Thread: First November Sunday with snow on the ground

First November Sunday with snow on the ground

We got a light dusting on Friday and the weather radar is showing more this morning. I hope we don’t get too much as the snowblower is in the shop for annual maintenance...bummer.

I couldn’t get to sleep so sitting here watching a movie called “Man In the Wilderness” that is an interesting survival type story. Oh well, breakfast with the friends at 9:00.

Re: First November Sunday with snow on the ground

The weather in my area has dipped into the cooler zones. Highs in the 40°s yesterday and today. Today is the last day of my vacation, and I've been practicing my fingers off! I had a make-up lesson Thursday and my next one is tomorrow. We're actually getting into songs now. He's given me Freddie Hubbard's classic "Little Sunflower" to work on. The hardest part I've found is using the fingerings he given me.

Church this morning, then I'm taking my veteran son-in-law and family to the monthly fire department's pancake breakfast.

Cold here, too. Frost on the ground at 9 am. I need to do the lawn today, but it won't work too well if it doesn't get a bit warmer first. Last weekend before our Association's big conference so I'll be getting my suitcase out and starting to organize for that. Have a great week, folks!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Not quite as cold here- about 40f. We went to a drift event yesterday (I rode shotgun on the track for the first time) at Thompson Speedway in Connecticut and some people said they saw snow falling on the way there.

We're going to pick up leaves again. We had another windstorm yesterday. That's 3 weekends in a row with winds about 50mph! The trees are just about bare. I've never seen the trees so bare this early in the fall.

I'm a little concerned about the snow this winter. The last time we had fall weather like this, we received no snow until the end of January then 100" of snow between the beginning of February and the middle of March!

It's 85 degrees here, sun in the sky, and snow on the ground--local coke dealer dropped his stash. Hell no, it's colder than a witch's tit. Tennessee used to have four distinct seasons. Now we have summer-winter-summer-winter.

I've got the usual chores to do today. But I'll play guitar or bass and do some reading. I've listened to all but one disc of the seven disc Beatles White Album box set. It's amazing how good their songs were, even as demos. A small few changed in a major way on the album, some see a lyric change, but most were fully realized. Great to hear all these acoustic Escher demos.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Don't personally care for snow & ice. In fact, that stuff sucks, but cold weather does one good thing....
    It drives snakes and scorpions underground! I absolutely despise those things! Cottonmouth and copperhead run all over this place. And I shoot every one I see!

Other than the above things, its a beautiful day in the neighborhood [my woods] and the Orange Crush 35RT is still rockin' like a bad dog! Oh, Behave!!!
    I forgot what I was going to say...

Well, the water in pipes at the cottage was frozen overnight, so it's officially sweater weather up here in the Deep North! Had a blast of a songwriting session last night with a buddy of mine. We got one full tune recorded before we got too silly!

we had windy weather yesterday too. Don's right about the trees being all nekkid and really early this year. I'm not complaining because we haven't had our yard clean up done yet. The last 4-5 years we'd pay $$$ only to have my damn neighbors' trees litter on my costly bare grass. I cleaned the gutters where I hang my christmas lights and got them put up as well. My knees are protesting all that ladder work. I tried to go for a walk but the cold and the wind and the soreness made me give up after only 22 minutes. Man I need that treadmill in my garage.

I went out to bag the lawn only to realize that the wind had cleared a lot of them out so I'll wait a week or two...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    we had windy weather yesterday too. Don's right about the trees being all nekkid and really early this year. I'm not complaining because we haven't had our yard clean up done yet. The last 4-5 years we'd pay $$$ only to have my damn neighbors' trees litter on my costly bare grass. I cleaned the gutters where I hang my christmas lights and got them put up as well. My knees are protesting all that ladder work. I tried to go for a walk but the cold and the wind and the soreness made me give up after only 22 minutes. Man I need that treadmill in my garage.
    Rule #1 for me - always be the last guy on the block to rake! I'd feel bad about it to some degree if I had any trees on my property, but I don't. I'm just surrounded by trees so I'm raking someone else's leaves. Damned if I'm raking someone else's leaves more than once!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ranger View Post
    Don't personally care for snow & ice. In fact, that stuff sucks, but cold weather does one good thing....
    It drives snakes and scorpions underground! I absolutely despise those things! Cottonmouth and copperhead run all over this place. And I shoot every one I see!

Other than the above things, its a beautiful day in the neighborhood [my woods] and the Orange Crush 35RT is still rockin' like a bad dog! Oh, Behave!!!
    Always great to see you here, Old Brother!

Here's a pic from my son's drift event at Thompson Speedway in Connecticut last Saturday. I'm in the passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Here's a pic from my son's drift event at Thompson Speedway in Connecticut last Saturday. I'm in the passenger seat.
    WHEEEE E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E !!!!!! ! !!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

man that front left tire's toe-ing in pretty bad, mang, no wonder why he can't go in a straight line

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    man that front left tire's toe-ing in pretty bad, mang, no wonder why he can't go in a straight line
    Funny that you should say that- the car has a steering angle kit that not only doubles the allowable steering angle, but eliminates the Ackermann steering geometry. This involved cutting up the front cross member and relocating the steering rack. This helps maintain higher drift angles.

Speaking of higher drift angles, this pic is in the same turn, headed in the same direction. The car is rotated more than 90 degrees from where it'd normally be pointed. He did not spin out in this pic and is hard on the throttle. Even in the first pic I shared, we were looking at the outside wall while in that turn. I'm not in the car i this pic.

And the license plate indicates the car is street legal!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    And the license plate indicates the car is street legal!
    It was "street legal" until the end of October this year. It can't pass MA's new tougher inspections.

Forum Member

We got our first snow of the season last night - about 7 inches here in Westport, CT. 50 miles northwest they got 18 inches.
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."