Thread: Rockstar--I wanted to look cool, but...

Rockstar--I wanted to look cool, but...

I posted this on the bass thread but meant to put it in the Whammy Bar.

When I was a young teenager and started seeing live bands whenever I could, I used to marvel at how big Fender basses looked. So cool. Sometimes the bass was bigger than its player--and that looked coolest of all.

I wanted to look cool, but I'm sort of a big guy--6'1" and 280 lbs. I wanted to look cool, but in my hands, the bass looks like a ukulele. I look like Bigfoot playing a mandolin.

Do you have an "I wanted to look cool but..." incident or story?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Rockstar--I wanted to look cool, but...

Two words: Beatle Boots.

When the Beatles crashed their way onto the music scene, just about everything they did was what everyone else wanted to do, from the "mop top" haircuts to the Wellington-style half boots. In fact, Beatle boots were specifically black suede with inside zippers and chunky heels.

They were the most uncomfortable shoes/boots I have ever worn.

Beatle Boots are what Steve Martin would call “cruel shoes”.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Two words: Beatle Boots.

When the Beatles crashed their way onto the music scene, just about everything they did was what everyone else wanted to do, from the "mop top" haircuts to the Wellington-style half boots. In fact, Beatle boots were specifically black suede with inside zippers and chunky heels.

They were the most uncomfortable shoes/boots I have ever worn.
    Hey Strummer, I am pretty sure that the early Beatle Boots were leather with a kind of stretch panel so you could slip them on. They were basically formal dress shoes for Brits, but with Cuban heels. I almost broke my neck several times walking in those. The suede/zipper ones were kind of a takeōff on that.

Now we are probably gonna start checking serial numbers and finishes, lol.

My own "shudder moment" was the flowered bell bottoms I bought when I was about 16. NOT a flattering look on me, I can assure you.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Hey Strummer, I am pretty sure that the early Beatle Boots were leather with a kind of stretch panel so you could slip them on. They were basically formal dress shoes for Brits, but with Cuban heels. I almost broke my neck several times walking in those. The suede/zipper ones were kind of a takeōff on that.

Now we are probably gonna start checking serial numbers and finishes, lol.

My own "shudder moment" was the flowered bell bottoms I bought when I was about 16. NOT a flattering look on me, I can assure you.

Yeap, Chelsea Boots.

Willie, my own existence as a guitarist is what you'd call a "I wanted to look cool, but..." experience

My situation is quite the opposite to yours. You're a big man but you look good and being a tall fellow isn't often regarded as a bad thing...

I am ugly as hell with a receding chin that makes me look even smaller than I am, my hair is too unruly to be kept in a cool 'do, and last but not least, I'm VERY short at 1,64m (5'4"), which pretty much makes me look like a midget if I'm playing an average strat.

The Rick 620 is a small and light guitar, and yet I look like a child when I play it:

I honestly don't know how guys like Angus Young, Paul Simon, Prince and others that are even shorter than me get to look cool on stage.

But I don't give much thought about how ridiculous I look with guitars, I love them too much to care about that. I put them on me and play them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I honestly don't know how guys like Angus Young, Paul Simon, Prince and others that are even shorter than me get to look cool on stage.
    Two words, Sérgio: Nils Logren

But I don't give much thought about how ridiculous I look with guitars, I love them too much to care about that. I put them on me and play them anyway.
    That's the ticket!

Forum Member

Prince and others that are even shorter than me get to look cool on stage.

I am a garden gnome. Used to be skinny as hell and short.
    I broke the ice by walking up to the mic and letting it miss my head.
    Adjust it down and say 'nice, asshole' to the stage peeps.
    Just don't miss the comma...

I think you look cool, Sergio!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I think you look cool, Sergio!
    You're my friend and too kind, that's why... But like I said, that doesn't hold me back at all, I go onstage and rock just as if I were 6'5"

You're my friend and too kind, that's why... But like I said, that doesn't hold me back at all, I go onstage and rock just as if I were 6'5"
    A great bass player, Kenny Passarelli, known for among other things, a stint in Elton John's band, is about 5'1" and used to sling a Fender bass. He looked cool. Onstage, he looked like a giant. Sure the bass looked big, but a rock star is a god on stage, and the audience hardly notices size. I could name short stars all day long. Anyway, it's not an impediment to be short or tall. It's all about attitude when you strap on that guitar.

I'm just being funny. I don't mind being a grizzly bear playing a tenor uke.

I didn’t know Kenny was short. He played with Joe Walsh too, IIRC

I think you look cool Sergio. Like CHW said, its all about attitude onstage. I’m serious about my music, and as dumb as it sounds, what you wear onstage can make all the difference. Not that you need a “costume” or anything. But putting a little effort in so it doesn’t look like you just showed up in your kick around the house clothes is important.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

What the man said.......dress to impress.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

I didn’t know Kenny was short. He played with Joe Walsh too, IIRC
    That's right. I knew he was in another band that was big, but I'd forgotten which one.

Anyone with a guitar slung over a shoulder is cool. Lot's of short rockers hell Mr leather lungs Ronnie James Dio was 5' 2"...

Here’s a guy I’ve known and gigged with for over 35 years. He is (I think) under five feet tall and he might be small in stature, but he is a huge talent in the worlds of music and sales. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVlqpxAxjCc

I reached my peak coolness around 1983 for about 5 minutes. I had John Taylor (Duran Duran) hair and an Ibanez Roadstar II. It's been all downhill since.