Thread: Sunday Before Thanksgiving (US) Thread

Sunday Before Thanksgiving (US) Thread

As I type this it's 32°F outside. Exactly freezing. The temperature is supposed to go up to 50°F today. I have agreed to "walk the community" with my pastor this morning (no, this is not street preaching) to get a sense of how well our church is serving the community. Gloves, hat and scarf are on my list of things to wear today.

All I have had to practice this week are simple etudes (studies). Simple, except that I'm to use alternate picking, and I've never done that before except when playing rhythm guitar. That stuff is harder than it looks!

Wishing you all well today, and Happy Thanksgiving to all, even if you don't celebrate it in your country.

Forum Member

Re: Sunday Before Thanksgiving (US) Thread

Sitting in with the flu.
    Read the internet from one end to the other.
    Mostly boring stuff.
    Thought I'd come back here for a while and pee in the pool.

It’s a brisk, sunny day here with temps in the upper 20s so it should be a great, relaxing Sunday.

I played a fill in gig last night with some of the top blues players in the state to help out after their bass player was injured in a car accident. I can tell by the tender finger tips that it was a fun night.

It's a little warmer than that here- not much, though. I usually wash the Miata and put it away around this time but it's been too cold to put the top up!

I'm working on a friend's original 1965 Deluxe Reverb. I just finished working on his 1966 Vibrolux Reverb. Both beautiful amps. The VR is all original except the tubes, electrolytics, a couple of other caps, a few resistors and the tremolo roach that I just replaced (original Jensens like my '66 VR). The DR is all original except the tubes, electrolytics, a couple of other caps, a few resistors and the speaker. This guy gigs hard with these amps and they've held up well.

It's a pleasure working on amps like these. They make up for the POS Blues Deluxe I just worked on!

Forum Member

If you ever need to reference the caps and resistors, etc on that 65 just yell. I got one that is 100% original.

Including that damn 2 wire cord and death cap...

I have to mop today. I'm glad to have two healthy arms to mop with.

I have to prep classes today. I'm glad I have eyes and a brain that allow me to read.

I have band practice tonight. I'm glad to boogie oogie. Rock and rolllllllllllllllll.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Nothing planned for today but sleep. Our association had our annual convention this week and from Thursday morning until 3:00 yesterday. it was non-stop. Great speakers, great workshops (including two of my own) and revisiting with lots of great friends. Celebrating my 25th work anniversary next week. I had planned on finishing the lawn, winterizing the mowers and getting the snowblower out, but the shed is snowed in so maybe not. I've been awake for 20 minutes and it's time for a nap.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

Thought I'd come back here for a while and pee in the pool.

The heater is on 92 and the beer is cold.

Might crank the margarita machine this afternoon.

Pee on the neighbors palm tree like the rest of us do!

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

That's just beautiful!!!

If you ever need to reference the caps and resistors, etc on that 65 just yell. I got one that is 100% original.

We hosted a "scotch and oysters" party here last night - I'm a little groggy today to say the least! It's full on winter here now - half a foot of snow and I've had to snowblow the driveway twice this week. Will head out and meet a buddy for some coffee a bit later, but I see myself huddled in my "studio" laying down some tracks for the rest of the day.

Wow! That's incredible!

Including that damn 2 wire cord and death cap...

Forum Member

Got that from Mark's Guitar loft several years ago. He's up in Connecticut. I think it must have been packed in Nitrogen or something...

Got that from Mark's Guitar loft several years ago. He's up in Connecticut. I think it must have been packed in Nitrogen or something...
    NH, actually. I thought that was the amp. There are not many if any other in the world as nice and pristine as that one was and it sounded glorious. A true museum piece if there ever was one.

I drooled over it and had to clean it up. I hope I did a good enough job

Forum Member

It has a slight bit of buzz on the tremolo circuit now I believe, but nothing much. When I turn it to 0-0 no buzz. I play it through my light bulb to be safe and man it does sound delicious.

You played on it when it was up in his shop?

I have found a few that are almost as clean since so I don't think it's impossible to find one like it.

I'm going for a earlier Bassman head/speaker next. Then I just have to find the amp I had before I got married. A drip-edge Dual Showman with 2 dual JBL 15 cabinets. I have a slight bit of hearing left that I can extinguish like a match!

nah, only dripped on it. It was too nice to ask to play. with my luck I'd bend down to change a knob and put the headstock through the grill and speaker

I would love a dual showman. played one through a marshall 4x12 and it was splendiforous.

back around in the mid '70s, my friend's neighbor across the street offered me his blackface bassman head for 75 dollars. I declined. Then he asked for 50 dollars. I looked at it, hmm "no reverb? nah, no thanks."

I want to kick myself every time I think about it nowadays.