Thread: A Fictional Tele Story

A Fictional Tele Story

Two clerks were having a slow day at the guitar emporium, when in walked a young teenager, his wallet in his hand. The younger clerk was a guitar snob who often got angry with customers who sat down and played the opening of Sweet Child o Mine. The teen approached him and said that he wanted to try out some lead guitars, "not rhythm, but lead." The young clerk was mortally offended. The older clerk picked up on the situation, took the kid back to the Fenders. He pointed to a Squire Strat and said, "That's a rhythm guitar." Pointed to an American Tele and said, "That's a lead guitar." The kid played a few power chords. No further check. He had no questiaons, but the older clerk piled him on with an amp, a couple of cables, and an assortment of picks. The teen payed his last penny and left happy with his "lead" guitar. Which clerk was most detestable, or do you think their behavior justified? The clerks above dpn't represent most clerks, but I've met clerks like the ones in the story.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: A Fictional Tele Story

Neither one is justified. Both are detestable.
    As someone who avoided work by selling guitars for a living, I did work with people like that. They never lasted long. Most of their sales would end up coming back, and they'd lose the commission.
    By asking a few questions they could have determined what the kid meant by 'lead guitar' what music he liked and what sound he thought he wanted, and get him the RIGHT guitar, not the one that the clerk (salesperson) liked or what made the most money.
    The kid might end up happy with his tele, or he may determine that it won't get the detuned, mid-scooped super crunch he wanted to hear.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I agree with you on all counts. I understand the causes of behavior like that of the clerks--you get into a job a little wide eyed but quickly grow cynical. Maybe you've just heard the hundredth player butchering Stairway to Heaven; maybe you can't believe that a customer should be so ignorant of the instruments for which they're plunking down. That doesn't excuse the clerks' actions and attitudes.

I worked retail and then at a bank for about 7 years, and we were always taught to respect the customers, even when those customers were jerks. These clerks forget about how important those young customers are--not only that, but you treat a young guy or girl with respect when they have no money, they'll remember you when they do and as they get older and have income to spend.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My first job out of college was working retail. I spent eight years, moving into retail management before I got out. These days (including today) I work part-time at a retail running store, where the lessons I learned way back then still come into play. The two most critical lessons I learned were these:

1. The customer may not always be right, but the customer is ALWAYS the customer.
    2. A satisfied customer tells a friend. A DISSATISFIED customer tells TEN friends.

Even as a part-timer, I am #1 in items per sale, and generally have among the highest per-ticket averages. This is because I listen to the customer, treat the customer with respect, and want the customer to return.

I sold audio equipment out of college too - the rule was - listen to the customer and sell him/her what they needed. If we didn't have it, tell them where they could get it. always worked for me...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I sold audio equipment out of college too - the rule was - listen to the customer and sell him/her what they needed. If we didn't have it, tell them where they could get it. always worked for me...
    This point of view is called ethics. It helps people like you and me sleep well at night.

I would have sold the kid a Les Paul - both lead and rhythm in one guitar with that single switch. Even labelled to show you which was which! Two for the price of one!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I would have sold the kid a Les Paul - both lead and rhythm in one guitar with that single switch. Even labelled to show you which was which! Two for the price of one!
    Ha ha ha ha