Thread: Go To Bass Change

Go To Bass Change

I've always considered myself a Ric player, and it's been my go to bass for nearly 40 years.

But when I got the Precision Bass, it became my go to. I thought at first it was just the newness of it and that it would wear off, but it hasn't. I have a Jazz Bass too, but I've never bonded with it the way I do with the Precision. It can do so many styles so well, even if it only gets close to but never equal to the growls of the Ric and the Jazz. Anyway, it's close enough that I don't need to swap basses. After years of playing guitar and always having at least two guitars at every gig, it's nice to just carry the Precision.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Go To Bass Change

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've always considered myself a Ric player, and it's been my go to bass for nearly 40 years.

But when I got the Precision Bass, it became my go to. I thought at first it was just the newness of it and that it would wear off, but it hasn't. I have a Jazz Bass too, but I've never bonded with it the way I do with the Precision. It can do so many styles so well, even if it only gets close to but never equal to the growls of the Ric and the Jazz. Anyway, it's close enough that I don't need to swap basses. After years of playing guitar and always having at least two guitars at every gig, it's nice to just carry the Precision.
    From one bassist yo another, Willie, I believe we should have one of each...maybe not all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    From one bassist yo another, Willie, I believe we should have one of each...maybe not all at once.

I should be ashamed--I didn't even mention my Hofner!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I’ve always been a Precision bass guy, first bass I bought myself at 17. I was lucky to have learned on a nice Ric and Jazz, borrowed both, but decided to go with the P when it was time to get one. I think what attracts me most is the simplicity of the design. I have a nice collection of basses, and do use them. But at the end of the day I always go back to my P. Know I’ve probably talked about it in the past, but it’s not really a “normal” one. Mine has a Gibson Recording Bass pup, Badass II bridge, J width Wenge neck with a Rosewood board, and a tone knob. Only thing I don’t like about regular P’s are the necks, too wide for my little hands.

As far as amps go? I’m basic too, LOVE me some vintage Ampeg tone! A P into an Ampeg driving some 10’s IS the sound of Rock to me. Again, there’s other good amps, and I’ve owned and played them. But I like what I like
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

You can buy better basses than the P, but why would I? It does everything I want it to do.

you have to love when you find what works for you!

I have 2-3 jazz I usually play - and am thinking about selling a bunch to fund another one with the neck profile I like when I find one. It does everything I want it to *(they).
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I love my P bass..

Forum Member

I love P basses...so stop it!