Thread: Curious - how many - and what are you using?

Curious - how many - and what are you using?

So - I am curious. How many of us are gigging - small - med - lg ...... whatever.

How many are doing our own sound - and what are we using (for PA)? It probably depends on the venue/gig......but what typically?
    This is not a how cheap can you build it, or cheapest possible setup, or bragging rights or anything like that. Just a "Whats currently typcial for me" type thread. Thanks

I'll start -
    We are typically a four piece, not always the same four - and usually in a 100 +/- room. Sometimes more - sometimes outside and more - but outside is a gamechanger - PA wise.

We found that as much as we like using a full PA - subs and 4 monitors, space/volume constraints and pay dictated a scaling down for many rooms. we don't feel that we have forfeited anything, just met with a solid compromise. In the rooms which pay a little more and/or the space/pay/crowd all work with more system - we use it.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: Curious - how many - and what are you using?

We have been using QSC K12 or K10 as tops for a couple of years now. I am glad I bought them - and yes they cost a lot. That said - I can put some kick in them and they project it. they haven't hiccup'd once and although becoming a little scarred - are holing up great. I also hace the QSC KW181 subs - and use them when needed, but honestly - for band gigs, I like the Carvin Passive 18s and a Peavey IPR2 5000 amp. They are light - and for our gigs, I am willing to negotiate a little, and compromise. At the end of the night - I KNOW I made the right choice. I have tow sets of 4 - monitors. One set I leave at the venue I do sound for, but sometimes bring them out - they are Mackie SRM450s - older ones. For most band gigs, I have been using mackie thump 1000 12's for about 4 years now. They are GREAT as monitors, have used them as tops, and mostly use them for vox, although they do fine for instruments - but not kick.
    Kenny Belmont

I upgraded lighting this year to ADJ TBAR Dotz, and also picked up bracket that mount to my speaker stand, and the lights mount on them. BEST choices I have made re. lighting to date. I found that if you remove the focus lenses fromt eh lights, they go from 40-45 deg to 90 deg spread and wash the area so much fuller, being placed in close. I will try to get a couple of pics this weekend with one set if anyone is interested.
    Kenny Belmont

Still using Shure SM58s mostly, Beta 52 on kick. have other mic's but mostly that is what I am using. I started getting my mic cables through amazon - and they are about $7 ea now and between sound, venue shows/jams/band - I do about 110-120 shows a year. I end up reparing about 2-3 a year. Not too bad considering some are 5-7 years old now and get handled by helpers.

Another cool find - was a CBI extension cord with outlets every 8 feet. good for front line - mains, monitors, pedal boards, etc. One in front, one in back for amps etc and them put subs on a separate line.

I carry band PA, mics, stands, cables, lights and bass rig in my minivan - and pay myself a little extra for all of that and maint. the guys have always been great helping with load/unload and teardown. I Provide the PA for 98% of our work - to maintain consistency and ensure that it is all there.

and ......
    Go..........
    Kenny Belmont

I like the way you circumvented the 1,000 character limit.

Before I retired from gigging this time last year, my band was (is) playing about 30 gigs per year - mix of bars, gig venues and private parties - always in the 150-300 person range. A small handful of larger gigs. We supplied PA for most events. We used my PA which consists of: Mackie DL1608 mixer, 2x E-V ZLX15P mains, wired IEM using an ART headphone amp./ We would rent subs for larger or outdoor gigs as required. Worked well, cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I like the way you circumvented the 1,000 character limit.
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Before I retired from gigging this time last year, my band was (is) playing about 30 gigs per year - mix of bars, gig venues and private parties - always in the 150-300 person range. A small handful of larger gigs. We supplied PA for most events. We used my PA which consists of: Mackie DL1608 mixer, 2x E-V ZLX15P mains, wired IEM using an ART headphone amp./ We would rent subs for larger or outdoor gigs as required. Worked well, cost effective.
    DD - yes sir - definitely followed you on TB -
    i actually started playing about 2003-4 and kind of cut my teeth here with some of these guys. The discussions here don't usually go into this part of stuff - and I was wanted to see if there was any interest in discussing any of it.
    Kenny Belmont

Your choices of gig gear are right in line with what I had mentioned I think.
    As a side note, I never meant to get into sound at all - but did a little bit out of necessity. Then - it became a quest.
    Now - its a side job - and mostly fun. I am learning to say no to gigs I don't want to do. It doesn't pay enough to be unhappy, or risk equipment for people who can't recognize when enough is enough *Volume wise*.
    Kenny Belmont

Forum Member

Fascinating! You are makin' me realize how old my PA stuff is...

FJ, my main gig that we control our sound is using a little Mackie 6 channel powered mixer with a pair of cheap speakers where one is used as a stage monitor and the other is a (very small) stage fill. I run a direct line into the house PA system (it’s huge and top end) and we cover the entire club quite well. For mics I use a Beta 57 and our lead singer uses an SM58 while I set up an old Shure 545 for our guest vocals/instruments. It sounds cheesy, but it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    DD - yes sir - definitely followed you on TB -
    i actually started playing about 2003-4 and kind of cut my teeth here with some of these guys. The discussions here don't usually go into this part of stuff - and I was wanted to see if there was any interest in discussing any of it.
    Right on!

DD - BTW -

I posted a couple of videos, in on the road .....

The lighting is from wash from one ADJ TPAR set, focus lenses removed for broader wash - with that Stagg Speaker stand mount I mentioned.

very adequate I think
    Kenny Belmont