Thread: It's Sunday Already? Dang!

It's Sunday Already? Dang!

I'm not even up at the crack of dawn today, and no one has posted yet? I guess I'll start the show.

No first service at church today. We're having a congregational breakfast instead. I've invited my family, but whether they show or not will be hit-or-miss.

It's been raining so much here the weather people have said we've set a record for rainfall this year. It hampers my getting out and getting exercise (I hate running/walking in the rain). I'll spend the afternoon practicing, maybe writing Christmas cards (I did some yesterday) and cleaning up around the place..

Best wishes for a good Sunday!

Re: It's Sunday Already? Dang!

Band practice fell through for today. Disappointing.

But it's not all bad. One of my best friends has been here this weekend. This will give us more time to visit.

I'm on winter break now. A man of leisure, all dressed up, with no particular place to go.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

first morning I'm up before 8 in nearly a week. I've been decompressing since we moved my mom to a facility on the 10th. We agonized about doing it before the holidays but her mind is so far gone that she really isn't aware of the season. The opening was there so we made the decision (the 4 of us who are in town). It isn't her first rodeo, the previous outing at a nearby facility was short lived and miserably failed to reach our expectations. This time we're advocating for her since she can't speak up for herself. The facility seems willing to learn what she needs as long as we gently and constantly remind them. It's been a week of many texts and trips back and forth, meetings with supervisors and staff.

I'm giving myself until tomorrow to continue to decompress then it's up and at 'em time. From top to bottom I'm going to reorganize clean clear out junk put stuff aside for give aways and potential sales.

Dang, 1000 characters ain't much

One more week of work this year! I wish I could cruise through it but we've got things to get done. Today, we have to decorate the Christmas tree.

Been wringing the neck of the Jackson like a "Ghost Chicken in the Sky"! Non-county folk may not get the pun... Personally, I despise hollidays. When I was a peace officer, I was working those days. Hollidays became just another duty day, with more drunks and family fights. Grew to dislike them very much.

Now, retired and living alone, I sat and recounted the vast numbers of relatives no longer alive. My family tree today looks like a small twig showing those remaining above ground. My oldest granddaughter and her husband live 20 minutes away. I've seen them 3 times this year. Like Thanksgiving, Christmas will be my being home with my critters having a frozen pizza for dinner. But now it doesn't matter. I'm used to it.
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Just another chill day here in Deep North. No particular place to go. Gonna work on some music this afternoon. Band is working up “Heart on a String” by Candi Statin (we’re doing the Jason Isbell cover). Cool tune. I’m figuring out some pedal steel licks based on the horn parts from the original.

Rain predicted... Today we'll finish up Christmas decorations and then wrap a couple gifts. The wife has started a renewed push for sobriety - I don't allow myself to get optimistic, but she has a new sponsor who is really helping her out so far. we'll see!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I received a sad update this morning while I was at church. My phone vibrated and I looked to see who was calling. Someone who doesn't normally call, especially on Sundays. The voice message said it was "serious business." So I went outside and returned the call.

"It's Duncan, isn't it?" I asked. Duncan is a mutual friend who is now 91, and according to the card I received from his wife, is not doing well."

"No. In fact it's Mark." Mark is a 60 year-old acquaintance of ours. Apparently Mark went into the hospital on Friday, and the doctors remove fluid from around his heart, but although they thought they had him stabilized, he passed away during the night.

Mark wasn't my best friend, but I've known him for 25 years or so. He's younger than both me and the friend who called.

Time to tell those I love that I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Time to tell those I love that I love them.
    It was a kind of quiet morning for our Sunday morning breakfast group. Last night we found one of our good friends had unexpectedly passed away.

Went to a graduation party last night and slept in this morning.

Picked up my daughter at her mom's and spent the rest of the Sunday with her. She wanted to have a burger and a shake with me, it was fun.

Her mother just came to pick her up and I'm heading to my GF's for pizza and tv.

Lost a pound or two already, after three weeks on a diet, so Sunday is for the foods I love.