Thread: Baleated NAD: Mesa Transatlantic TA-15

Baleated NAD: Mesa Transatlantic TA-15

The day before buying my JCM 800 4210 combo, I made another purchase- a Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic TA-15. I had been thinking about experimenting with a Vox type of amp and wanted half decent quality and portability in a decent price. I already had a couple of cabs with British inspired speakers and figured I'd give this one a try. When I tried it at the guy's house I thought it was okay- just good enough to take a chance on. Experimenting at home, again, I thought it was just okay. I had a little buyer's remorse (I seldom have buyer's remorse).

Then I bought the JCM 800 and didn't think too much about the TA-15.

Re: Baleated NAD: Mesa Transatlantic TA-15

On Thursday night I jammed with some friends and used the TA-15 (the Marshall is getting new filter caps, B+ resistors and screen grid resistors (one of the measures wide open). I brought my Nerby 1x12" cab with a 30 watt Scumnico and my USACG T-Style.
    It sounded awesome! One of the best amps I've played! I stuck to the Top Boost mode on the green channel set at 15 watts and Hi 1 (Marshall) mode on the red channel set at 25 watts. Very chimy, fat and bright. Top boost was a great sound for Tom Petty and Bryan Adams songs, add reverb for Mike Bloomfield, then rock out on the solos on Hi 1.

At home, I actually thought this amp sounded better through my Mesa Express' 1x10 combo cab with a Celestion G10 gold- a little "fatter". Tomorrow, I've got a Mojotone 2x12" lightweight cab to put my pair of Scumnico SC75-PVC speakers in (I've been on a Celestion alnico kick lately). The cab they're in now is huge and "boomy". I hope this one is a little "thinner" sounding.

On top of having great sounds, the amp only weighs 12 pounds. The 1x12" cab with the Scumnico weighs 30. Easy haul! If I didn't occasionally want a little reverb and rotary speaker effect I could leave my pedalboard home.

I'm really impressed with this little amp. It has it's drawbacks- the green channel buzzes a little- nothing that you could hear in the rehearsal room, even while not playing, but it's evident playing alone in my "studio".

Forum Member

Thanks for that! I always wondered about them but never got the chance to light one up.

You’re an amp whore, DON... And I LOVE that!!!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

there was a time when my amps outnumbered my guitars, and I had about 11 guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    You’re an amp whore, DON... And I LOVE that!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, Chuck!

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    there was a time when my amps outnumbered my guitars, and I had about 11 guitars.
    My amps outnumber my guitars by a decent margin.

Forum Member

Congrats on the mesa! I’ve read it’s a really sweet amp!Also,can you tell us about the JCM 800 4210! i was looking for a 50 watt jcm 800. But i decided on a Dr Z EMS. Have it ordered! Wait congrats on the old Marshall too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    Congrats on the mesa! I’ve read it’s a really sweet amp!Also,can you tell us about the JCM 800 4210! i was looking for a 50 watt jcm 800. But i decided on a Dr Z EMS. Have it ordered! Wait congrats on the old Marshall too!
    Here's a link to the NAD thread that I started on the JCM 800-

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum...755#post635755

Forum Member

Sorry. I've been working so much i was way behind on my reading! Does they rock out? I thought about getting one(ta-15) a while back. It should be a good amp! And the jcm is history for rock n roll!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffp View Post
    Sorry. I've been working so much i was way behind on my reading! Does they rock out? I thought about getting one(ta-15) a while back. It should be a good amp! And the jcm is history for rock n roll!
    HI1 (the "Marshall" mode on the red channel) rocks surprisingly hard.

The JCM 800 is something that I've always wanted.

Double post