Thread: Questions about Jazz Bass Tone

Questions about Jazz Bass Tone

I've noticed that my Jazz bass has impressive growl. I know Jazz Baases aren't known to have the low end that the Precision does. But when I listen to John Paul Jones, I'm amazed that his sound is full and round and with little growl. Did he just turn off the bridge pickup and drop the tone knob to 0? Or do contemporary Jazz Basses growl more?

By the way, I can get some well rounded tones with it through my Ampeg, so I'm not having problems with too much mid or treble.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Questions about Jazz Bass Tone

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I know Jazz Baases aren't known to have the low end that the Precision does.

By the way, I can get some well rounded tones with it through my Ampeg, so I'm not having problems with too much mid or treble.
    Not sure about Not getting any low end...I *never* have that issue -

one thing I have started doing that works for me.
    I push more bass than I normally would on the amp - more lows, with the bridge pickup maybe 3/4 up or better and *then*..... I add in neck pickup, and adjust tone.

It takes more volume or gain from the amp also, but its slightly rolled off on the bass itself - and mostly bridge pup - at least most of the time. Sometimes - I add more neck, and even take away some bridge - for certain feel or sound. But I am mostly a set it and forget it guy.

Thats my experience. Try it. if you don't like it set it back,no $$ out of pocket.

Oh - added... Toy with tone knob at that point. It makes a substantial difference.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

Re: Questions about Jazz Bass Tone

Send me your Ampeg and I'll tell you. My B&G has Jazz type pickups from a very good winder...

I want that Ampeg dammit!