumes. This is where the Yamaha THR series truly shines. Even at a whisper, it doesn't lose any definition unlike many combos that begin to sound anemic when you turn the volume down. Also... don't dismiss the size of the speakers. Tone, clarity, etc continue to exist as you turn up the volume. Surprising how loud this amp gets before it starts breaking up. It even takes bass frequency fairly well... although to be fair I wouldn't suggest cranking it very high if running a bass guitar through it. Worth mentioning that this little amp takes pedals VERY well. I have everything from a Effectrode SR71 Blackbird tube-preamp to a MXR Full Bore Metal effect running through my THR10x and whether wanting crystal cleans or raunchy grit... this amp delivers.

Re: Boss Katana 50 vs Yamaha THR10 - best for home use?

I looked at the THR-10 and nearly bought it, but I opted for the Line6 AMPLIFi 30, instead. If you haven't settled on one of the two you mentioned, you might take a look at it. https://line6.com/amplifi/

Here's a photo of it with my EC Strat, for size comparison.