Thread: Your Favorite Bass Players' Finest Moments

Your Favorite Bass Players' Finest Moments

Paul McCartney--everything on Sgt. Pepper, but the bass on With a Little Help from My Friends--well, it's full of melody, invention, and rhythm.
    Paul McCartney--kill me if you want, but I think his bass line on Silly Love Songs is just perfection. Rhythm, melody, memorable.

John Deacon--My Best Friend: His run downs add a classical element to the song and still manages to rock.

Dee Murray--He would be considered great even without these, but I love his work on Elton's Funeral / Love Lies Bleeding.

Chris Squire--Everything really. I've always been in awe of his playing. One great moment: The bass lines on Parallels from Going for the One.

John Entwistle--Again, everything. I love his bass on Won't Get Fooled Again.

I could list thousands, as I imagine all of you could do as well.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Your Favorite Bass Players' Finest Moments

Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna), along with John Entwistle pretty much defined the roll of bass in a rock-n-roll band for me. Before them, drum-n-bass were the "rhythm section" of a band and never did any standout playing.

Whenever I hear "3/5 Mile in Ten Seconds" from the "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" album, it's Casady's bass that makes the song go. And does it ever...

Guitar/bass player Phil Upchurch on the old Gene Chandler recording of “Groovy Situation” played a bass line that I always liked.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFOnZAzjeoU

He's excellent, Laker.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Billy Sheehan who I've followed since he was in the DLB. Pick any moment in his career. David Lee Roth, Mr. Big, Steve Vai, Winery Dogs, Sons of Apollo, and his own solo albums. Holy Cow is a killer cd top to bottom.

Forum Member

Wow! That was good! Thank you for that.

Billy's a phenomenon.

This is my ideal bassist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Woody

And all the other's above..

Allen Woody was great!

I like Nathan East's playing on Fourplay's debut album. I still use "Bali Run" as a test of a car's audio system. It starts with high range treble (cymbals) and then in comes East's crushing bass. Then everything blends with Bob James' keyboards, Lee ("Captain Fingers") Ritenour's guitar and Harvey Mason's drumming. Still an awesome song - and album!

I know Nathan East mostly because of his duties with Clapton, but I've long admired his bass playing. His work for Clapton is so technically good, but also rocking and melodic at the same time. His playing inspires me to improve my bass skills and knowledge.