Thread: Compressor?

Compressor?

I'm thinking of getting a good compressor pedal. I'd like to have one that I can use for both bass and guitar--if that exists.
    I had a dyna comp--it so colored the sound of my guitar that I hated it.

A couple of months ago, in another thread, a few people mentioned compressors. I believe someone mentioned the Cali 76--but they seem to only be making a mini version of that.

Any suggestions?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Compressor?

Cali76 even in the small version is the best one out there by far IMO.
    It works on EVERYTHING including vocals and drums.
    There are a few videos out there showing the difference it makes on things other than guitar.

I'm probably going to go for the Cali76. They make one for guitar, one for bass. So now, I've got to figure out which one is most important right now.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I have tried both. I use my regular on bass. It was not enough difference to justify the special bass one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I have tried both. I use my regular on bass. It was not enough difference to justify the special bass one to me.
    I'm glad to find that out. For right now, I'm going to use an Electro-Harmonix Bass Preacher. I do plan to get a Cali76 because if I can use it for both guitar and bass, well that makes it worth the price.

Forum Member

The more I screw with things the more I keep coming back to the Cali's (and Slide Rig) and now the Revival Drive.

I really think Origin Effects does everything right.

And I always use the OE Cali on bass. There is a vid with them using it on EVERYTHING. It also works on vocals damn good.

I suppose that's why the Uri 76 which it is based on is considered an excellent recording compressor.

glad you revived this thread. I was looking at OE the other day and was pondering the difference between the 'regular' and the 'bass' Cali76. My experience with my MXR Dynacomp pedal has made me a believer in hardware compressor especially for recording. And even more so for bass now that I have one again.

Not saying the Dynacomp isn't a fine pedal but it really wasn't meant to be a studio rack quality compressor, it was meant to be in front of a guitar/bass amp. The Cali76 is supposed to be based on one of the most widely regarded studio compressor of all time. There's a reason why that compressor is held in such esteem.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Best “neutral” compressor I’ve found is the BBE OptoStomp. I use it in my bass rig, no “pumping” and NO EQ change. It’s very similar to a good hardware compressor like you’d use for mixing but it’s a pedal. Not dissing the Cali76, I’d LOVE to have one. But the OptoStomp is so cheap and easy to use! The built in compressor in my Ashdown is really good too, but it’s not as smooth.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Best “neutral” compressor I’ve found is the BBE OptoStomp. I use it in my bass rig, no “pumping” and NO EQ change. It’s very similar to a good hardware compressor like you’d use for mixing but it’s a pedal. Not dissing the Cali76, I’d LOVE to have one. But the OptoStomp is so cheap and easy to use! The built in compressor in my Ashdown is really good too, but it’s not as smooth.
    apparently no longer in production? I found only used.

I had one of these and recently sold it. It was very transparent. I couldn't tell that it was on other than making playing 'easier".

compressors are probably among the most misunderstood 'effect' pedals out there. I'm sure I had one in the beer case of pedals I sold back in 1988 (rent needed to be paid somehow ) I think I expected it to give me Gary Moore-like sustain and thus I was severely underwhelmed.

Now that I'm basically going through my AI nearly every time I play my guitar, I'm using a hardware compressor all the time. I'm intrigued by the concept of an opto-style compressor in a pedal form, since it's beginning to look like my new recording desk is going to have to wait for my next living situation.

Forum Member

Well I am considering useing a compressor. But I am wondering if I used one could I still do fade outs or parts where my lower notes are louder than the higher notes when strumed or will it make bouth of equal loudness. I have a G Dec 3 thirty and it has commpression on it. I have only set it up for low commpresson on one preset, and it works good on that setting. But if I had a pedal that would work at least as good on a low setting I would use it I own more than one amp and would like some commpresson now and then for thoes also. I have noticed that Fender is comeing out with a Distortion&Commpresson Pedal and wonder if it will give me the same quality I get with the G Dec. So any one know of this pesal, or about a compresson pedal not a sustain at a lower price 70 to 100$.

Forum Member

I have a friend that (is a country player) and uses a compressor, and it's very tasteful. He managed to lose his between gigs, so I gave him a modded CS-3 to use. I later found his old pedal for a good price, and bought it for him, (Marshall ED-1).
    He prefers the Marshall!

I’ve only ever bought them used, about $40. An optical compressor is the most transparent, I set mine light and leave it on. It really helps when you have to turn down, helps fill out what you lose when doing so. I have an old Ibanez compressor that does the squish but sounds better than a DynaComp. I don’t use it much but it does THAT sound. Compression to me is like putting frosting on a cake. When people say they don’t like compression, what they actually mean is that they don’t like bad compression.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"