Thread: Last Sunday of 2018

Last Sunday of 2018

I hope everyone has a safe New Year’s Eve and a great 2019. We’re headed out for our usual Sunday morning with our friends and breakfast.

Re: Last Sunday of 2018

I just finished my first cuppa coffee and am torn between getting another and surfing. If I had a coffee maker beside my computer I'd probably never move.

just kidding, I'd have to go buy more coffee and filters eventually

did I hit 1000 characters yet? Always surprised at how few lines it takes to get there. Waiting a few more minutes before I call a friend of mine and see if he's up to some guitar while watching football. last game of the season before the playoffs.

allegedly it's snowing according to my phone not so much according to my window.

Hi all... not much to report - taking a slow Sunday today. Gearing up to go back to work on Wednesday. Been working in Charlie Karp's studio - ready to do a final mix on two new songs. They came out really good so far! Have a very Happy New Year! We'll be home - the wife just found out she has the flu and pneumonia and a compressed disk which might require surgery, so we'll have a quiet New Year's eve - but I'd prefer that.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I'm probably going to take a short road trip, just to get out of the house. I'm enjoying the winter break. It's nice not to have to prepare classes as I do each Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great day.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I was eager to show the band leader the pics of my new bass and amp, only to find he was off today!

No guitar lesson this week, due to the holidays. I find I'm getting better at timekeeping (thanks guys!). And will practice this afternoon -- both guitar and bass!

I'm digging the bass, and while it's still early, may have found my calling! I've found that I can get different sounds by using my thumb or my fingertips (I'm too clumsy to fingerpick well on guitar, but string spacing and size on the bass make it a lot easier).

One of the bass runs I really like is Jack Casady's intro to "3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds" from Jefferson Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" (live) album. Nailed it this morning! Also got into the bass portion of Quicksilver Messenger Service's long "Who Do You Love" suite! :)

The 34" scale is a bit awkward at times, which is why I've been looking at short scale basses, but I'm finding it manageable.

Boy, this 1,000 character limit is frustrating! I didn't think I was wordy, but I have to chop up my posts a lot, and that makes them incoherent. Any chance we can get that lifted? Or at least extended? My wish for the New Year...

Funny that you say that, OS. I had a GREAT guitar story ( wasn't even that long but it was quite cool and meant a lot to me to post it). Took a lot of time to write and after posting it then deleting over and over to get it down to 1000 characters, I just gave up and said screw it. The story was less and less inspiring and eventually it wasn't even worth posting. Really a shame as there could be much more positive content here without such limitations. Anyway... Happy holidays to all.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I'm digging the bass, and while it's still early, may have found my calling! I've found that I can get different sounds by using my thumb or my fingertips (I'm too clumsy to fingerpick well on guitar, but string spacing and size on the bass make it a lot easier).

The 34" scale is a bit awkward at times, which is why I've been looking at short scale basses, but I'm finding it manageable.
    OS, my advice to you is don’t think of bass in terms of specific “runs” you like in songs, think more in terms of a rhythm section, sort of like a drummer that has switched to an instrument. Concentrate on the Groove.
    Also, don’t let the scale of the neck throw you, my Lakland has a 35” scale and I switch between basses without really thinking about it.
    By the way, looked at your profile, we have a lot in common. Cars, dining, and I have a degree in Computer Science.

Is it Sunday? I've been on vacation since the 21st and have lost track of time! We had a great acoustic jam last night! A lot of talent in the room. A friend brought his Froggy Bottom H12 that his wife's uncle built for him as a 50th birthday gift. Lucky stiff!

Thanks, @Laker. I hear you. Today, given my proclivity to act impulsively, especially with time on my hands (and a few $$ in the bank), I went to a local store that I knew had an Ibanez GRSM20 MiKro (28.6" scale) to get my hands on it. Other than hating the color, I was quite impressed with the sound and the feel. My small hands liked it! After playing some scales, some runs and even some chords, I started to play some basic "bottom" notes, just making notes and not solos.

Earlier, in church, there was only an acoustic guitar player. I watched and listened, and tried to imagine how I could add bottom to her playing without being distracting. And that's one thing I like about the bass -- you don't have to stand out front and be the focus of everyone's attention!

(Can't even reply with a quote without running into the 1,000 character limit. This is maddening).