Thread: Damn Fender--Left Handers Rant

Damn Fender--Left Handers Rant

I am really understanding about guitar makers and lefties; I know the market just isn't there and that I'm lucky to get the choice of lefties I get. Not great, but not bad.

But I'm ticked off that Fender doesn't make a lefty 5 string bass. I love Fender Basses, and I consider myself lucky to have a lefty Jazz and Precision. I want a five string, and the only lefty ones available online are just cheap brands and models, nothing I would trust. The only exception is Music Man, but I want a four string Music Man.

Surely Fender could make a Mexican lefty 5. I'm pretty sure there are enough lefties who'd jump at the model.

Rant over.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Damn Fender--Left Handers Rant

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I am really understanding about guitar makers and lefties; I know the market just isn't there and that I'm lucky to get the choice of lefties I get. Not great, but not bad.

But I'm ticked off that Fender doesn't make a lefty 5 string bass. I love Fender Basses, and I consider myself lucky to have a lefty Jazz and Precision.

Surely Fender could make a Mexican lefty 5. I'm pretty sure there are enough lefties who'd jump at the model.

Rant over.
    Lakland makes a five string. I played Fender basses from ‘63 up until ‘88 when I switched to Sting Ray 5, but really found the best plAying bass I’ve owned when I got my 55-94 Lakland in ‘99.

Lakland does offer some of their five strings in lefty models. Certainly gives me something to think about.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I’m pretty sure that the next F style bass I buy is gonna be a Lakland, the Duck Dunn model with their ChiSonic or Darkstar. I build or modify all my instruments but that one seems like about the only bass I wouldn’t. I’m not sure of what they offer in lefty, but I think very highly of the company.

I can only imagine the frustration that you as a lefty have for finding instruments. You ever thought about building your own from parts? There’s a lot of good companies that offer quality parts. And really, even if you can barely turn a screwdriver, F style basses are pretty easy to work on. That’s the beauty of the design, simplicity.

Best of luck to you buddy!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I would do so Chucko. But I really struggle with wiring and soldering. My hands shake when I try to solder. I’ve looked at Warmoth a long time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I would do so Chucko. But I really struggle with wiring and soldering. My hands shake when I try to solder. I’ve looked at Warmoth a long time.
    Mine don't shake, I just suck at it. So being retired and all I went to work for a company near by who is teaching me mad skills! They are also paying crap wages and were shocked I wanted to work there...but they are paying me to learn the skills.

B&G makes them left for the same price as the right ones. Tell them I sent ya and they will let you pay extra for the guitar!

The thing is, I really love Fender basses and would so love a 5 string Precision.

Forum Member

Call them up and rant! What can you lose? And waddaya use the extra string for anyways? If one of the real one breaks?

Four strings, four fingers man!

Another thought for you is to string a 4 BEAD. My main P is tuned like this, open up the nut slots and reset up. I use that bass at church as a lot of worship music uses that low B string. I could never get on with a 5 string. It’s confusing for me to look at, and uncomfortable with my tiny hands.

That's a possibility, Chucko. You know, a five string bass would be a luxury. In the band, I only use it on one song. I CAN get a Music Man Stingray 5, but when I do get a Stingray, I really want the four string model.

Forum Member

I was thinkin' about a Stingray 5 until I saw the weight. I'd have to add a donkey to hold it up.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I was thinkin' about a Stingray 5 until I saw the weight. I'd have to add a donkey to hold it up.
    They are heavy. I’m still not 100% after shoulder surgery. A Stingray 5 would kill me.

Maybe one day, money permitting, I can build a custom bass for you. I’d be honored to help a fellow forum buddy out.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Maybe one day, money permitting, I can build a custom bass for you. I’d be honored to help a fellow forum buddy out.
    That’d be great!

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    As I've gotten older I find it is the weight of my Stringray 5 that really kills me on a gig. My 55-94 Lakland is quite a bit lighter and, now this is the really good thing, it does sound oh so much better than the Stingray. Head to a local Lakland dealer and try one out, you will be very surprised! Now, one thing I'm not sure about: my 55-94 was purchased in '99 with the Bartolini pickups and I have not played a 55-94 with the Lakland pickups. One can only feel that Dan tried to improve the product when the Bartolini pickups were replaced with Hanson Musical Instruments (current owner of the company) pickups.

Forum Member

I have played a bunch of Laklands.
    I will have one eventually.
    They are a masterful product for sure.
    I was ready to buy one and I found an Elrick which I had to have then I bought the B&G (which is my ALL TIME favorite bass).

Man, that bass is super beautiful!

Forum Member

Yet I like the B&G more.

And I WANT a Precison.

And a Lakland.

I'll buy you a Lakland for Xmas. April fool! Oh shit, it's December...;

Forum Member

I am never out of April and always a fool!
    The Elrick has Bartolini's (active).
    The Laklands I played were all marvelous.
    I have just not made the 5 string jump in my head though.

oh crap. My browser heard me...

https://www.elrick.com/product/e1818/
    https://www.elrick.com/product/e5116/

I'm totally off the idea of a five string now. I am curious about Lakland. However, there is nooooo place within a 1000 miles that carries left handed Laklands. And with that kind of investment, I'd want to play one first.

I want that Lakland Duck Dunn I mentioned so bad! But it’s so much money and I definitely want the USA made one. I know their imports are really nice, but I HAVE to have the Salmon Pink one and the USA is the one that comes in that color. It’s also a special order as I want a non stock pup in it. I think list is $2.6K? And definitely more for the one I want.