Thread: What Are You Working On Bass-Wise?

What Are You Working On Bass-Wise?

Over the last 7 months, I've learned approximately 100 rock songs on the bass. Most of it presents little or no challenge to play, but it's fun to groove these things with the band. Tom Petty's "Refugee," for example, is an easy song to play, but if it doesn't groove, you've got a problem.

What are you working on? Is there any bassist whose style or particular song(s) you've been learning or practicing?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: What Are You Working On Bass-Wise?

My last foray into playing bass was probably 50 years ago. But I've noticed lately that the worship band has no bassist. I'm wondering if I should consider picking up one? How different is it to play than a regular six-string?

I hope to one day learn to tune that damned thing
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    My last foray into playing bass was probably 50 years ago. But I've noticed lately that the worship band has no bassist. I'm wondering if I should consider picking up one? How different is it to play than a regular six-string?
    surprising amount of choices. You can always go with a Fender VI, which would be a familiar route tuned EADGBE. I prefer a four string when I want to play bass. I've played shorter scale basses and the Mustang bass was wicked easy to play. It won't thump like a Precision but it would certainly be good enough for a worship setting.

As for different it is to play? I've found it forces me into making note choices that count. As an inveterate noodler, this took some reprogramming. Since I like the sound of 4 string and the deep thump, I gravitated towards the precision bass.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It is similar in that the four strings are a lower octave of the four guitar strings. But the art of playing bass is in approaching it differently than approaching the guitar. I've heard bassists say it's easier than playing guitar, and that's true up to a certain point of expertise. Don't get me wrong--you don't have to be Jaco to make a bass sound good and groove. And while sometimes the more simple the bassline the more it contributes to the song, there's a refinement to doing even that, and that takes practice and experience.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

cont. (stupid 1000 character limit)

Plus it is easier for me to assemble a precision bass. I think I'll make a Jazz bass be my next build, after I finally get the precision bass I started back in 2017 finished.

I definitely think it helped me to be a better guitar player

I’m shedding for a gig with my hard rock band. We play out a couple of times a year and I always have to spend a day or two getting ready for rehearsas. The material is not super challenging technically but it’s the arrangements I need refreshing on. And the backing vox. We rehearse tomorrow and gig on the 16th. We’re theowing in a heavy cover of Paint It Black. Kinda like the Tea Party version without the synth parts. We’re a three piece.

great tune, every once in a while it pops up in my brain's juke box and it can go for days