Thread: Tele 4-way switch

Tele 4-way switch

So I just bought myself the Tele 4-way switch kit from Stewart-McDonald. I'm putting it (or will be, next week, when I get some time) into my MIM standard Tele with Texas Specials.
    Has anyone done this, use it?
    Any tips or tricks?

I plan to wire up the switch and pots outside the guitar, on a piece of scrap plywood, then attach the pickup wires when I install it.

Per the instructions I have to remove the ground from the neck pickup cover and wire it separately to the pots.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Re: Tele 4-way switch

I used one on my Tele knockoff, when I upgraded the pickups to Texas Specials. It is really fat in the 4th (series) position!
    FWIW I ended up with an.033 cap for the tone, and it gives the pickups a more usable sweep.

As an update, I got the new wiring buttoned up last night. Only got to play a few minutes but I'm really enjoying it.
    THe guitar seems to have a lot more oomph with decent components too it, rather than the stock mini-pots it had before.
    The wiring was pretty straightforward, though a lot of little jumpers needed to go from one lug to another on the switch,
    As it turns out, with the TS Tele pickups, there was already a third wire on the neck pickup, and a quick email to Stew-Mac customer service confirmed
    I didn't need to do anymore tweaking on it.
    THe hardest part was having to take a Dremel to the pickup cavity to enlarge it for the new pots - way bigger than the originials.

It sounds like it went well. Enjoy it!

never hogged out a guitar body before, that probably would have stopped me. mostly because I don't have a tool like a dremel hanging around.

What model Tele is it that you had to route it out to install full size pots? I've only had 3 Tele style guitars, but they all fit full size pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    What model Tele is it that you had to route it out to install full size pots? I've only had 3 Tele style guitars, but they all fit full size pots.
    it's a '98 MIM Tele.
    The pots would barely sneak in, but the plate wouldn't line up with the existing screw hole near the back.
    I ended up dremeling it out a bit to give a bit more clearance, fot the pots as well as the wires, and drilled a new hole for the plate screw.

I'm surprised it had smaller pots in it. My '99 MIM Jazz Bass had full size CTS pots in it.